Remains of the Day: Clannad

I'll say it right of the bat, Clannad is a beautiful anime which regardless of age makes for an enjoyable watch.

The girls of Clannad: Tomoyo (top-left), Kotomi (top-right), Fuko (bottom-left), Nagisa (center), and Kyou <br />(bottom-right).
The girls of Clannad: Tomoyo (top-left), Kotomi (top-right), Fuko (bottom-left), Nagisa (center), and Kyou
(bottom-right).

An anime which, in a nutshell, seems like your average high-school anime. But as experience has taught, it never is that simple . Except, for what it's worth, it is a high-school anime. Go figure.

The anime is set in a high school located in an unnamed Japanese town. Meet Okazaki Tomoya, a delinquent. Needless to say he doesn't have too many close friends either. A fact, that doesn't really bother Tomoya. That is, until he comes across, Furukawa Nagisa, a senior repeating the last year because she was unable to finish school due to medical reasons. Thus, consequently, making the girl lonely. Tomoya, feeling that Nagisa is in the same situation as himself, befriends Nagisa and helps her re-adjust herself back into the school life. Along the way, he meets new people who help him open his heart and thus, change the way he acts in daily life.

The entire anime has six separate story arcs in which two stand out as the most distinct. The other four arcs are intertwined with one another and all are subtle in their approach. This anime knows when humour and tragedy is appropriate. The humour in it is very well executed and the tragic parts even better. There are some scenes which may want you to grab the nearest tissue and cry.[1] The clever use of the style of animation really helps bring out emotion[2].

The story sounds like a generic romance anime but it managed to pull it off. Depending on quality, many romance anime fall short and end up being average at best. But Clannad pull through and delivers an amazing story.

This scene is the one of many scenes which will make you laugh.
This scene is the one of many scenes which will make you laugh.

The art style stands out the most. The backgrounds are extremely well done and the character animations are smooth and the lighting gave it the extra touch it needed. The one thing that intrigued me was the way the eyes were drawn. It was unique in itself and made the characters more emotionally touching.

It seems to me that every anime I'm watching recently has an unbelievably sound track[3]. Clannad is no exception. The background music fits every scene very well and adds to an amazing experience. One of the highlights of this anime, the sound is something to hear in your mp3 player again and again.

CONCLUSION:

All in all, Clannad is an anime which you'll never forget, once watched. If you're free and looking for a good anime, then Clannad should be your first priority. You'll not regret it. APPROVED!

Firstly, comment! And feel free to critique. :3
Secondly, if you have any suggestion on what game/anime/movie I should review next, you can post your suggestions and I'll try my ever best to entertain the requests.
Thirdly, if you would like to look up an old review, visit the Remains of the Day Group for the review index, likewise if you would like to remain up-to-date on the reviews posted, join it!

[1] But I didn't. I managed to save my manly tears for another day.
[2] It's those eyes I tell ya! The eyes!!! @_@.
[3] Case in point: Durarara!! and Angel Beats!!

mParadox:
Snip

Another good review as always. Did you find this harder than you thought or did you eventually sort it out?

And not even 1 manly tear when

You is heartless TT^TT

Best of the 3:
Another good review as always. Did you find this harder than you thought or did you eventually sort it out?

You is heartless TT^TT

It was bloody hard. Really. Too many people, too many plots and too many cuteness. o.o

And yes. I am heartless, 'cause I didn't cry in this one. My anticipation for Clannad After Story crying moments increases! =D

I tried to watch Clannad, but i dropped it quickly since i could not get into liking the characters. Then again, i almost never like Drama animes that much.

The second part of clannad is the one that got to me the most, the first season had a few moments but the second is the one that'll sneak up and sucker punch you in the gut.

Good review. Heard about this one for quite a while, got to get around to watching it at some point.

Ideally, I should probably take on the visual novel, but I don't really have 80 hours to spare, and much like Higurashi, the anime adaption have received unanimous praise as far as I know.

Imperator_DK:
Much like Higurashi, the anime adaption have received unanimous praise as far as I know.

You're the fourth person to mention this anime "Higurashi". *sighs* Might as well add that tomy list of growing wonder.

Nice review, just don't waste your time with After Story.

You have been warned.

mParadox:

Best of the 3:

You is heartless TT^TT

It was bloody hard. Really. Too many people, too many plots and too many cuteness. o.o

And yes. I am heartless, 'cause I didn't cry in this one. My anticipation for Clannad After Story crying moments increases! =D

If you don't cry during tat one We'll have to officially declare you as not human.

mParadox:

You're the fourth person to mention this anime "Higurashi". *sighs* Might as well add that tomy list of growing wonder.

Make that fifth, do it man!

moretimethansense:
If you don't cry during tat one We'll have to officially declare you as not human.

>=3 Good to hear. I am a demon after all.

Sober Thal:
Nice review, just don't waste your time with After Story.

Too late for that!

mParadox:

Imperator_DK:
Much like Higurashi, the anime adaption have received unanimous praise as far as I know.

Well, I'm sort of obliged to mention it. But I'm certainly not the only one who liked it though.

Imperator_DK:
Well, I'm sort of obliged to mention it. But I'm certainly not the only one who liked it though.

OOoooo.. so if I write up a review of it... =3

moretimethansense:

mParadox:

Best of the 3:

You is heartless TT^TT

mParadox:

Make that fifth, do it man!

Make that the sixth ;)

lapan:
Make that the sixth ;)

x_X So many anime....

Well, Clannad is great, but I think I was lucky I saw it before other animes.

I say this because recently I tried to watched Kanon (2006) and couldn't, these kind of animes are ALL the same. The uninteressed main character somehow finds himself being friends with tons of girls. And his friend is the extroverted and the guy who thinks he's good at getting woman, then there's the shy girl, the strong girl, the freak girl and (insert other here)

It's like this in Kanon, Clannad, even DRRR fortunately it's not romance, but it has some of that those too, the game Snow Sakura is the same (the only game I played of this kind), the recent Dragon Crisis is another one, the reason I dropped it. I get sick of this.
The good thing is I wathced Clannad soon so I enjoyed and I like the characters, but if It was now, I don't think I would have liked that much.

Also Clannad After Story > Clannad, the Drama is excelent, but I didn't want happy endings :/

mParadox:

lapan:
Make that the sixth ;)

x_X So many anime....

I could recommend you even more...though i personally prefer manga.

lapan:
I could recommend you even more...though i personally prefer manga.

OH most appreciated. But currently there 6 anime I have to finish. So let's wait. =3

I'm sorry, but the fact that you said we should care about Fuko destroys much of your credibility in my eyes.

Okay, to be fair Clannad is a good anime. The Tomoya and Nagisa arcs are a little mishandled and the ending of After Stories was flat out retarded, but Tomoyo, Kyou, Ryou, Kotomi, and Yukine are handled too well for me to level any harsh criticism.
Plus, Sunohara getting brutalized by someone who at some points acts like my girlfriend? I can't watch that without laughing hysterically.

What i really liked about Clannad though was what i'll call the "Fanfiction Episodes." There are Clannad side episodes that exist that show what would happen if Tomoya chose to go with Tomoyo or one of the twins.

DevilWolf47:
I'm sorry, but the fact that you said we should care about Fuko destroys much of your credibility in my eyes.

Constructive criticism. Much appreciated. But kindly elaborate.

You do realize that this is only a review of Clannad right? After Story's review will be typed in at a later date.

mParadox:

DevilWolf47:

Constructive criticism. Much appreciated. But kindly elaborate.

You do realize that this is only a review of Clannad right? After Story's review will be typed in at a later date.

Actually that part wasn't much in the way of criticism but me venting how much i hated that character. Fuko's arc introduced that there would be some supernatural elements, i'm not going to say she wasn't critical, but she was annoying and the fact that she kept popping up completely at random lead me to the impression that Clannad forgot it was based on a video game and not Bleach, the filler was highly unnecessary and it only served to grate. Plus, i've never been a fan of the stupid but cute archetype, and seeing someone carve with a dull knife is kind of a pet peeve of mine. I used to work in an emergency room and just felt homicidal when a patient that cut themselves with a knife got confused when i asked about the last time they used a sharpening steel on the blade.

But like i said, i forgave that because the extra chapters where Tomoya chose Tomoyo or Kyou instead of Nagisa. I didn't like the dopey specter Fuko, but i liked Tomoyo who was intelligent but emotionally oblivious at some stages, and i liked the twins because both were heavily based on more subtle character notes.

Anyway, i don't treat Clannad and After Stories as separate series, i just treat After Stories as an overstated "Season Two" label, that's why i flit between the two without warning.

DevilWolf47:
elaboration chomp

Oh I see. Well yeah. Your argument does hold water. True that Fuko does happen to be an odd addition but she does provide comic relief. And that's enough for me to give her a pass.

I watched the first episode, seemed interesting, but I haven't continued on yet, other animes keep pulling my attention from focusing on one lol.

xFullmetalx:
I watched the first episode, seemed interesting, but I haven't continued on yet, other animes keep pulling my attention from focusing on one lol.

You too huh? I'm currently watching 4 anime at the same time. O3O It gets haaaard to keep track where I am. Thankfully, Wikipedia helps with that. =P

mParadox:

Best of the 3:

You is heartless TT^TT

=D you didn't cry, finally I'm not alone!!

We is heartless!

Very good review as usual. I think this is possibly the first one of yours I've commented on but I've read almost all of them /totallynotacreepystalker >.>

Anyway, nice review! Probably should give this a chance but... considering my list of anime to watch is about 20 series long, it might take a while to get to it and I still want to avoid something depressing for a little while. I need more happy stuff :D

While Clannad is a great anime, I agree with you on that, it is terribly clichéd and I was kind of glad when it moved away from the school setting during the next seasons which hasn't been reviewed here. This season, called "After Story" is, in my opinion, a far more engaging and interesting anime. It's deeper, it has something to say about family and life, something which the first season didn't really touch on. Oh, and the creators somehow made it more tragic than the original series. I'm not going to lie, I cried like a little girl at some parts.

DevilWolf47:

I thought the fuko arc was one of the best parts of the first series. Sure, it annoyed me whenever she popped up later on, but the story behind her arc was interesting to say the least.

Anyway, I agree with pretty much everything said in this review, so good job Paradox.

Zenron:
While Clannad is a great anime, I agree with you on that, it is terribly clichéd and I was kind of glad when it moved away from the school setting during the next seasons which hasn't been reviewed here. This season, called "After Story" is, in my opinion, a far more engaging and interesting anime. It's deeper, it has something to say about family and life, something which the first season didn't really touch on. Oh, and the creators somehow made it more tragic than the original series. I'm not going to lie, I cried like a little girl at some parts.

Anyway, I agree with pretty much everything said in this review, so good job Paradox.

After Story is up next. Possibly. I'unno which anime I finish up first. But be assured that I'm watching After Story right now. So far, what you've said holds true. It's far more engaging.

And you're welcome. ^^

Julianking93:
Very good review as usual. I think this is possibly the first one of yours I've commented on but I've read almost all of them /totallynotacreepystalker >.>

Anyway, nice review! Probably should give this a chance but... considering my list of anime to watch is about 20 series long, it might take a while to get to it and I still want to avoid something depressing for a little while. I need more happy stuff :D

That's alot of anime... *looks around* Good. You're not behind me. Yet. -.O

pyramid head grape:
=D you didn't cry, finally I'm not alone!!

We is heartless!

Oh yes. If anything, I'm inhuman. :3

mParadox:

xFullmetalx:

You too huh? I'm currently watching 4 anime at the same time. O3O It gets haaaard to keep track where I am. Thankfully, Wikipedia helps with that. =P

You should check out the site http://myanimelist.net/ , it's really useful, especially for someone like me who reads multiple ongoing mangas at once.

Ah Clannad, the only anime that made me want to cry. I didn't, but I could feel the bastards wanting to come out. Clannad is one of the few anime that I want to watch over and over again, unfortunately my internet sucks so that makes it difficult.

Good review, but incomplete without Clannad After Story. That should be your next one. And if you don't cry in that one, you have no soul.

Thaius:
Good review, but incomplete without Clannad After Story. That should be your next one. And if you don't cry in that one, you have no soul.

I know I know. After Story's review will come soon. I hope. >.>

I saw Clannad a few weeks ago, all in all I believe it is one of the best Animes I have ever seen. Well, that is, including After Story.
It has been the most touching anime I have ever seen. Still have some more to see though

Sober Thal:
...just don't waste your time with After Story.

darkstone:
The second part of clannad is the one that got to me the most, the first season had a few moments but the second is the one that'll sneak up and sucker punch you in the gut.

DevilWolf47:
Anyway, i don't treat Clannad and After Stories as separate series, i just treat After Stories as an overstated "Season Two" label, that's why i flit between the two without warning.

Thaius:

Death to Bambi:
I saw Clannad a few weeks ago, all in all I believe it is one of the best Animes I have ever seen. Well, that is, including After Story.
It has been the most touching anime I have ever seen. Still have some more to see though

Here's your chance to find out what am I and what did I think about After Story.

Linkkity Link.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked