Review Wars V- Scores Now Live! Reviewer Champion Declared!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

REVIEW WARS V

Disclaimer: This is not an official feature of the Escapist Magazine or Website

And the winner is....

Who reviewed what game under which name
RV:AB - Angry Birds - Sassafrass
RV:RT - Ristar - NeutralDrow
RV:P2 - Portal 2 - Snuggle
RV:DAH - Destory All Humans - VaudevillianVeteran
RV:VBL - Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines - LostInTheVoid

Congratulations to our New Champion, and many thanks to our judges for making Review Wars V a success!

For detailed results, please see Page 2 of this thread.

Feel Free to check my math if I got any scores or anything mixed up

Judges:
Harshest Judge: New Classic awarded 58 out of a possible 100 points
Most Generous Judge: Hear of Darkness awarded 70 out of a possible 100 points
Most Efficient Judge: Heart of Darkness
Least Efficient Judge: Blue Ink Alchemist
Best Uintentionally Hilarious Moment: LostInTheVoid, Classy shirtless Email Profile Picture, bro :P

Judging Stats:
Average Mean of Scores: 13.04
Standard Deviation: 1.9

Heart of Darkness
Mean: 14
Std Dev: 2.09
Max: 18
Min: 12

Maet
Mean: 13.2
Std Dev: 1.6
Max: 15
Min:11

Pigeon of Doom
Mean: 13
Std Dev: 1.5
Max: 16

Blue Ink Alchemist
Mean: 13.4
Std Dev: 1.9
Max: 17

New Classic
Mean: 11.6
Std Dev: 1.4
Max: 14
Min: 10

Commissioner's Thoughts

by Pimppeter2

Well, it was a close race for everything except 1st. Fun to see all the scores come in, even if there wasn't as much of a variety as in previous Review Wars. I was a little disappointed that we only got 5 entries, meaning we couldn't do our usual top 3. Instead only 1 person got an award. I was hoping this theme would bring in more unique reviews. Especially older games like "Donkey Kong" or "Sonic." But I still had fun with it. I'm definitely looking forward to next time, so feel free to mention some themes for the next one. Even if I think my next idea is a winner already. Congrats to Drow, he earned it!

can i get in on it this year even though i haven't really written anything before on this site? also, is there a cutoff year?

Divine Miss Bee:
can i get in on it this year even though i haven't really written anything before on this site? also, is there a cutoff year?

Yes. In fact we encourage newcomers to try their hands at the competition. Even if you don't win, or even come close, the knowledge you gain and the advice you get from our well-accomplished judges is invaluable to writers. Besides, its a great way to get your name out there if you do well.

No, games can be from any year as long as they fit the topic of this competition.

These questions have been added to the official Q&A

Hmm, the prompt did throw me off. I liked having these as motivation for my own reviews (nothing adds to work ethic like a deadline), but nothing in my upcoming review list had a non-human protagonist that I knew of. Non-human love interests, perhaps (demons, fairies, alients, etc.), but not protagonists.

Then something glaringly obvious struck me, so I have an idea. I'd like to join in.

...wait, this is number five? Did I miss a review war? I know I participated twice, and skipped one...

NeutralDrow:
Hmm, the prompt did throw me off. I liked having these as motivation for my own reviews (nothing adds to work ethic like a deadline), but nothing in my upcoming review list had a non-human protagonist that I knew of. Non-human love interests, perhaps (demons, fairies, alients, etc.), but not protagonists.

Then something glaringly obvious struck me, so I have an idea. I'd like to join in.

...wait, this is number five? Did I miss a review war? I know I participated twice, and skipped one...

Probably the one hosted by Maet this time last year when I left the site for a bit. It was Review Wars 4. Its canon :P

Im glad to see you in this. You're a Review Wars Classic.

I was actually looking to review a game before I saw this so I was all like :D
Then I saw the prompt and was all like D:

But I'm sure I have some other game that can fit it. I'll see if I can't have a shot at it. My reviews aren't all that good but meh, it's a nice pass time either way.

Well, call me interested, my first time participating in a Review War.
Best of luck to everyone participating. :3
I only hope that the game I've picked is any good. >>

VaudevillianVeteran:
Well, call me interested, my first time participating in a Review War.
Best of luck to everyone participating. :3
I only hope that the game I've picked is any good. >>

Nice to meet you Interested. :P

OT: Hmm. Guess I had to start playing with the big boys and actually reviewing useful things sometime...
Now to see if I can find a good game.

Jedamethis:

Nice to meet you Interested. :P

OT: Hmm. Guess I had to start playing with the big boys and actually reviewing useful things sometime...
Now to see if I can find a good game.

Cheeky bugger. XD

Hmm...

I suppose I can give it a whirl. Already got the game; I'll just get it checked out to see if its viable.

Pimppeter2:
Its cannon :P

I might just need to bring out the heavy artillery this time around. But it's gonna cost me a fortune in red ink...

Question: What happens if the game has a choice of whether you want to be a human or not? Now, I don't own Skyrim, but if it's anything like Oblivion, you can be a human, or you can be an elf, tiger-thing, orc, etc. So can you do that game (or another like it -- I'd like to repeat that I'm not doing Skyrim and don't even own it) because there's an option for a non-human, or is it disqualified because you can be a human?

OT: I might enter. I'd have to find a game to do first, but I could probably get something done.

Oh, and topic is stickied. For now, at least. I'll unsticky it after the deadline has passed.

A game that has a non-human protagonist and a 800-1000 word limit? Damn, looks like I'm out already (planned on doing a book with a human protagonist and I know I'll blow past the 1000 word maximum).

Heart of Darkness:
Cannon, you say?

What? I'm a pirate!

Marter:
Question: What happens if the game has a choice of whether you want to be a human or not? Now, I don't own Skyrim, but if it's anything like Oblivion, you can be a human, or you can be an elf, tiger-thing, orc, etc. So can you do that game (or another like it -- I'd like to repeat that I'm not doing Skyrim and don't even own it) because there's an option for a non-human, or is it disqualified because you can be a human?

OT: I might enter. I'd have to find a game to do first, but I could probably get something done.

Oh, and topic is stickied. For now, at least. I'll unsticky it after the deadline has passed.

I'd appreciate if you unsticky it now. People tend to skip over stickies, and Review Wars was never stickied, by tradition.

I wouldn't count Skyrim, but that's only for that game. There is no disqualification if you can be human, but its a fine line, so its better to ask me on an individual basis. I wont give a general view on it in fear of limiting games.

soren7550:
A game that has a non-human protagonist and a 800-1000 word limit? Damn, looks like I'm out already (planned on doing a book with a human protagonist and I know I'll blow past the 1000 word maximum).

Review wars will never do anything but video game submissions. At least in the foreseeable future. You'd be surprised how many words 1000 words is. Its a talent in itself to make every word count.

Pimppeter2:
I'd appreciate if you unsticky it now. People tend to skip over stickies, and Review Wars was never stickied, by tradition.

If you say so. It's done.

Marter:

Pimppeter2:

If you say so. It's done.

No worries, so, what do you say, are you in?

Pimppeter2:

soren7550:

Review wars will never do anything but video game submissions. At least in the foreseeable future. You'd be surprised how many words 1000 words is. Its a talent in itself to make every word count.

Oh well.

Maybe if I think hard enough I'll come up with a game. Skyrim has lizard people and kitties, that counts, right? Blops has wooden actors, and trees aren't people.

Hey, this will be easier to figure out than I though! :D

Pimppeter2:

Not sure yet. There's a good chance I won't be, but I'll give you a definite answer in a couple of days.

soren7550:

Pimppeter2:

soren7550:

Oh well.

Maybe if I think hard enough I'll come up with a game. Skyrim has lizard people and kitties, that counts, right? Blops has wooden actors, and trees aren't people.

Hey, this will be easier to figure out than I though! :D

Skyrim doesnt count. Sorry to say. Neither does Blops :P

But we'd love it if you participate. Its not that hard to think of a good one. I mean, there are a lot of games people overlook.

Marter:

Pimppeter2:

Not sure yet. There's a good chance I won't be, but I'll give you a definite answer in a couple of days.

Oh well, Okay. I look forward to it.

This is a post to state my interest in this competition.
I've got a couple of ideas rolling around in my head.

Pimppeter2:

Just re-read the date. I originally thought it was December 27th, not the 17th. That falls right in the middle of exams, so I'm out. Sorry.

Quick question, if they were previously human, but then oh... Let's just say made into a Lich, or a technical zombie, or some other un-dead possibly vampiric form, before the game takes place, would that still work? I'll send a PM if more clarification is needed.

Sassafrass:
This is a post to state my interest in this competition.
I've got a couple of ideas rolling around in my head.

Looking forward to it!

Marter:

Pimppeter2:

Just re-read the date. I originally thought it was December 27th, not the 17th. That falls right in the middle of exams, so I'm out. Sorry.

No worries, hopefully next time will come quicker!

Safe in the Dark:
Quick question, if they were previously human, but then oh... Let's just say made into a Lich, or a technical zombie, or some other un-dead possibly vampiric form, before the game takes place, would that still work? I'll send a PM if more clarification is needed.

Yes, but I suggest pming me just in case as well.

So does this mean non human protag, or non humanoid?

Lost In The Void:
So does this mean non human protag, or non humanoid?

Non human.

Interesting prompt. I've never done Review Wars, but it caught my eye this year and I want to give it a go. I'm just having trouble thinking of games I've played with non-human protagonists...

I mean there are lots from early gaming days, but I'd like to review something with more of a story than Crash Bandicoot or Spyro the Dragon. There's Okami, but everyone will be doing Okami... Hmm. Further thought will be given.

EDIT: What about a game where a plot twist involves the player character not being human? It would technically apply, but I feel like that might be cheating and putting people at risk of unwanted spoilers. But I've already thought of two great games that fit that...

Newcomer to the site in general, but this seems pretty fun so I may enter if I can think of something to review.

Thaius:

EDIT: What about a game where a plot twist involves the player character not being human? It would technically apply, but I feel like that might be cheating and putting people at risk of unwanted spoilers. But I've already thought of two great games that fit that...

I'd suggest you PM me. A lot of games seem to be on a case by case basis.

Gazoinks:
Newcomer to the site in general, but this seems pretty fun so I may enter if I can think of something to review.

Welcome :)

We'd love it if you did. And I look forward to it if you do

This is my last day of internet connection until the 20th, and I just found this.

WELP. THIS SUCKS.

(But seriously guys, have fun! And please let me know when the next one starts!)

Lord Krunk:
This is my last day of internet connection until the 20th, and I just found this.

WELP. THIS SUCKS.

(But seriously guys, have fun! And please let me know when the next one starts!)

I'll accept a 20th submission, if you'll take a deduction of 2 points.

Just a friendly nudge to get the word to any interested candidates.

Pimppeter2:
Just a friendly nudge to get the word to any interested candidates.

STOP YOU HAVE VIOLATED THE LAW

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked