Remains of the Day: Clannad After Story

Still pondering whether it was a good ending.

Looking back, Clannad pulled all the heavy weight by introducing all the characters and fleshing out their personalities by the means of different arcs. All of them were incredibly good and it helped After Story focus primarily on the side characters for the first half of the series. It wasn't something new, but it elegantly done and charming to watch.

Do they not look adorable?
Do they not look adorable?

The good part however, starts after the first half. All the characters have graduated from high school and now have departed on their own way. At this point, the series has turned into a unique experience. It's like watching people you know, grow up and move on with their lives. It's absolutely heart warming but incredibly powerful in terms of deliverance. Almost all the side characters have disappeared from the story, leaving us with the main characters, Tomoya Okazaki and Nagisa Furukawa.

The story so far is that all of the characters have graduated from high school. Life continues on for Tomoya. Now entering his graduating year, he continues to meet a variety of different people, expanding his own world in the process. Tomoya and Nagisa's relationship is risen to new heights. And through his relationship with Nagisa, and his various encounters, Tomoya begins to understand the meaning and importance of family. Unfortunately, as Tomoya and Nagisa begin their own family together, they are faced with many hardships and challenges along the way.

Whosoever denies the adorableness of this picture is more dead than me.
Whosoever denies the adorableness of this picture is more dead than me.

Clannad, as a whole is known as the anime series which will reduce even the coldest of hearts to tears. I must be someone or something entirely different 'cause I did not cry. No, not ever a single tear. I did, however, appreciate the effort it put into the story. The emotional investment is something to marvel. There are scenes which will make you cry and then there are scenes which will make you laugh. It's a perfect mix.

The visuals and the sounds, both are spot on. The visuals are a notch down from Clannad but it's still a delightful treat to watch. The sound direction remains one of the strongest points of the anime. Perfectly orchestrated to invoke the right feeling. One thing I will say though, the ending sequence uses the song "Torch" which is highly inappropriate for an anime as emotional as After Story. I personally think that they should have stuck with the original theme "Dango Daikazoku" instead, which was a more versatile song in terms of mood-setting.The characters are brilliantly realistic. You feel as though you can relate, one way or another, to their problems.

And yet, for all of its qualities, the only flaw which sticks out is the ending of the series. I'm prepared to say that this anime has one of the best stories in the recent history, but the ending itself is so ambiguous that it leaves the viewer confused. It leaves some dots unconnected and overall feels out of place.

Conclusion: One of THE best anime out there. It has the potential to become a future classic which will be fondly for many years to come. The bitter-sweet story is excellent and will touch your heart. APPROVED.

Firstly, comment! And feel free to critique. :3
Secondly, if you have any suggestion on what game/anime/movie I should review next, you can post your suggestions and I'll try my ever best to entertain the requests.
Thirdly, if you would like to look up an old review, visit the Remains of the Day Group for the review index, likewise if you would like to remain up-to-date on the reviews posted, join it!

mParadox:

Clannad, as a whole is known as the anime series which will reduce even the coldest of hearts to tears. I must be someone or something entirely 'cause I did not cry. No, not ever a single tear.... snip

>.>
<.<
>.>

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!! O3O

*Shoves onions into face*

I agree actually. With the ending, although very good, also confuzzling. Maybe I was just having a thinky seeing as I watched it about 4am one morning >.>

But yeah, I did have to ask my friend about it and even then I had to look over it again a few times to raelly get it. Nice review for a nice anime though.

And recommendation for the next one, Higurashi simply because I want to know what you think of it.

Should have warned you about the ending. But it does make sense, as much as any fantasy-element pseudo-deus-ex-machina anime ending does.

So in the end, once I read the Wiki entry and understood the ending, I thought it was a good one. And seriously, that scene with Ushio in the field of flowers? My gosh, the tears never stop.

EDIT: In all that I forgot to tell you: good review, and a toilet seat cover!

You didn't cry when watching Clannad?

Hmm...by my logic, you shouldn't be capable of reading a captcha.

I think the review could have been a bit longer, but never mind. You probably didn't cry because you were expecting it to be sad, and have heard of so many people doing it that you made yourself not.

I won't deny that Clannad stands head, shoulders, chest, stomach, waist, and balls over all other dramas, but i never cried. I came closest to it during the Yukine chapter which was my favorit because i just find something delicious about the fact that the gangs were fighting not knowing the person central to the fighting was

Also i wouldn't call he the music perfect. It would have done a much better job tugging at my heartstrings if they used a different ending theme. That problem seemed to be pandemic with animes where they changed the theme at the worst possible moment. Maybe if Tomoya ended up with someone other than Nagisa and that character tragically died and they used a better theme choice i would have broken down. Sadly Silent Hill 2 and amores perros remain the only things that have made me cry. Silent Hill 2 made me cry tears of some perverse joy like my brain had an orgasm, while amores perros left me genuinely touched when a homeless murderer was mourning his dogs.

Hosker:
I think the review could have been a bit longer, but never mind. You probably didn't cry because you were expecting it to be sad, and have heard of so many people doing it that you made yourself not.

Nope. I just happened to have watched Gurren Lagann before it. Now that one made me tearful.

Thaius:
Should have warned you about the ending. But it does make sense, as much as any fantasy-element pseudo-deus-ex-machina anime ending does.

I know. But you have to admit, the viewer feels kinda cheated that such a thing happened in the first place. Not everyone has played the game.

sravankb:
You didn't cry when watching Clannad?

Hmm...by my logic, you shouldn't be capable of reading a captcha.

>.> *coughPubClubcough*

Best of the 3:
And recommendation for the next one, Higurashi simply because I want to know what you think of it.

And yes. Confuzzling it is. Aaaaand Higurashi is next on the list. :3

I agree with you on pretty much all points her paradox. I was kind of disappointed at the ending simply because I had no clue what had just happened until I googled it later on. It kind of saddened me that 5 years of Tomoya's life pretty much accounted for nothing, but asied from the random parallel world stuff, I think I quite like the ending. It could have been done better, but the premise behind it all is good.

However, I feel like the first half of after story is kind of redundant. We get a few more episodes at the school but the support cast is pretty much completely dropped after that. Sure, the little arcs were still as well done, but there didn't seem to be any reason for them.

Just out of curiosity paradox, what is/are your favourite animes?

Zenron:
Just out of curiosity paradox, what is/are your favourite animes?

Yay~~~ ^^

mParadox:

Yay~~~ ^^
My favourite anime are...

Kuroshitsuji
    Hellsing
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    Durarara!!
    Clannad After Story
    Fruits Basket
    Death Note
    Darker than Black

Having Durara but not Baccano in your favorites should be criminal. As much as i liked Durara it felt incomplete and slightly inferior to Baccano.

My favorites are by the way:
1. Baccano
2. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni/ Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
3. Gankutsuou (Count of Monte Christo)
4. Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
5. Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

lapan:
Having Durara but not Baccano in your favorites should be criminal. As much as i liked Durara it felt incomplete and slightly inferior to Baccano.

But I'm still watching Baccano. ;~;

I just don't get the time with like 4 anime. >.>

mParadox:

lapan:

But I'm still watching Baccano. ;~;

I just don't get the time with like 4 anime. >.>

Good, then you are in the progress of fixing that mistake already ;)

Damn, I haven't seen four of the ones on that list. Durarara!!! was already on my list of ones to watch, but I'm pretty sure I'll watch them all in time.

Oh and, Baccano! is awesome. As you can probably tell by my avatar, I really like it.

Zenron:
Damn, I haven't seen four of the ones on that list. Durarara!!! was already on my list of ones to watch, but I'm pretty sure I'll watch them all in time.

Oh and, Baccano! is awesome. As you can probably tell by my avatar, I really like it.

Good taste, Claire is my favorite character out of the cast. If you already watched Baccano, Durarara will have a little easteregg for you.

lapan:
Good taste, Claire is my favorite character out of the cast. If you already watched Baccano, Durarara will have a little easteregg for you.

And that easteregg was so damn cool. x3

A great review, nice use of pictures, captions, paragraphs, wording... this is professional-level stuff. Though I have to comment on some of your opinions here..

mParadox:

Clannad, as a whole is known as the anime series which will reduce even the coldest of hearts to tears. I must be someone or something entirely different 'cause I did not cry. No, not ever a single tear.

How much did you get exactly for selling your soul?

mParadox:
I'm prepared to say that this anime has one of the best stories in the recent history, but the ending itself is so ambiguous that it leaves the viewer confused.

Really? I thought it was pretty straightforward.

"Conclusion: One of THE best anime out there. It has the potential to become a future classic which will be fondly for many years to come. The bitter-sweet story is excellent and will touch your heart. APPROVED."

Preach it, yo.

"Secondly, if you have any suggestion on what game/anime/movie I should review next, you can PM me. I'll try my best to do it."

Too bad, I won't PM you, I will instead do it here.

Bakemonogatar

It looks exceptional both art-wise and story-wise. I only watched the first two episodes but it seems pretty cool.

Ergo Proxy

This one I've watched, and I've made several other people watch and they all agree with me: One of the best sci-fi anime ever. If you dig that sort of thing I can't recommend it more.

MisterShine:
A great review, nice use of pictures, captions, paragraphs, wording... this is professional-level stuff. Though I have to comment on some of your opinions here..

A) How much did you get exactly for selling your soul?

B) Really? I thought it was pretty straightforward.

C) Too bad, I won't PM you, I will instead do it here.

Bakemonogatar

It looks exceptional both art-wise and story-wise. I only watched the first two episodes but it seems pretty cool.

Ergo Proxy

This one I've watched, and I've made several other people watch and they all agree with me: One of the best sci-fi anime ever. If you dig that sort of thing I can't recommend it more.

=o Thanks for the compliments. ^-^
Now to answer your queries.

A) Well that was after I watched Gurren Lagann.
B) Nope. Actually since the anime is based on the game, the studio merged both the good and bad endings of the game. Pretty nifty but risky.
C) Thanks. I'll watch 'em when I'm free for exams. :3

Damn, now I want to watch Clannad and After Story again. I don't know if I can make it through without crying again, I very nearly failed the first time. Good review, now the ending makes more sense to me. I knew there was a visual novel involved somewhere but I could never track it down.

If you haven't reviewed it already I suggest checking out Shuffle. It starts out as your standard harem anime, but about half way through it takes a rather dark turn and has what I thought was rather surprising ending.

bleachigo10:
Damn, now I want to watch Clannad and After Story again. I don't know if I can make it through without crying again, I very nearly failed the first time. Good review, now the ending makes more sense to me. I knew there was a visual novel involved somewhere but I could never track it down.

If you haven't reviewed it already I suggest checking out Shuffle. It starts out as your standard harem anime, but about half way through it takes a rather dark turn and has what I thought was rather surprising ending.

Thanks and you're welcome. I'll check the anime out after this week. :3

Picture related

Cool review.

Zekksta:
Picture related

Cool review.

MONSTER!
but related to your avatar so I give you points for that.

Thaius:

So in the end, once I read the Wiki entry and understood the ending, I thought it was a good one. And seriously, that scene with Ushio in the field of flowers? My gosh, the tears never stop.

EDIT: In all that I forgot to tell you: good review, and a toilet seat cover!

True, all true, all I need now is the last DVD and my life shall be complete, and you just made my day with that toilet seat cover.

But overall I loved the review and indeed they are cute together...and I did cry...very, very moving.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked