2.3% (2)
2.3% (2)
Haven't seen it
29.1% (25)
29.1% (25)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: The Avengers - Thoughts and Sort-of-Review

Note: This might contain some minor spoilers

So, I just came home from watching The Avengers. I'm not a reviewer or critic and shit. It opened early in my country, for some reason.

Anywho, here is what I thought.

The overall story is pretty decent. I was never the intense comic book fan, though I have read my fair share of Iron Man and Spider-Man in my youth, but as far as I am concerned, they did a good job with this. The film is better than the first Iron Man, and far greater than Thor and Captain America.

The character development was more of a clash between the main protagonists, mainly between Iron Man and Captain America. This was sadly tied up with nothing but a small one-liner, and some on-screen "emotional and meaningful" shots, of them finally working together.

The Hulk (which is one of my favourite superheroes) was sadly reduced to a comic relief, with (literal) punch-lines and jokes. It's as if the writers only wanted him to appear like a stupid bag of punches. Or as the guys in front of me said: Haha! He mad, and he punches shit.
Banners ability to control his other self is also never explained. (SPOILER, though it is shown in the trailer) Halfway through the film, he loses control, and trashes a lot of shit, while chasing down Black Widow, before being falling off the flying base of SHIELD. (/SPOILER) He then reappears out of nowhere for the final showdown, in a "Hai guise, remember me?" kind of way. And out of nowhere, he has full control of his powers.

Hawkeye and Black widow sadly did not get enough screen time. It also seemed as if there was a relationship plot point between the two, that was dropped halfway through with no other explanation, other than "Yeah, we're pretty close, yo", but this could be a plot point in the sequel (which will obviously be made) or a prequel (here's hoping).

Loki as the main villain is a total let down. I've thought this since the reveal at the end of Thor (I think it was the end of Thor?). He just seems like a rather small villain, that should have been wrapped up in Thor. (SPOILER) He is also captured almost at the beginning of the film, and gets away in an unexplained manner. (/SPOILER)
(ANOTHER SPOILER)Also, a team up with the Chitauri seems like a long-shot. As I said, I'm not an extreme comic book fan, so I wouldn't know if they've teamed up before, but come on. A Norse god and "metallic space aliens"? Seriously? (/SPOILER)

Anyway, it might seem like I didn't like the film. I loved it, and I will definitely go see it again in a few days. It's just that while I loved it, I can't think of any specific things that I liked. You tend to only remember an overall feeling, and things you didn't like.

To sum it up: The Avengers is awesome (as if you needed to be told that), even though there are some flaws in it.

Also, STAY THROUGH THE CREDITS (as always, yeah?)

Side note: Go see it in 2D if you can. The 3D in this one is fucking shit. I always bring both 3D and 2D glasses, and I had to put on my 2D glasses halfway through the film.

Bit of advice to start out:

Also, I'm assuming that Norton's presence is sorely missed. He was an excellent Banner.

While you are definitely entitled to your own opinions, I'd like to inform you that you are in the minority with regards to the Hulk. The overwhelming opinion is that this is the best depiction of Hulk thus far. Why? Well, spoiler alert then:

As for your complaint about the wonder-spy-twins, I believe that what little time was given to them counted for so much more. Black Widow in particular gets heavily characterized, and isn't just window dressing this time around. We understand her motivations, get to see how she uses her apparent weaknesses as a woman to turn the tables on her would-be oppressors, and overall kick ass when she needs to.

As for Loki, we gotta go spoilers with this again:

I really liked it, but I hadn't a lot of the previous marvel films before this so I was kind of thrown into the deep end going into this one. (Thor, Capt. America, Hulk 2, Iron Man 2 to count them)

The story was decent and easy to catch on to, the action was good if a little confusing with the 3d at times, the acting I thought was top notch. Personally I liked it. But with not seeing the other movies I don't have mouch to compare it to.

Also....

subtlefuge:

Also, I'm assuming that Norton's presence is sorely missed. He was an excellent Banner.

I've heard that this new guy was loads better.

Evil Smurf:

That would be because Xmen, like Spidey, Fantastic Four, Ghostrider and everyone else, are currently licensed to other studios, so crossing them over is not possible. I figured pretty much everyone knew this already.

OT; The film was awesome, all the characters got plenty of time and characterisation, Hulk got the best scenes (I'd say he even surpassed Stark for show stealing moments) and I'm surprised how even Banner was made useful, instead of just being the brooding catalyst for the Hulk like he usually is used.

And not to mention, pretty much everyone got a chance to show Loki up, which is pretty fantastic. Loki WAS probably the weakest part though, even if he did have a nice manipulative bastard plan to screw everyone over at one point, though you'd expect that for a trickster god anyway. His slight villain decay is justified though, what with falling through the void and implied going slightly crazy from it before ending up as the dragon to mr end credits. On speaking of him...

I adored the film and will deffinatly try to catch it a few more times before it heads out of the cinema, and its on the must buy on DVD list.

But there was one thing that confused me, although I havent read a vast amount of comics so it might make sense to those who have

also a few other minor things I would have liked to have seen

A few more little nitpicks I'm sure I could think of but not worth fussing over

Still that aside I absolutly loved it, it was an amazing outcome of Marvels long, risky gamble

MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW!

I agree with you in that it was awesome although it's funny that some of the things you disliked are things I liked, the Hulk was awesome, he stole the show IMO, I kinda missed Ed Norton who did a great job in Incredible Hulk, but Mark Ruffalo does a fantastic job here, both as Banner and the Hulk, I loved the scenes of him and Tony Stark working together. I liked the way the Hulk moved too, it seemed a little more ape like and primal. I agree that he seemed to disappear then suddenly turn up again in control, but at the end of Incredible Hulk film he seems to have some control, (he's meditating, opens his eyes which are green, indicating a change, but is smiling). Seemed like they missed out something similar with Thor too, after that fight which causes him to land on Earth he struggles to pick his Hammer up (just like in the Thor film, as if he's not worthy) a few scenes later he pulls it out no problem, just in time for the final fight.

I loved Loki in this film, he was great, I think its due to the fact you can tell that Tom Hidleston was having a great time filming, he just took all the silliness of it all and ran with it. I will sort of agree he's a let down on the way he's defeated though, while it was very funny it was a bit disappointing to see the villain defeated in a comedy moment ("Hulk smash puny god" awesome line).

Rest of the cast also did a great job and worked well together, and the scene where they are all arguing about using the cube thing for weapons was great.

The humor was spot on too, my favorite probably the conversation with Thor and Black Widow, can't remember it exactly but was something like:

Thor: "Careful of what you say, Loki is my brother."
BW: "He killed 80 people in two days."
Thor: "He's adopted."

Overall I loved this movie and can't wait to see it again, and considering how much hype I built up for it myself it could of easily disappointed, can't wait to see whats next.

Phew bit of a wall of text there but I loved the film, glad you did too even if we disagree on certain things, thats what makes talking about it fun.

Fenra:

There was a comment about Odin gathering dark energy and I think the implication that the tesseract activating helped in sending him there. But yeah it wasn't really explained.

I loved it. Absolutely loved it. I plan to see it many times more.

I thought it was a great film. The dark knight rises has alot to beat.

I loved this film. Even saw it in 3D and that still didn't put me off.

I loved it. It's now up there with X-Men First Class and Nolan's Batman films, in my books.

There were a few flaws, but that's the case with everything.

Bitter Hobbit:
Seemed like they missed out something similar with Thor too, after that fight which causes him to land on Earth he struggles to pick his Hammer up (just like in the Thor film, as if he's not worthy) a few scenes later he pulls it out no problem, just in time for the final fight.

Firstly that. I noticed this too....didn't really know what to make of it.

Also Banner's reappearance was a bit...eh.

I liked Loki as the villain. Sure, at times, he got his arse handed to them, but then he is fighting "Earth's Mightiest Heroes"!And Hiddleston was fantastic.

Generally I do like my super-hero films a little darker, but the Marvel films rarely are. Plus, it was a 12, so they couldn't really have civilians being slaughtered in the streets. All of the humour, I thought, worked well too, which is quite rare. Often in these kind of action films *cough* TRANSFORMERS *cough* they tend to add comic relief in that just doesn't fit and/or isn't funny...but this all (or at least the majority) worked.

It was just brilliant to see all of these heroes together, like some amazing crossover. It does make you wonder what other story-arcs could be converted into films....like House of M, for example. Or Civil War. Although the latter would benefit more from a series, I think. Anyway I digress.

Brilliant acting, brilliant directing, brilliant film.

I've gotta say, I completely disagree with you about Hulk and the 3D. Though the Black Widow/Hawkeye relationship I agree with, they should have been explained better, especially Hawkeye. More about my own opinions here. I wanted to address the reason the Hulk can later control himself.

Anyway, pretty good review, but please learn to use spoiler brackets!

No idea what happened during the posting, deletable.
This is the first time this has happened to me, honey, I swear.

It kept me entertained, had four-five amusing jokes, half of them bad ones which sound good but are incredibly awful things to say when you rethink it three minutes later, action was okay, ending was meh to bad, did not really feel any climax.
Do you know how I knew the movie was being climactic? Them epics songs started and the characters tried to look scruffy and emotional to the camera.
Character interaction was good, new Dr Banner was nice and Downey I liked, Thor and Cap'n were okay, had their moments. Black Fury - Mace Window - I did not like; hated that random commentator playing chess or checkers in the end; Loki was good in Thor, now a whiny pointless bit player.
Liked the fish, had lots of fun joking about them since the end got boring... Can someone point me to some HD pictures of those fish? I don't follow MU so I have no idea what they are about and have just two things to compare them to.

subtlefuge:

No. In a different way, yes. I prefer this one... to Norton, at least.

somonels:
Kept me entertained, had four-five amusing jokes, half of them bad ones which sound good but are incredibly awful things to say when you rethink it three minutes later, action was okay, ending was meh to bad, did not really feel any climax.
Do you know how I knew the movie was being climactic? Them epics songs started and the characters tried to look scruffy and emotional to the camera.
Character interaction was good, new Dr Banner was nice and Downey I liked, Thor and Cap'n were okay, had their moments. Black Fury - Mace Window - I did not like; hated that random commentator playing chess or checkers in the end; Loki was good in Thor, now a whiny pointless bit player.
Liked the fish, had lots of fun joking about them since the end got boring... Can someone point me to some HD pictures of those fish? I don't follow MU so I have no idea what they are about and have just two things to compare them to.

subtlefuge:

No. In a different way, yes. I prefer this one... to Norton, at least.

It's strange that so many people agree with you. I guess that I just compare Norton to the guy in the bad Hulk movie. He does have a sort of monopoly on the mild-mannered characters, even if they are occasionally too awkward.

Also, the pictures I saw of Ruffalo when he was first being cast for the movie made him look a little old and fat for the role, but he has obviously cleaned himself up.

subtlefuge:

It's strange that so many people agree with you. I guess that I just compare Norton to the guy in the bad Hulk movie. He does have a sort of monopoly on the mild-mannered characters, even if they are occasionally too awkward.

Also, the pictures I saw of Ruffalo when he was first being cast for the movie made him look a little old and fat for the role, but he has obviously cleaned himself up.

No, this Ruffalo is an unknown actor, to me at least.
The problem with Norton is that he neither acts or looks, both incredibly important aspects to convey a character, like he could be Dr. Banner. He never created a believable moment of restraining something like the hulk or, no offence, being a scientist.
While this Ruffalo isn't perfect, he is absolutely believable, the slightly socially awkward and avoidant mannerisms, that pleasant monotone voice that sounds like it's trained, he looks believable as a scientist and is well spoken.
And put him in a scene with RDJr... nerdmance. Hands down the two most believable performances in the movie, I know there were some problems with the script but whenever they were in, I didn't pay much attention.

Okay, seems I wasn't absolutely correct about Ruffalo, see this:

I loved it. Stark's sarcastic remarks and nicknames were funny, such as calling Loki "Reindeer games". Then Banner/Hulk stole the show. The fact that Banner and Hulk worked as two seperate characters, rather than as an emotional rollercoaster was a revelation. Personally, watching Hulk tear into the bad guys was satisfying as hell.

Action was brilliant, acting was brilliant, dialogue and casting were brilliant. Ignoring a couple of minor gripes, it was literally better than I could've hoped.

Major Chip:
I loved it. Stark's sarcastic remarks and nicknames were funny, such as calling Loki "Reindeer games". Then Banner/Hulk stole the show. The fact that Banner and Hulk worked as two seperate characters, rather than as an emotional rollercoaster was a revelation. Personally, watching Hulk tear into the bad guys was satisfying as hell.

Action was brilliant, acting was brilliant, dialogue and casting were brilliant. Ignoring a couple of minor gripes, it was literally better than I could've hoped.

exactly this, some of the people's expectations for this movie still boggles my mind..this movie easily trumped any superhero movie made, hell any action movie I can think of off the top of my head in the past 5 years, probably more.

The biggest disappointment I had was that I could see the three act structure just happening.
It was all so very predictable...
Why the hell would I care about what comes after the movie is already over, if they wanted me to see what comes after the credits, put it before the credits roll.
Movies don't work like that people, might as well intersperse the credits through out the whole damn movie, people are stupid enough to watch anything these days and love the shit out of it.
Also 3D sucks why is this even a thing ?; oh right it makes them lots of money....

magicmonkeybars:
The biggest disappointment I had was that I could see the three act structure just happening.
It was all so very predictable...
Why the hell would I care about what comes after the movie is already over, if they wanted me to see what comes after the credits, put it before the credits roll.
Movies don't work like that people, might as well intersperse the credits through out the whole damn movie, people are stupid enough to watch anything these days and love the shit out of it.
Also 3D sucks why is this even a thing ?; oh right it makes them lots of money....

What the..?

Did you get beat up by a post-credits scene as a child? I don't mind them in the least, in fact, I loved this one, it's almost a geeky gift to the comic book readers in the audience, but your outright hostility seems... weird. :p

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked