Remains of the Day: Soul Eater

I should give AMVs more credit than I do. >.>

Unknown to human eyes, a battle rages on between good and evil. A war between demons and Death Lords. "Death Weapon Meister Academy" is a school, founded and headed by Lord Death himself, to cater to the needs of children who had the talents necessary to turn into a Death Lord and Death Weapons. The people who wield the Death Weapons are known as 'weapon meisters', humans with exceptional combat skills and talents whereas the weapons they wield are their partners, humans who are able to transform into weapons with the specific duty of eliminating evil souls.

You're a winner, right here!
You're a winner, right here!

Maka Albarn, a weapon meister is one such student who attends this Academy, she along with her partner Soul, a weapon, battle entities who possess kishin souls. The condition for a 'weapon' to become a Death Weapon is for the 'weapon in training' to consume 99 kishin souls and along with 1 witch's soul. The last part is extremely important and must be executed perfectly otherwise, the last 99 souls will be confiscated and the trainers will have to try again. As you can guess, this is exactly what happens to Maka and Soul. But fear not! To help them on their path to rediscovery is Black Star, a ridiculously arrogant yet powerful meister and his shadow weapon, Tsubaki, the polar opposite of Black Star in every way . Later on, the team is joined by Death the Kid, the son of Lord Death and a Grim-reaper and his twin weapons, Liz and Patty Thompson.

And interesting concept, and with Soul Eater, it's a hit and miss. It's there but not really quite there yet. The first few episodes, are presented in the usual orderly fashion, but it seemingly can't commit itself to a pace! Sometimes, things are taken slowly, while on the other hand, sometimes everything is happening is so fast that it's irritating. In the grand scheme of things, such moments really do not sit well with the setting. Having 51 episodes, the problem is only compounded by the fact there are a number of filler episodes which attempt to give a back story to the main and side characters. However, in the end, they do not achieve the set target, only breaking up the pace that the previous episodes had laid out. However, despite this, there are moments which are truly memorable. And for that, I'm appreciative.

You'll love him... and then hate him. Fools.
You'll love him... and then hate him. Fools.

The cast of Soul Eater is vibrant and lively enough and but falls short of making a truly memorable cast. Maka and Soul make a powerful team and this point is hit home again and again throughout the series, with both supporting each other thought thick and thin and even hinting at feelings towards each other. But, despite this, it's clear that they don't see eye to eye on many issues and are bickering as a result most of the time, makes you wonder how they managed to capture the now-confiscated kishin souls in the first place. Matsuki and Black Star are also, despite the sheer differences in their work philosophy, quite a formidable duo. Black Star being a very loud, arrogant individual whereas Matsuki is very quiet, distant from others. This duo is a contrast of each other but they work exceptionally well together. This however, doesn't sway me from landing a punch on Black Star square in the face and taking Matsuki out for a nice dinner. Death the Kid is introduced early into the series[1]and more often than not, serves as the comedy relief. Kid is a calculating, smart and an outgoing young lad who is a very formidable opponent in battle but has neurotic tendencies as witnessed via his love for symmetry(this leads to several situations. Both good and very very bad.). His weapons, the Thomson Sisters, are quite the opposite to his personalities and have a largely care-free attitude, very antithetical to Kids work philosophy. The anime, however, does not commit much time to any character. Mid-way, I got this realization that I knew little to nothing about either characters. There were a number of conversations taking place which had caught me off guard and left me in dark to suck on my thumb.

I tried to get him, honest! D:
I tried to get him, honest! D:

The problem is that none of the characters are relatable. At least, not at face value. Maka and Soul are passable characters. But it's Blackstar who's the real problem. I can only imagine the thought process: "Naruto isn't annoying enough! Give this guy a more cheesy line he'll utter every second and make him as arrogant as well as powerful as possible! This will surely win us some fans!". No. Just, no. It makes want to stuff my ears with fluff every time he gets screen time.

On the other hand though, the antagonists are done to perfection. With the combination of intelligence and intellectual prowess to project their menacing presence effectively. Soul Eater possesses a fantastic albeit small rouge gallery of villains, it makes a point of showing that our protagonists have a long way to go if they're going to have any chance of defeating the villains. The villains don't overstay their welcome, sometimes even providing comic relief to ease up the tension.

Well, it certainly isn't lacking in the crazy faces department.
Well, it certainly isn't lacking in the crazy faces department.

The animation style remains constant throughout the series, which is a favorable thing considering that the animation style itself is quite simplistic, as compared to Hellsing or Angel Beats!!. It's more along the lines of FLCL, Serial Experiments Lain and to an extent, Clannad/Clannad After Story. The design choice works well in its favor. I will admit, however, that at times it just seems a bit off. Particularly, at the first few episodes. But, that's most probably because of my own non-familiarity with the art style. And for the most part, it doesn't suffer from any shortage of funds. It doesn't follow the well-known route of having a series of terribly animated episodes, only to be followed by one amazingly animated episode, and for that I'm grateful.

Coupled with the soundtrack, it sets the mood right whenever a fight scene or a comedic moment kicks in. However, despite all this, the soundtrack doesn't really stand out. It's just there but I hardly noticed it. The tempo sometimes feels off, particularly in the fight scenes, but the comedic scenes are spot-on. Even with that in mind, I can't really say that Soul's OST is excellent. I can't even say it's good. It's average at best, to be perfectly honest with you.

Conclusion: I'll give it a APPROVED. I enjoyed it immensely. Even if the ending leaves something to be desired. Preferably, chocolate souffle.

Firstly, comment! And feel free to critique. :3
Secondly, if you have any suggestion on what game/anime/movie I should review next, you can post your suggestions and I'll try my ever best to entertain the requests.
Thirdly, if you would like to look up an old review, visit the Remains of the Day Group for the review index, likewise if you would like to remain up-to-date on the reviews posted, join it!

[1] Episode 4, I think.

I didn't like Soul Eater... I liked parts of it... almost entirely in the first season... but come the second... it just falls apart... and I couldn't get over how badly they handled the characters and how stupid the ending was... one of the most infuriating endings next to the End of Evangelion...<.<

Not to mention the sense of pointlessness I couldn't hall but feel at the end...

I Don't like Soul Eater. Only thing I liked was the Halloween Special Trailer. Now that was badass, the series isn't sadly.

I personally like Soul Eater I liked the fight scenes, the characters, and while Black Star may start out really annoying he turns into an absolute badass at the end.

See I like in my animes to have a very unique universe or in some cases, abilities to work with. It's why I found Bleach to be so damn interesting because all the diversity of the soul reaper powers could've had strong depth. It's also why I think Fairy Tail is so damn good because each person uniquely adapts to the world around them in their own unique way.

So yeah I dug the whole "We train people who turn into weapons to be the personal weapons to the grim reaper" back drop to be awesome because there's so much you could do with a story based on that.

Oh and Dr. Frankenstein is one of the greatest anime characters period.

Sacman:
I didn't like Soul Eater... I liked parts of it... almost entirely in the first season... but come the second... it just falls apart... and I couldn't get over how badly they handled the characters and how stupid the ending was... one of the most infuriating endings next to the End of Evangelion...<.<

Not to mention the sense of pointlessness I couldn't hall but feel at the end...

That's what happens when you have filler ending

When I first watched Soul Eater I was really into it. I absolutely loved the series but the ending kinda ruined it for me. Up until that point the series was awesome to me. I have heard rumors that they might reboot it and follow the manga more closely like what happened with FMA: Brotherhood.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked