Top Ten PS2 Games.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

OK guys, here is part two of my look back at my favourite games of the Playstations.

This time we look at the PS2.

10 - Haven: Call of the King:

This is a game I doubt many of you will remember. It was hyped as hell before it's release as being "a game that is all games". Admittedly the result was somewhat disappointing after a description like that. Despite that though, I really enjoy playing this game. It really did offer many different styles of gameplay and was colourful and enjoyable. The reason it's so low on the list is that it's dwarfed by other games that do the same thing much better. Plus, it's a very linear game with very little to do except go forward, which is a big drawback to someone like me who loves open-ended games.

9 - Spiderman 2:

One of the things I can give praise to the PS2 for is creating a movie video game I actually like. If I had to describe this game in one sentence, it would be "GTA if it had superheroes". That's very much what it feels like. It's incredibly open-ended. So much so that the plot from the movie only makes up a relatively small part of the overall game. Not only that but the game packs in all of these interesting characters that were never in the movie, yet manage to make the whole experience feel far more like a Spiderman story than the films did. It's open-ended, there's tons of storylines, a massive free-for-all environment to explore and tons of side-missions to keep you occupied. A very good game.

8 - Devil May Cry:

For me, this is THE action game for the PS2. The gothic and occult atmosphere, the relatively simple plot and the enjoyable fight sequences make this overall just a fun action game. The enemies are creative and challenging, the environment is beautiful to look at and while the story can be a bit weak at times, this never bothered me. It's just a fun game.

7 - Beyond good and evil:

This was very much an under-rated gem for this console. It provided a good example of a female lead for a video game. Gave you a nice blend of stealth and action. It created an interesting world with a detailed story to go with it and characters that you could really enjoy. While it wasn't a spectacular game it certainly deserved more success than it got.

6 - Metal Gear Solid 2:

While it's predecessor was easily (in my view) the best game of it's console, sadly the same could not be said for it's sequel. That doesn't mean it's a bad game. Not by a long shot. The gameplay was a huge improvement over it's predecessor, as was the AI of the enemies, who acted more like real soldiers and gave you a legitimate challenge when trying to hide from them. The story could get a little confusing at times but it never bothered me. While I admit that the cutscenes were longer than I would like I was willing to put up with it because I knew the stuff in-between was worth going through them. A worthy sequel to one of the greatest video games ever.

5 - Final Fantasy XII:

For me, the is the absolute refinement of what makes a Final Fantasy game great. The characters and story were easily the most detailed and interesting of any Final Fantasy game. The battle system was great, doing away with the random encounter system of previous games and going for a more real-time experience. The dialogue is some of the best you will ever hear in a video game, sounding like it came from the pages of a lost Shakespeare play. The only real complain I have with this game is it's ultimate "secret boss". A creature so ridiculously powerful and difficult to beat that you honestly think it was only put in here as a parody of super-powerful bonus bosses. But still, it's easily one of the best Final Fantasy's I've ever played and a more than worthy contender for this list.

4&3 - Ratchet and Clank 3/Jak3:

Ever since these two franchises appeared on the PS2, it seems as though they've been in some sort of arms race with each other. Both have a main trilogy of games for this one console. Both have kid-friendly characters and animation. Both upped the ante with each game. Both had good stories. Both had fun gameplay. And both ended their trilogies on the best of the three. The last games in their respective trilogies are easily the best they had to offer, taking what made their past entries good and refining it to a point where it really does seem like they couldn't have done better. The only real difference between them is that the Ratchet and Clank game has the more fun gameplay while the Jak game has the deeper and more interesting story. But despite that they are easily just as good as one another. So much so that I could not bring myself to put one above the other. Instead, you're just going to have to accept the face that they share the 4 and 3 positions.

2 - Silent Hill 2:

Of all the games I have ever played, this one has both the deepest story and the most interesting characters. While I fully admit that this game was not scary per se, it was disturbing and intimidating. Creating themes and ideas that really make the player think. There's symbolism in almost every frame here, and people to this day still spend their time trying to analyse it. The characters are nuanced and deep and every one of them makes you wonder about the division between good and evil and how that line can be blurred more often than you think. A depressing and morose game that manages to make a story that no game I have played since has managed to match.

1 - Shadow of the Colossus:

I knew for a fact that the final two entries on this list would be difficult for me. I wanted to put Silent Hill 2 at the number one spot so badly. But I knew that if I did that, it would be a lie. Shadow of the Colossus is a better game, but only by the skin of it's teeth. The story, while nowhere near as deep and thought-provoking as Silent Hill 2, was still a tragic and moving one. There's no ages and pages of scripts here, instead the story emerges through the gameplay and the visuals for the most part, which is always a plus. The 16 boss battles are easily the most challenging fights I've ever had in a video game. The scenery and travelling parts of the game were so well-made and breathtaking I actually had to do a double-take to make sure it was computer generated. This is the ultimate example of telling a story through gameplay. The challenges you and your character goes through and the bitter ending makes this easily the greatest game for the PS2 I have ever played.

Nice selections and solid reasoning. Did you ever play Resident Evil 4 or Kingdom Hearts on the PS2?

Why did you pick MGS2 and not MGS3?

List doesn't contain Zone of the Enders or Headhunter therefore is invalid as far as I'm concerned. Your taste in games is your own business I'm aware but everyone who owned a PS2 should have at least played the games I mentioned above as they are truly awesome.

Picking MGS2 over MGS3...

*tsk tsk* Naughty naughty!

Having recently obtained a PS2, I was hoping for a thread like this to pop up. I'm trying to figure out all the games I want to buy, and while I've already planned on getting most of the games on your list, I just got a few new ones to check out.

My personal list would include Timesplitters Future Perfect and other games I can't remember right now.

But yeah that's a good list. And I still use my PS2 as my main console.

No Okami?

Son, I am disappoint.

You saved yourself by having SotC as number 1.

F'Angus:
My personal list would include Timesplitters Future Perfect and other games I can't remember right now.

But yeah that's a good list. And I still use my PS2 as my main console.

Is Future Perfect the 2nd or 3rd Timesplitters, I only ever played 2 and loved it.

OT
Star War Battlefeild 2 not on the list? It's awesome, actually i'm away to find where i've put it and stick it in the PS3!

I disagree on a fairly vast number of points there (also, no fighting games, no racing games?)... but at least you got the number one slot right, and for the right reasons.

Yeah, I'd have to add Okami, and also God Hand, a great 3d roaming fighter, that's genuinely funny too.

Shadow Of The Colossus is where it should be, I am pleased.

heres my list of ten games in no particular order and just off the top of my head from ones I remember playing and finding great fun:-

Okami
FFX
Persona 4
Capcom vs SNK 2
Disgaea hour of darkness
Dark Cloud
Devil May cry
Zone of the enders
Ico
Prince of Persia sands of time

Wouldnt say these are definitely my top 10 as there is way too many similar high quality games to choose from but these will do for now.

No Ace Combat 5.
No Kingdom Under Fire: Crusaders.

Your list in incomplete my good sir.

How has no one mentioned the God of War games? God of War II is about as solid a hack and slash game as has ever been made. Incedible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction was also great chaotic fun.

We seem to have almost exact opposite opinions on FF12, but every other game in that list we've both played, I agree with. Just curious, have you played Kingdom Hearts or the Sly Cooper series?

The lack of Pandemic Studios' games makes me sad...

thejboy88:

Ever since these two franchises appeared on the PS2, it seems as though they've been in some sort of arms race with each other.

Actually, Naughty Dog and Insomniac Games are actually good friends with each other, they both shared an office when they were starting out on the PS1 and helped each other with software. That's why the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games contained demos for each other's games and the Ratchet and Clank and Jak series both include references and easter eggs to eachother.

I just wish that Naughty Dog continued th Jak series on PS3, Jak 3 did end on a cliffhanger after all.

Wait, the characters in FFXII were the most refined of the series? Those piles of personality-devoid plot devices? I didn't have everything about XII, but it's complete lack of character development, interaction, and drama put it as one of my least favorite of the series. We're all entitled to our opinions, of course, I just don't understand how one could possibly think those characters were more detailed than those of almost all the other games in the series.

OT: I'm a writer who loves making big, long posts, but most of these games have been talked about enough (some even in the OP) that I don't need to elaborate, nor do I have time to, so I won't. Here's the list, in tentative order, 'cause this is hard. Also, I'm assuming we're not limiting ourselves to exclusives, though many of these are anyway.

10. Rogue Galaxy
9. Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy)
8. Jak II
7. Fatal Frame
6. Okami
5. Beyond Good and Evil
4. Final Fantasy X
3. Ico
2. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
1. Shadow of the Colossus

not bad. happy about ratchet and clank/jak, although I always found jak 2 to be better than 3. It just always seemed more challenging, but that being said, I didn't get to jak 3 until quite a bit after it's release, so I was much older and wiser, and that's probably why I liked 2 better.

As for SotC, glad to see it as 1, although it tends to be a bit of a forgone conclusion around here that it'll be way up there (not that I'm complaining). In all honesty though, the first couple weren't so tough. I didn't really find any of the colossi deserved a tag of "hard boss" until the weird horsey one with the tombs, which I think was 4th or 5th.

If you wanted to get the translation, Policenauts would probably rank up there.

varulfic:
Why did you pick MGS2 and not MGS3?

Because I only ever played an hour at the start of the game.

It wouldn't be fair to other games if I chose a game for the list I hadn't finished yet.

Thaius:
Wait, the characters in FFXII were the most refined of the series? Those piles of personality-devoid plot devices? I didn't have everything about XII, but it's complete lack of character development, interaction, and drama put it as one of my least favorite of the series. We're all entitled to our opinions, of course, I just don't understand how one could possibly think those characters were more detailed than those of almost all the other games in the series.

The reason I think they're the best cast is that they're not just stereotypes like other FF game characters. true that might make them come off as generic, but it also made them (in my eyes at leas) far more realistic.

freakydan:
How has no one mentioned the God of War games? God of War II is about as solid a hack and slash game as has ever been made. Incedible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction was also great chaotic fun.

I never played the God of War games, that's why they're not on the list.

In fact, given how many people have said positive things about the games noted as not being on this list, they're most likely not on here because I have not played many of them.

No Okami. No God of War. No Persona. Apart from the other games in the franchises I've already mentioned on the list (as well as several less-known games that I just think are terrible) the games on the list are pretty much my only games for the PS2.

I would toss in Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk's Underground Two. ... But that's just me, dunno how others think about em.

I don't know about a top 10 but personal favourites of mine were gta3, vice city, san andreas, baldurs gate 1&2 and the hack and slash lord of the rings games.

thejboy88:

freakydan:

I never played the God of War games, that's why they're not on the list.

In fact, given how many people have said positive things about the games noted as not being on this list, they're most likely not on here because I have not played many of them.

No Okami. No God of War. No Persona. Apart from the other games in the franchises I've already mentioned on the list (as well as several less-known games that I just think are terrible) the games on the list are pretty much my only games for the PS2.

Right, I wasn't so much surprised that YOU hadn't mentioned them, since I don't expect everyone to have played them, or even enjoyed them. I just thought it was weird that, after 15 posts on a site devoted to gaming, no one had mentioned either of the critically acclaimed titles, neither of which are particularly hip to "hate" on.

On a side note, they're both tons of fun. If you can get your hands on a copy (they're pretty easy to find used), you should definitely give them a shot.

no kingdom hearts 2? no zone of the enders 2? NO METAL GEAR SOLID 3?

thejboy88:

Ever since these two franchises appeared on the PS2, it seems as though they've been in some sort of arms race with each other. Both have a main trilogy of games for this one console. Both have kid-friendly characters and animation. Both upped the ante with each game. Both had good stories. Both had fun gameplay. And both ended their trilogies on the best of the three. The last games in their respective trilogies are easily the best they had to offer, taking what made their past entries good and refining it to a point where it really does seem like they couldn't have done better. The only real difference between them is that the Ratchet and Clank game has the more fun gameplay while the Jak game has the deeper and more interesting story. But despite that they are easily just as good as one another. So much so that I could not bring myself to put one above the other. Instead, you're just going to have to accept the face that they share the 4 and 3 positions.

The Ratchet games were not part of a main trilogy - if anything, the "Future" series on PS3 is far closer to a trilogy than the PS2 games that can all be taken separately. Besides, Deadlocked and Size Matters were both considered by Insomniac to be part of the main series and not just spin offs.

In other words, the PS2 Ratchet games were not part of a trilogy. They were all taken separately.

I do agree with some of your other mentions; I haven't played most of them though, I'll have to find them someday.

I'm too much of a racer to agree with your top ten completely, but no doubt they were all pretty good games.

ChupathingyX:

thejboy88:

Ever since these two franchises appeared on the PS2, it seems as though they've been in some sort of arms race with each other.

Actually, Naughty Dog and Insomniac Games are actually good friends with each other, they both shared an office when they were starting out on the PS1 and helped each other with software. That's why the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games contained demos for each other's games and the Ratchet and Clank and Jak series both include references and easter eggs to eachother.

I just wish that Naughty Dog continued th Jak series on PS3, Jak 3 did end on a cliffhanger after all.

What? Shit now I have to replay it. I thought they explained everything, Daxter got pants, and the whopping twist gave me whiplash. (Seriously the highlight of ND's story telling) I don't remember a cliffhanger.

OT:I honestly think it's impossible to make a list like this. There were SO many games, over 2,000, and everytime I think of one awesome game it reminds me of more. And for some reason I'm thinking of Paraper the rapper, Gran Turismo 2, and Colony Wars....weird.

believer258:

The Ratchet games were not part of a main trilogy - if anything, the "Future" series on PS3 is far closer to a trilogy than the PS2 games that can all be taken separately. Besides, Deadlocked and Size Matters were both considered by Insomniac to be part of the main series and not just spin offs.

Oh wow. I remember Size Matters. I had it on PSP before it got ported. I must have played through that game twenty times, partially because of how easy it was to do that, but damn that game was fun.

ChupathingyX:

thejboy88:

yeah because uncharted is so bad?
they make a new IP every cycle, and it works well. I say leave em to it.

OT
no timespliters 2? FOR SHAME (ts2 is better than 3 for the sole reason that they included STATS, making characters play differently)

EHKOS:

What? Shit now I have to replay it. I thought they explained everything, Daxter got pants, and the whopping twist gave me whiplash. (Seriously the highlight of ND's story telling) I don't remember a cliffhanger.

Maybe "cliffhanger" is the wrong word, however, it didn't exactly wrap things up very well.

"Wow, Jak is Mar...holy shit!"
"Wow that is so cool, who wants to go drive some cars now?"

bahumat42:
yeah because uncharted is so bad?
they make a new IP every cycle, and it works well. I say leave em to it.

When did I say that Uncharted is bad? I never even implied that.

It is possible for Naughty Dog to continue the Jak and daxter series while also working on Uncharted, Insomniac Games have been working on both R&C and Resistance this whole time.

god ! i have not believe NO.1 is Shadow of the Colossus . i think NO.1 is Silent Hill 2 ! my mind ! image

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked