Remains of the Day: Serial Experiments Lain

Para hopes that if this review gets enough comments and such, he might start posting more reviews again. :3

*ahem* Short version: Serial Experiments Lain. An anime which can be best described by a casual anime viewer as... odd. Its exceptional way of conveying the story and portraying the characters, its haunting music to its unique art style, Lain is an anime you wouldn't want to miss, even if you're of the casual crowd.

Lain also comes in this adorable bear suit. For some reason.
Lain also comes in this adorable bear suit. For some reason.

Now the synopsis. Iwakuru Lain is your secluded, near-average high school student, who prefers to not take part in gossip and conversations among her friends. That is, until an event occurs. A classmate commits suicide. That's not the interesting part. The interesting part is that she receives a e-mail from the dead girl a week later. Out of curiosity, Lain opens the e-mail and is greeted with these words: "I have only given up my body. I am still alive." Following this, Lain begins to experiences strange visions and events which apparently only she is aware of. Such events cause her to express interest in the Wired[1] via her Navi[2]. It is through her interactions, Lain begins to realize that the world she lives in may not be the only one that exists.

She turned her entire room into a admin office. And the parents were totally cool with that.  o.O
She turned her entire room into a admin office. And the parents were totally cool with that. o.O

The story is open for interpretation. It is, in a nutshell, the story about the human condition. And how technology is blurring the lines between reality and the online world. Each episode deals with a certain issue and there's a sizeable amount of religious symbolism, forwarding questions such as, life after death and whether God exists and in what shape and form. The answers themselves are open to the interpretation of the viewer. [3] Granted, for people who're used to seeing solutions presented to them, this anime is not for you.

This anime has to be one of the most[4] original and visually effective anime I've come across. Anyone who first sees it will, without a doubt, notice the artwork. The heavy contrast, bold colours and minimal art designs. Smart use of camera angles, impressive use of lighting effects coupled with an excellent soundtrack provides for a very effective atmosphere. These things really set the mood for every scene.

Its thoughtful, forcing you to figure out what is exactly happening at every episodes and just when you think that you have the story figured out, another knot is tied, awaiting for you to unravel.

Conclusion: Should you watch it? Yes, a thousand times over. This anime is a unique and fresh[5] take at telling a story and it delivers marvellously. APPROVED.

Firstly, comment! And feel free to critique. :3
Secondly, if you have any suggestion on what game/anime/movie I should review next, you can post your suggestions and I'll try my ever best to entertain the requests.
Thirdly, if you would like to look up an old review, visit the Remains of the Day Group for the review index, likewise if you would like to remain up-to-date on the reviews posted, join it!

[1] Word for the system that drives complete world connectivity, including all forms of telecommunication like The Internet, Phones, satellite connection etc and even though it does operate similarly to the internet, it is at a higher level of complexity and interactivity depending on the user and system accessing the Wired. Cheers Sacman. :3
[2] Lingo for home PC. Makes sense. That thing talks. Doesn't say "LEESEEEN" though. Sad.
[3] As a cookie for people living in this day and age of the Internet, there's also the future nod to Anonymous who are known as the Knights in the anime. A group of hackers who wield great power in the Wired.
[4] Thus sharing that esteemed position Clannad
[5] Haha. That's funny. This came out in 1998. >.>

Yes, thank you for doing this review... quite good regardless of how much I wanted you to do it... and as you already know Serial Experiments Lain is my favorite anything ever...

Also The Wired is different than the internet... It's what they call, in short, the system of information and data transfer that drives complete world connectivity... including all forms of telecommunication like The Internet, Phones, satellite connection ect... but it operates similarly to the internet just at a higher level of complexity and interactivity depending on the user and system accessing the Wired... also it's called The Nexus in the Spanish dub... which is more awesome...<.<

Seal of Approval...

Also... DO BOOGIEPOP PHANTOM NEXT... or at least Texhnolyze...<.<

I need to finish it...made my brain hurt in a good way.

Made my brain hurt in a bad way. I dunno what it was but I couldn't like this anime, probably all the references to technology which send me to sleep or just plain don't understand.

It's not bad, just really not my taste.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked