Review my Review: Pogo - A Disney Remix

Nick Bertke. Heard of him? Me neither until recently. Better known as Pogo, Nick is an electronic musician from Perth, Australia. His specialty?

[iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JVxe5NIABsI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen][/iframe]

Disney Remixes.

I have to admit that I wasn't exactly thrilled by the idea, it was a friend that first introduced me to Pogo, telling me that his music would just leave my head full of bubbles. Honestly, that was a reasonably accurate way to put it. Listening to Pogo and being in a bad mood just doesn't work. You can't help but smile when you hear the beautiful tones layered over some of his music. A personal favourite is the above video, "Upular." Pogos remix of the film Up. Give it a listen.

In 2007 Pogo created a song called Alice, a remix of Alice in Wonderland. From there it all just sort of took off. When Pixar released Up they actually approached Pogo to create something from it. That's a pretty good sign you're doing something right. That and the 40 million views on Youtube. Listening to any of his songs it's hard not to settle into the rhythm of it all. Your head is bopping, you've got a smile on your face, things like this are why music exists. Perfect little moments pumped into your ears.

Not to say that Pogo has had an exceptionally trouble free career, building songs out of Disney owned material is never going to be easy. If you try to find Swashbuckle online, for example, good luck. The song is based on Pirates of the Caribbean and was never really approved by Disney. He still plays it live but you won't easily find it anywhere reputable for download.

When he released Bangarang, a song based on Steven Spielbergs "Hook," Sony themselves stepped in and complained. The video was originally taken down but after fans began posting saved versions of the video Sony buckled. A small victory there.

Over the years Pogo has released two full albums and five EPs. His discography almost entirely consists of Disney remixes but, no matter the source, there is no mistaking his signature sound. The same driving force lies in every song and I don't know how to describe it. Pogos music is a childhood memory, a favourite flavour, a beautiful day and a good nights sleep. An infectious smile creeping into your mind through your ears and I'll be damned if I'm going to stop it.

Check out Pogo online at http://www.pogomix.net where you can download his tracks and talk with other fans.

Or head over to his Youtube channel and check out his videos at http://youtube.com/user/faggotron

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, basically, I'm just a writer who's out of work at the minute, lacking a little confidence in himself and looking for some feedback.

To that end I'm just going to post a few of my old reviews here, games, music, whatever I can find that I feel is a good reflection of my work. If you feel like reading it and letting me know what you think that'd be great.

Not just looking for praise here, constructive criticism is welcome.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked