A Review on Bob Chipman

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hi, i'm Devon, and this is my Review on Bob "MovieBob" Chipman, Movie Critic, and General Social Commentator (Or whatever aptly describes his work in "The Big Picture") I am doing a project for my English class on writing reviews and thought i'd get some practice in by writing a review for good ol' Bob!

About a year an a half ago, Bob "MovieBob" Chipman began production of "The Big Picture" a show where he is given free reign to basically discuss whatever he wishes. In the first Episode, Bob a brief rundown of how Halo seemingly has the subtext of pro militarism and, to a lesser degree, Fascism. And while this point can be argued even still today, the opinion given in that episode and others like it are often focused on seeing in between the lines and giving a fresh point of view on the topic as a whole, with a dry, somewhat sterile sense of humor to boot. What's more, while somewhat resistant to it, The show does occasionally allow the fan base to influence what is discussed, giving weight to the idea that it's "A show of the people!" If you're feeling dramatic.
Now while this is all well and good, Bob himself does have his hiccups, when discussing heavy subjects in particular. His dislike of certain groups or individuals can occasionally tip over into ridicule, this is most evident in episodes of "Escape to the Movies", a movie review show of all things, in reviews such as The Expendables, where he takes a few seconds to slide a few cheap shots towards certain social groups, and this may be off putting to some. This also points to his issues with keeping his shows separate entities at times, which is much to his detriment. A perfect example of this is his internet review of "The Raid". Now, the review lasts about 4 minutes and forty seconds, but only 3 minutes and twenty seconds is actually used to review the movie. What did he put the rest to? He put it to complain about a completely unrelated movie and how it relates to his miserable high school life, something he is consistent in bringing up, which, yes, gets about as tiring as it sounds. Let me remind you, this was a review for a movie, and it starts off with "Oh i'm sorry, were you expecting a review for "American Reunion"?" Frankly bob, no I wasn't, I was expecting a review on "The Raid". Then he spends around a minute and a half explaining why he hates the whole franchise and somehow managed to work his miserable teenage years into it. This also shows a glaring inconsistency of opinion in Bob, where in his Fan mail episode of The Big Picture, he let his audience know that high school ultimately doesn't matter, so they just need to tough it out, But really, if that's the case, then why is he so quick to constantly bring up and whine about events that happened more than a decade ago? To me, this comes off as almost childish, like he is so determined to remember the past, just so he can whine about it, and it most certainly isn't appropriate to shoehorn this into a movie review. He seems to forget that he has an entire show for this kind of thing.

Pros:
Insightful
Dry, but clever sense of humor
Acknowledges the fan base (Doesn't see them necessarily as just a number)

Cons:
Hyperbolic tendencies
Inconsistency of opinion
Angst filled

At the end of the day, Bob Chipman is a smart fellow with many opinions worth sharing, but has several issues along the lines of professionalism and just leaving all his baggage away from the work place.

Did you miss the fact that he takes the 'gamers are entitled crybabies' stance on Retake Mass Effect? Or does that go under hyperbolic tendencies?

I think you should post this under the user reviews in Meta-metacritic.

But seriously though, this is just getting ridiculous. If you don't agree with the man, just leave him be. You don't need to start doing articles and reviews on him to let everyone know how much you don't like him.

Expressing your opinion is fine, but after the whole ME- rage at him I find it hard to believe that this thread won't turn into a hate- infested flamewar.

Well it seems like you are basing this entirely on his work for the escapist. Which isn't all of it he also does the Game Overthinker on Screwattack which I stopped going to last year due to their hypocracy and just general douchebagness. However there his work is absolutely attrocious. It's not just filled with bias it insults everyone today with how bad the industry is now and how much better Nintendo is than everything. There was someone there who did a blog every time a episode came out called "why the game overthinker sucks" and he would refute EVERY SINGLE POINT bob made and have evidence to point it out. Thankfully when bob is against something it shines like he painted a bulls-eye on him with stars so when he's bias it's very easy to point out. Honestly I think he is smart on occasion but lets his bias get in the way every time. I can't say anything about movies since I don't watch movies anymore myself but when it comes to games I have seen him be wrong more times than I bother counting.

It is an opinion and they do not matter unless you give them weight.

The angst is strong in that one. His voice amuses me however so I'll look pass it.

Really? Reviewing a reviewer? You're criticizing someone who's taking to the time to watch then review something for you (so you don't need to spend any time or money doing it yourself), because it's not presented in a manner that you like? Yeah... awesome stuff there.

Personally I love MovieBob, even if we don't see eye to eye on all things (I loved The Road!). In terms of all other internet reviewers, his opinions and the way he views movies most closely matches my own, so more often than not if he doesn't like something, I usually won't either. Though it doesn't stop me from watching it with an open mind. Like Yahtzee, I take what he says with a grain of salt and ultimately my own opinion on the medium is more important, but the guy has watched a LOT of movies, and knows what he's talking about. For that I give my respect.

People who get offended when he doesn't like something need to chill out and grow up. The same when he gets off topic, or adds some personal stories: sometimes a movie just doesn't have 4-5 minutes worth of stuff to talk about. I know this from my game reviewing ventures. Some games had massive amounts to talk about. Others.... couple of paragraphs can sum it up. I'd rather watch something entertaining then something that beats a dead horse for 5 minutes cause there's nothing else of worth to discuss on the subject.

Frankly he just seems like a jackass to me, I keep going back to his reviews and such, wanting to like it (I don't know why...) And every time he just irritates me. He has this overbearing arrogance and is just a douchebag all the damn time, he thinks he's better than everyone else out there and will point it out in his reviews. It's like "I didn't come hear to listen about the social issues you don't like, or the organizations you disagree with, just review the damn movie and tell us how it was. And while he generally gets movies and does a good review on them he is absolutely TERRIBLE with games and should leave that to better suited people.

I quite enjoy Bob's videos. I might not agree with everything he says, but I understand he is here to entertain, and that the language he uses reflects that.

On a more general point, when personally addressing someone, holding on to some semblance of respect would seem natural. No?

leet_x1337:
Did you miss the fact that he takes the 'gamers are entitled crybabies' stance on Retake Mass Effect? Or does that go under hyperbolic tendencies?

FYI, I'm pretty sure he has never said that. In fact, he has taken the exact oposite stance, to my dismay. I understand as consumers, it is our right to let it be known we are unhappy with a product, but I don't think it justifies the torrent of subnormality that I've had to put up with for over a month. Moviebob, however, defends people's rights to being a petulant little shits.

http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com.es/2012/03/episode-68-crass-effect.html

Bob is awesome...thats my revue

CAPTCHA: Lame Duck?

I don't know if this is supposed to be meta-clever or meta-cynical.

Come to think of it, I don't really care either way.

Also: if you're actually an English student and working on your use of language, I'd review proper paragraph use, comma use and dependent clauses.

And the use of cliches.

And... ugh forget it.

eh bob is a pretty cool guy, faps to mario and doesn't afraid of anything

Mabster:
I quite enjoy Bob's videos. I might not agree with everything he says, but I understand he is here to entertain, and that the language he uses reflects that.

On a more general point, when personally addressing someone, holding on to some semblance of respect would seem natural. No?

This really sums it up pretty nicely.

I don't agree with everything Bob says (which makes sense, seeing as how his shows are all about his opinion, not "This is the stuff I'm right about.") and the only thing he does that really bothers me is that sometimes he reminds us just a bit too often about stuff he doesn't like.

Outside of that though, I've learned a lot from his videos, I've re-examined things that I'd just glossed over, and I've been thoroughly entertained on most Tuesdays and Fridays thanks to his videos.

Sorry, but your review is a mess. You just have random criticisms with very little structure or flow.

I really don't like Big Picture, and Escape to the Movies is okay at best, but writing a "review" on a person (read: a personal attack) is pretty rude.

I find it hilarious how Jim Sterling seems to have bleed the fandom from MovieBob like some kind of Internet-Vampire. As for the man himself, he's no AVGN; but neither is anyone else.

Devoneaux:
-snip; very much needed-

Really well done and was entertaining enough to keep me hooked throughout.

While the opening for this part may sound hateful, it isn't.
That being said, if you have enough time and have put this much thought into this (which you clearly do) I'm surprised that you haven't ever seen The Game Overthinker. It's another insightful show (usually) that Bob does and even though there's a pretty dumb story in it right now, the discussion worthy sections are as good as ever. It's on ScrewAttac; and while you're there, check out their other stuff too.

http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker

leet_x1337:

He actually sympathized with consumers giving feedback on a product, but though that the shitstorm was taking things too far. He has a nuanced opinion, which is the opposite of hyperbole.

Your comment however, goes under hyperbolic tendencies (considering you just automatically generalized his entire opinion into either "for" or "against").

Grammatical issues aside, this review is very much an extension of the relative amount of upset he's gotten for his huge tirade during his Raid review. And rightly so, of course.

I will say, if you're going to review Bob, you need to put even more research into it. The issues you brought up are only half of the story. His high school hate engulfs most of his online work, and it's fairly obvious he can't get beyond those years going so far as to demonize the entire decade of the 90s (when he was a teenager) and deifying his beloved childhood nerd years of the 80s.

Look into his Big Picture episode Magneto Was Right and his reviews of Scream 4 and Chronicle. Your point about his hypocrisy of saying that "high school doesn't matter" when he himself can't move past his high school years twelve years after the fact is made even more solid when you hear what he has to say in those videos.

The Magneto Was Right video alone has enough to keep you busy.

Revolutionaryloser:

leet_x1337:

FYI, I'm pretty sure he has never said that. In fact, he has taken the exact oposite stance, to my dismay. I understand as consumers, it is our right to let it be known we are unhappy with a product, but I don't think it justifies the torrent of subnormality that I've had to put up with for over a month. Moviebob, however, defends people's rights to being a petulant little shits.

http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com.es/2012/03/episode-68-crass-effect.html

See, if this had been Moviebob's initial response to the Mass Effect backlash, I'd have been more understanding, but his twitter comments REALLY crossed the line. They were just a string of unbearably self righteous personal attacks on BioWare, and angry Mass Effect fans in general. That said, he did fall back on one of his other bad habit of attacking straw men. His video addressed what most of us can probably agree are the weakest complaints against the Mass Effect Ending: Of course the fans don't "own" Mass Effect, hell I don't remember anyone coherent making the argument that they do. Also the whole "BioWare lied" is referring to a press release where they boasted 26 distinct endings, which is TECHNICALLY a lie (that was the argument of that guy who filed the FCC injunction), but I think most people are able to dismiss that as overly optimistic PR speak.

I like MovieBob, but he's at his best when he's dealing with a subject that he's intimately familiar with and can speak with authority on: Cinematography, Comics, the History of Hollywood, those shows were some of his best work and some of the best work on this site (which is saying something.) The Mass Effect kerfuffle was a case of him crossing the line into frothing righteous indignation territory.
Yes it's an opinion show, but what separates good opinion shows from demagoguery is the degree to which you back up that opinion.

At this point, nearly everything about the Mass Effect debacle that can be said has been said, and for the life of me the best article I've read from the Retake side is this article here http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/ (especially the segment concerning abandonment of key themes.)

PS: Bob, Hal's Emerald Action Team sent death threats, Retake Mass Effect sent cupcakes.

mitchell271:

Devoneaux:
-snip; very much needed-

Really well done and was entertaining enough to keep me hooked throughout.

While the opening for this part may sound hateful, it isn't.
That being said, if you have enough time and have put this much thought into this (which you clearly do) I'm surprised that you haven't ever seen The Game Overthinker. It's another insightful show (usually) that Bob does and even though there's a pretty dumb story in it right now, the discussion worthy sections are as good as ever. It's on ScrewAttac; and while you're there, check out their other stuff too.

http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker

Thanks for the input :D, I actually do know he has that show on Screwattack, but I wasn't familiar enough to go into it in this review I don't think, and wasn't sure how much i'd need to go through to become acquainted with the content.

TheDrunkNinja:
Grammatical issues aside, this review is very much an extension of the relative amount of upset he's gotten for his huge tirade during his Raid review. And rightly so, of course.

I will say, if you're going to review Bob, you need to put even more research into it. The issues you brought up are only half of the story. His high school hate engulfs most of his online work, and it's fairly obvious he can't get beyond those years going so far as to demonize the entire decade of the 90s (when he was a teenager) and deifying his beloved childhood nerd years of the 80s.

Look into his Big Picture episode Magneto Was Right and his reviews of Scream 4 and Chronicle. Your point about his hypocrisy of saying that "high school doesn't matter" when he himself can't move past his high school years twelve years after the fact is made even more solid when you hear what he has to say in those videos.

The Magneto Was Right video alone has enough to keep you busy.

Thanks for the input! I did actually see those episodes, but I didn't think of them until you mentioned it, I will definitely work on giving more support to my arguments in the future.

dyre:
Sorry, but your review is a mess. You just have random criticisms with very little structure or flow.

I really don't like Big Picture, and Escape to the Movies is okay at best, but writing a "review" on a person (read: a personal attack) is pretty rude.

If you don't mind my asking, in what ways could I improve the flow?

Ihniwid:

Also: if you're actually an English student and working on your use of language, I'd review proper paragraph use, comma use and dependent clauses.

And the use of cliches.

And... ugh forget it.

Yeah, it doesn't let me indent for some reason.

As for my use of commas, did I use too many or too few? I would like it if you could take some time to expand on this, if you don't mind.

I'd do a review of you doing a review of someone who does reviews. But I've ran out of thought power after writing that out. x3

Just Plain Lazy:
I'd do a review of you doing a review of someone who does reviews. But I've ran out of thought power after writing that out. x3

Reviewception? O.O

Devoneaux:

Just Plain Lazy:

Reviewception? O.O

You get the meme's and I'll get the fog horn to make the "music" of the sound track in the background. o.o x3

We need to go deeper.

Devoneaux:

Ihniwid:

And the use of cliches.

And... ugh forget it.

As for my use of commas, did I use too many or too few? I would like it if you could take some time to expand on this, if you don't mind.

It wasn't so much indenting as it was having very large paragraphs. A "casual critic" persona generally keeps his paragraphs around four to five sentences. Read a few of Bob's articles or even Yhatzee's. Both of them conform to this persona and both of them have relatively small paragraphs.

And as for the comma use, two things:

1. Look up comma splicing.

2. Look up sentence fragments.

And just, like, some advice - if you're going to give a writer flack, even if it's in the whitest of jest, you best be up to their level of writing. Otherwise, good sir, the joke is on you.

:)

Devoneaux:
-OP-

Decent review, making sure to hit both the good and bad points. It could use a bit better formatting, but all in all a good review.

OniaPL:

But seriously though, this is just getting ridiculous. If you don't agree with the man, just leave him be. You don't need to start doing articles and reviews on him to let everyone know how much you don't like him.

Expressing your opinion is fine, but after the whole ME- rage at him I find it hard to believe that this thread won't turn into a hate- infested flamewar.

Erm, did you read the review? It was extremely civil. Regardless of whether you like him or not, he has his flaws and Mr. OP points them out. Also regardless of whether you like him or not, he has his strong points and Mr. OP points them out.

Ihniwid:

Devoneaux:

Ihniwid:

And the use of cliches.

And... ugh forget it.

It wasn't so much indenting as it was having very large paragraphs. A "casual critic" persona generally keeps his paragraphs around four to five sentences. Read a few of Bob's articles or even Yhatzee's. Both of them conform to this persona and both of them have relatively small paragraphs.

And as for the comma use, two things:

1. Look up comma splicing.

2. Look up sentence fragments.

And just, like, some advice - if you're going to give a writer flack, even if it's in the whitest of jest, you best be up to their level of writing. Otherwise, good sir, the joke is on you.

:)

It was less a review on his ability to write and more a critique of himself, and the way he shows himself on the net. In either case, thanks a ton for your help, i'll look up those two terms immediately!

Zen Toombs:

Devoneaux:
-OP-

Decent review, making sure to hit both the good and bad points. It could use a bit better formatting, but all in all a good review.

OniaPL:

Erm, did you read the review? It was extremely civil. Regardless of whether you like him or not, he has his flaws and Mr. OP points them out. Also regardless of whether you like him or not, he has his strong points and Mr. OP points them out.

Thank you for your input, always happy to receive more!

axlryder:
We need to go deeper.

A moment of silence for our late flash animator...

*Salute*

Devoneaux:

Zen Toombs:

Devoneaux:
-OP-

Thank you for your input, always happy to receive more!

Just so you know, it is often good to cut out the irrelevant sections of a post you're quoting. Helps to make what you're referencing more clear.

If you didn't know, that's what people mean by *snip* - "I cut some stuff out here". It's basically an ellipsis with more typing involved. ...which brings to question why we do it like that...

Devoneaux:

axlryder:
We need to go deeper.

A moment of silence for our late flash animator...

*Salute*

He was pretty swell.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked