My review for star wars TOR, as a MMO

So I'm not too great at these, but I love giving my opinion. My grammar is pretty horrid so you are going to have to bare with me for this review, this is not a review for Star wars as a game, its for star wars as a MMO. I will be covering my experience with the game.

Its enjoyable in its own way.

Let me just put that first, the game is fun don't get me wrong, but it feels like something is missing. Oh, that's right. the mmo part. I went into this game thinking "Oh look a star wars MMO, finally I can go out with my friends and swing my lightsaber around, we can become sith lords together. (Or Jedi master if that's your thing) My friend got a head start and he told me not to get to hyped about it. Too bad, I love star wars, even the prequels (don't kill me).

I started up the game and made a bounty hunter. I figured I would save the awesomeness of a sith for later, it felt weird like I was missing something. I tried to party with some guys so they could help me with the main quest. Not that I needed help it seemed pretty easy for me to cut down my foes with a bit of blaster fire, But I wanted companionship.

I started the main quest with some guy I made friends with and I went to the entry area for the quest. He was denied access. "Oh" I said. "I guess this stops others from getting the quest that is not apart of their storyline." I got the instructions for the quest. Easy stuff, go kill some douche bag who thinks hes tough. Fine by me. When we got to the quest it blocked his access, Apparently he was not even allowed to join me in the "questing" part. That was fine. We parted ways and I leveled up to ten on my own. Once I reached my second class I tried to find a party.

Nobody wanted to party. At least not at level 10. It wasn't that big of a deal, but I had already spent 5 hours in the MMO, by myself. I got to 15, still no people partying. I felt empty and alone. I was told by my real life friend that people start to party around 30, More than half way to max level. Funny thing was. He was 40 and STILL soloing. There were a few groups for some side missions but nothing special. I found that the main storyline was a "Single Player Experience" and I was told by some higher levels that it really gets MMOish when you hit 50. Oh great, now I have to hit max level to get a party. I was also told it was mostly PVP but that can't be confirmed by me because I stopped at 20 and deleted my character (Didn't like merc) I went through the same thing with the sith warrior, but it still didn't feel right. This was a MMO

Now I'm not saying the game is bad, its not at all. It just feels like a single player game mixed with some MMO bits here and there just so they can change you a monthly fee.

I have a feeling if they had went in the single player ONLY way, I would have been more likely to keep playing, but that's what I like about MMOs. Playing the STORYLINE with friends, leveling up with them. THEN doing PVP.

Guild wars was a great example of how a MMO should work, the missions can be done with party members, and you can actually find party members in the area that the mission is in, well not anymore. GW is pretty much dead.

I honestly can't convince myself to pay 30$ every two months for something that FEELS like a single player game. I'd feel better off just playing through KOTOR again and enjoying the peace and quiet.

NOTE: THIS IS MY OPINION. PLEASE DON'T BASH IT OR SAY I AM WRONG BECAUSE EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINION, If you like it, AWESOME. I'm happy that you can find a game that you like in this market now adays. I'm just stating how I feel about the games MMO experience.

(Yes i know the main quest can be played with people of the same class, but most of my friends play different classes, and are either further in the game, or just want to solo)

So yeah that's my review of TOR as a single player experience. I may continue the game for the story since i heard the main quest is pretty solo-able, since I have some time left on my account (maybe a few weeks). Feel free to post your feelings, or thoughts. They are most welcome.

On a final note I feel that I should recommend this game, I enjoy it, its just not an MMO for me, feels like something I'd pay a month for, beat the story, and move on.

good review. very well written, you obviously put a great deal of thought into it.

I think Bioware's intent was to take the traditional MMO concept and personalize it more to the player. Every MMO I've played has eventually left me bored or lacking motivation to keep going. It all becomes a number crunch, there's no story, and as you mentioned, if people aren't around to group with, you're just bored.

I think the main drawback to their approach isn't going to be long-term, though. Starting out we each make a character, play through the character's story (which is pretty enjoyable, I suggest you try Agent class) and once you get to a higher level there will be more MMO style grouping that we've all come to know. But the weight of those groups, raids, battles won't be a simple "Let's just run this for gear, get out of the way noobs," issue because you'll be more invested in your character.

I think it's hard to judge the game based on what we've seen thus far. This isn't a console title, it's not supposed to be complete on Day 1. It's going to grow and expand. I hope, at least...

Adultism:
I started the main quest with some guy I made friends with and I went to the entry area for the quest. He was denied access. "Oh" I said. "I guess this stops others from getting the quest that is not apart of their storyline." I got the instructions for the quest. Easy stuff, go kill some douche bag who thinks hes tough. Fine by me. When we got to the quest it blocked his access, Apparently he was not even allowed to join me in the "questing" part. That was fine. We parted ways and I leveled up to ten on my own. Once I reached my second class I tried to find a party.

There's an issue in the game when you and someone else are on different steps of the same instanced area. It either won't let you group up, or it won't let you step into the instance in question, until you have right clicked on your portrait and chosen "Reset local instances". This presumably is to keep people from entering an instance to try and complete a quest where someone else has already advanced it halfway, therefore not allowing them access to all objectives.

I've co-oped the game since minute 1 with my girlfriend. We can enter all instances together, including one another's story specific instances.

All that said, TOR is very solo friendly and there's less of an emphasis on forced grouping than ever, so yeah...you're going to run into a lot of people quietly soloing. But I do see flashpoint and heroic groups forming regularly on my server, at least, so it's possible you just had a bad run of luck.

It's good to hear from someone who is a huge Star Wars fan, and has played mmos before.

I spent about 45 hours on the game, playing 5 or 6 classes, and some just seem impossible after a certain point. I was told that playing with others is largely optional, although for certain quests, it is a VERY good idea to party with others. A couple of friends have even invited em to join a guild they were forming for flash points and other group activities.

I like soloing myself, but have been finding so many quests buggy, and some missions impossible to beat (probably because those are meant for more than one player, or because mmos are just not my thing.)

The biggest complaint I have is the lack of ability for the classes I have tried to DODGE, or any other defense capabilities whatsoever. Maybe being new to mmos is the reason I find the combat so crappy, but I felt as if this brief time with Sw:tOR was a waste of money.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked