Remains of the Day: Durarara!!

This review contains minor spoilers which may also border on major spoilers. Read at your own risk.

And please, don't ask what does "Durarara!!" mean.[1] Me no know. Okay? Good.

The story of Durarara!! is a complicated one made simple through brilliant use of narration by various characters of the anime as the plot seamlessly unfolds before our very eyes, we are introduced to the characters we will learn to love and hate in one swift motion of narration.

The main characters(left to right): (front)Mikado Ryugamine, Anri Sonohara Masaomi Kida. (back) Izaya Orihara, Shizuo Heiwajima and Shinra Kishitani. (background)Celty Sturluson.
The main characters(left to right): (front)Mikado Ryugamine, Anri Sonohara Masaomi Kida. (back) Izaya Orihara, Shizuo Heiwajima and Shinra Kishitani. (background)Celty Sturluson.

The story begins with the narration by Mikado Ryugamine, one of the many main characters. He's a high schooler who has moved to Ikebukuro, an enchanting city controlled by powerful gangs, with the encouragement from his best friend, Masaomi Kida. His main excuse for moving to Ikebukuro was to find adventure and escape from his dull daily routine. When he arrives in the city, he meets up with Masaomi who proceeds to act as the local tour guide. After the initial tour, we are introduced to the characters of the anime who will be featured more prominently and thus the entire picture unfolds.

I say many because unlike other anime, this one has no set protagonist. Each character is leading his/her own individual story which intertwined with everyone else's. It's a clever approach previously employed by Baccano. Offering a non-linear approach to a story and presenting different points of view on a single, thus giving the viewer a clearer picture. Hell, we were even given an awesome cameo by Isaac and Miria[2], which was a gesture towards Baccano.

As I progressed through the series, I couldn't help but admire the different spectrum of emotions displayed by each character. And unlike the many anime nowadays, in this one, love isn't the driving force. It's the motivations of the people. Many people who had the chance to watch the anime will agree that the first half of the anime was amazing and rather fun to watch with it being ladden with humour and making the viewer guess which solid direction the show was going to ultimately take but take it did. And with it, consequently, we lost the humour and were introduced into a more dark world of Durarara!.

The characters classification was extremely well done and, considering the number of episodes[3], the episodes were effectively used to make us fully understand the characters and their respective goals and obligations. Despite the characterization, not everything in the anime is black and white. With some very odd alliances cropping up and several plot threads resolved in curiously unexpected ways. For example, our main protagonist Mikado, despite his innocent demeanour carries with him a deep secret which if exposed, could have a lot of painful effects on those around him. And there's Izaya, an Informant of the city, who despite his proclamations that he loves humans, enjoys watching people suffer.

Our local otakus.
Our local otakus.

And then there are the people who border in the area of supernatural. You have Shizou, a short-tempered body guard of a dept collector, who despite his insistence that he hates violence, is know as the most violent man in the city. and then there is the mysterious black rider, rumoured to have no head, a local shinigami if you will. Both of these people are feared for their power and tend to keep away from them. Although the many confrontational scenes of Shizou are rather fun to watch

The art style of this anime is absolutely gorgeous. It's not your close-to-reality Angel Beats!! style but it definitely is fun to look at. The art style is consistent through out the series and gives a very nice feel to it. The opening scene is one of the best I've seen and the soundtrack is absolutely a treat to hear.

CONCLUSION:

A lovely anime which completes the criteria of being a wonderfully made anime. APPROVED!

Firstly, comment! And feel free to critique. :3
Secondly, if you have any suggestion on what game/anime/movie I should review next, you can post your suggestions and I'll try my ever best to entertain the requests.
Thirdly, if you would like to look up an old review, visit the Remains of the Day Group for the review index, likewise if you would like to remain up-to-date on the reviews posted, join it!

[1] Oddly enough, neither does the author. x3
[2] One of the main characters of Baccano.
[3] 23 episodes + OVA

Mm.. this is really good believe me, you've done everything right with the Forum. This is as good as it's going to get, but clearly the pictures and story line seem to just seem 'cliche' to me. No offense, but i've seen this style of Anime, plot, and even characteristics before. It's like a mixture of things, but I could be assuming because there is a famous quote stating "Don't judge a Book by it's cover."

It's a high school anime with a dash of the super natural.

This is the prime factor of what I meant. Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni has this similar thing going on (even though it's meant to be scary), The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is another which is my best example, and Fruit Basket too.. not saying they are exactly the same and that this series isn't bad (For all I know it can become my favorite) but they revolve very cloesly around the same catergory. This is just based on the Anime, not your Forum's work. Your post itself is wonderful so Great job making it look awesome!

XxRyanxX:
snip

Yeah. But the characters and the general mood of anime is so enchanting that I simply loved it. =3

Good Review for a great anime.

If you liked Durara, you should also watch Baccano. It's made by the same guys and in my opinion even better ;)

I wouldn't call Durara an high school anime though, since you can count the scenes in the high school on your hands.

Started off great and ended somewhere between mediocre and good.

somonels:
Started off great and ended somewhere between mediocre and good.

The review or the anime? T___T

lapan:
Good Review for a great anime.

If you liked Durara, you should also watch Baccano. It's made by the same guys and in my opinion even better ;)

I wouldn't call Durara an high school anime though, since you can count the scenes in the high school on your hands.

Baccano eh? I'll check it out. =3 Right after I'm finished with the other two.

And while the highschool scenes are limited,they still count as such.

I actually just watched the whole series very recently and loved it as well. My only issue was the ending. It wrapped up nicely for an on-going series, but with no indication of a second season it has left far too many plot threads untied. Short and sweet review. APPROVED!

Fappy:
I actually just watched the whole series very recently and loved it as well. My only issue was the ending. It wrapped up nicely for an on-going series, but with no indication of a second season it has left far too many plot threads untied. Short and sweet review. APPROVED!

I see what you did there. >_>

And THANKS! =D

The review was informative, which is all a review really needs be, but it feels far too short. It doesn't need to be a 2,000 word epic, but there isn't a huge amount of depth to proceedings. It seems to be more of a case of 'This aspect of the show is good' with no real elaboration as to why or why it had such an impact on you. There's also an over-reliance on describing the plot, which probably stems from the fact you're writing the review for an audience. I would say about half the review is describing plot and characters, which is far, far too much. Ideally you want to have the plot explained in as short a frame as possible. There really should be no simple plot exposition beyond two sentences long. If you're going to dedicate such a large section of the review to the plot, intertwine it with commentary and critiques at the same time.

The linking devices used are also weak. 'And another thing!' is far too informal and sticks out in a bad, bad way. It comes off as very schizophrenic, with the conclusion sloppily bolted onto the end. Try having a more flesh out idea of how the review is going to go before typing it up. You don't need to have everything in a point-by-point basis, but at least a concept of what you want to talk about and how you want to go about it will lead to a better presentation overall.

Sorry if it seems like I'm simply ragging on the review. It's good, and it has potential. If I felt you had no potential as a reviewer I wouldn't even bother being critical.

Kasurami:
wow that's a big snip

Thank you for the info. Yeah, I felt something was wrong with it. Just needed someone to point it out. =3 I'll get on it soon. ^_^

lapan:
I wouldn't call Durarara an high school anime though, since you can count the scenes in the high school on your hands.

I'd have to agree. It's an anime with a few characters in high school, not a high school anime. They could have made the characters a few years older and I don't think it would have changed the overall anime significantly. It doesn't really fit into the whole high school anime genre and more in the supernatural one.

lapan:
you should also watch Baccano. It's made by the same guys and in my opinion even better ;)

Well I got around to watching it and I have to agree on that one. It's pretty good. Thanks for the recommendation. =3

Rylot:

lapan:
I wouldn't call Durarara an high school anime though, since you can count the scenes in the high school on your hands.

I'd have to agree.

Point noted and rectified. =3

A very good review, I just can't agree with you on one point; the characters. It seemed to me that DRRR expected me to like and care about the characters just because they're the main characters. Its almost like the the anime was screaming "These are the main characters; they're mostly a group of assholes but you like them. No, you really do. CARE ABOUT THEM!" But much more criminally, they pushed aside the caracters that I found most interesting like Shinra's father and the cop trying to chase down Celty.

But anyway those are just gripes about the anime itself and not your review, which I liked because it was short and to the point. I can never do that, whenever I try to explain an anime I like, I just ramble on forever.

Osaka117:
But much more criminally, they pushed aside the caracters that I found most interesting like Shinra's father and the cop trying to chase down Celty.

True. Although a new episode is out. Episode 25. In this they're focusing on the siblings of Izaya and Heiwajima. This ought to be interesting.

As far as I can understand it, "Durarara" stands for "dullalala" or stuttering on the word Dullahan for some reason, which is what Celty is. At least, that's how I tried to justify it.
That said, this is probably one of my favorite series that has come out recently.

Nightshard:
As far as I can understand it, "Durarara" stands for "dullalala" or stuttering on the word Dullahan for some reason, which is what Celty is. At least, that's how I tried to justify it.
That said, this is probably one of my favorite series that has come out recently.

Huh. You might be on to something there.

OT: I too recommend this show (and it's spiritual predecessor Bacanno) to all. There's just not much out there like it. Also, one of the characters, Shizuo, is one of the greatest badasses in anime, and that's saying something.

Omg nice. :D

Nightshard:

Crimson_Dragoon:
Huh. You might be on to something there.

Actually... I'm serious. The writer has no real idea why he chose it. =P

LINK

mParadox:

Actually... I'm serious. The writer has no real idea why he chose it. =P

LINK

... huh. How about that. D: Oh well, its memorable at least. I hear a lot of people just call it "DURRRRRR" for laughs though.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked