Remains of the Day: Rurouni Kenshin

For what it's worth. TL;DR: Watch it now! You will not regret it.

One of the Top Tier anime. It had a reason to be famous*ponders for a while* Come to think of it, this was my FIRST anime. Lucky me. Wait a minute please. *gets nostalgia blast* Okay. Now I'm ready to begin. *ahem*

Told you. Lots of characters. And these are just the main ones.
Told you. Lots of characters. And these are just the main ones.

Story wise. It's not really that complicated. Unlike Angel Beats!! which, despite being a good anime, had a rather confusing story. The anime follows the adventures and life of a soon-to-be-not-alone assassin Kenshin Himura. He's a former assassin who wanders Japan helping those in need as a way to repent for all the people he had killed as an assassin. With every person he saves, he gains back a small part of his innocence. When he arrives in Tokyo, he has a chance encounter with a young lady Kamiya Kaoru, who was pre-occupied with a fight with a murderer who claimed to be Hitokiri Battōsai[1] and a former student of Kaoru's swordsmanship school. He defeats the fake Battōsai with ease and reveals that he is the real Battōsai. Despite this revelation, Kaoru invites Kenshin to stay at her dojo as she notices that Kenshin is actually a kind hearted person. Kenshin accepts and thus begins his life anew.

Kenshin. Himura Kenshin. The person who I suspect is responsible for the populatiry of Katanas.
Kenshin. Himura Kenshin. The person who I suspect is responsible for the populatiry of Katanas.

The character development in this anime is one of the most fantastic and well-thought out I've seen. All of the characters are well-defined in their respective areas and so they're easy to identify. The characters are too numerous for me to describe all of them but I'll say this: They all are very well done. From the moment of their appearance to the end of this anime, all of them effectively contribute to the story. Unlike Angel Beats!!, in which most of the characters were one-sided despite the comic relief they provided. Although, sometimes a sudden character change takes place which seems weird. For example, our main hero, Kenshin constantly transforms from legendary ass kicker to bumbling home caretaker in a awkward fashion.

Unfortunately, as Kenshin is an ex-assassin, that means that he also has a lot of enemies. All of them seeking revenge and the death of Kenshin. Throughout the anime, thugs and assassins are sent to fight Kenshin and in the end, Kenshin comes out victorious. From the very beginning, enemies appear which are skilled in their art of fighting so you always can look forward to an amazing fight scenes. And believe you me, there are a lot of fight scenes. Not too many though, so you're okay to go. Although, this anime does have a bad habit of making friends out of most of the enemies.

The entire anime delivers all aspects of emotion quite well. Even though, it doesn't excel in any particular emotion. The anime is laden with humour while romance and drama elements are used sparingly. The internal conflicts of Kenshin are highly effective in making the person sympathize with Kenshin.

CONCLUSION:

An action anime lovingly made with fantastic characters and amazing fight scenes. This is must watch for everyone.

Firstly, comment! And feel free to critique. :3
Secondly, if you have any suggestion on what game/anime/movie I should review next, you can post your suggestions and I'll try my ever best to entertain the requests.
Thirdly, if you would like to look up an old review, visit the Remains of the Day Group for the review index, likewise if you would like to remain up-to-date on the reviews posted, join it!

[1] "Hitokiri," which refers to an assassin, means "manslayer." Within the Rurouni Kenshin universe "Battōsai" refers to someone who has mastered battōjutsu. Source: Wikipedia.

*Impressed literally* ..Wow.. this is amazing. Not only well organized with well told details and much insight on the topic itself - but now it makes me want to watch the whole Series! You have done an incredible job and I give you my Congrats 100x over! No sarcasm I promise

On topic now - Only thing I dislike about the anime was it's lack of emotion from the main character. He seemed to..say, shows only a limited amount of emotion. Can't bond with him personally but the Series overall is Excellent to earn 10/10 stars. So again, great review!

Hmm, interesting. I think I'll give this one a look. Good review.

PS, you may want to change the title of the 1st Spoiler. It still says Stupid beyond relief inside. Just giving you the heads up :3

Best of the 3:
PS, you may want to change the title of the 1st Spoiler. It still says Stupid beyond relief inside.

Thanks!! :3 But the spoiler thing was intentional. Those were written under the label "Stupid Beyond Relief". And I colored it red to indicate it's demise. >.>

XxRyanxX:
snip

*bows* Thankyou Sir!

It's a shame it's such a bad adaptation of the manga, which is one of the most expertly executed shonen series ever.

FredTheUndead:
It's a shame it's such a bad adaptation of the manga, which is one of the most expertly executed shonen series ever.

That maybe but it was damn good watch. You can't complain. It kept consistent with the manga up to a certain point.

mParadox:

FredTheUndead:

That maybe but it was damn good watch. You can't complain. It kept consistent with the manga up to a certain point.

That point being replacing the arc that actually tied up the various loose ends of the series and explained the truth behind our main character's past with more tedious fillers, a good OVA, and one of the worst OVA adaptations ever. The manga had a nice, tight ending arc that left no holes and tied up all the character arcs properly, while the anime just wanders around with no clear idea of what to do before Studio DEEN decided to simply stop caring and ruin the series with Reflections.

It also changed a fair few of the earlier arcs like the Raijuta bit, but most of THOSE were only different, not necessarily better or worse.

FredTheUndead:
snip

Hmmmm... Well you do present a good point. It is true that the creator of the manga disapproved of Reflections 'cause of the ending.

Wow... Memory lane trip time.

But all the same, Its nice to see people promoting this. Kids these days dont know what good Japanimation is.

I have to say thanks.

emeraldrafael:
Wow... Memory lane trip time.

But all the same, Its nice to see people promoting this. Kids these days dont know what good Japanimation is.

I have to say thanks.

And you're welcome. ^_^ Although there are some good anime now and then, the old anime are the best.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked