Minecraft's Symbolism Analyzed! Analysis of the Ending

Pages 1 2 NEXT

O hai guys. People seemed to like my Zelda analysis so I'm continuing the series and heading into new topics. This week: Minecraft and it's relationship to the player.

Minecraft gives us an interactive playground to explore our own minds. Let's see what we find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTnJYIKvssw&feature=plcp

Never stop exploring. :)

Any feedback and support is appreciated, thank ye kindly.

EDIT:

Considering how much this exploded, I guess I'll put this here:

http://www.facebook.com/EmceeProphIt

I put hints for the next topic and bonus info about the series there.

One last edit: thanks to all of ya'll for giving the vid a shot, giving me feedback and supporting the show. I just hit 100 subs, and more importantly, I got great advice. Thanks everyone.

Why in gods name does that vid not have more views?

The symbolism itself is pretty cool and you make a good argument to support, but what impressed me was the work that clearly went into this. This wasn't just someone going 'derp minecraft is fun' for 5 minutes over gameplay.

I like.

Coolshark:
Why in gods name does that vid not have more views?

The symbolism itself is pretty cool and you make a good argument to support, but what impressed me was the work that clearly went into this. This wasn't just someone going 'derp minecraft is fun' for 5 minutes over gameplay.

I like.

Oh...well thank you! I'm glad you liked, dude. :)

And yeah, this review took quite a while to pull off.

Overusedname:

Oh...well thank you! I'm glad you liked, dude. :)

And yeah, this review took quite a while to pull off.

I can kinda tell lol.

Subscription gained. Want moar.

I agree with the above post; a well made video which included humour and some interesting information and outlooks. Keep making them, you have a knack for it.

I didn't watch it. Know why? It's over twenty minutes long. I wouldn't recommend that. Cut it shorter, cut it into parts, whatever. But I (and most people I know) don't watch YouTube Videos that are that long.

Jiggy:
I didn't watch it. Know why? It's over twenty minutes long. I wouldn't recommend that. Cut it shorter, cut it into parts, whatever. But I (and most people I know) don't watch YouTube Videos that are that long.

I was consider releasing shorter bits 1 at a time. It would slow down the process overall, which is why I'm not quite sure. I've asked fans and friends if I should cut them up, and I always get very mixed reactions. I should start a poll.

King of Asgaard:
I agree with the above post; a well made video which included humour and some interesting information and outlooks. Keep making them, you have a knack for it.

Thanks a lot man. Very encouraging :) I appreciate it.

Overusedname:

Jiggy:

I was consider releasing shorter bits 1 at a time. It would slow down the process overall, which is why I'm not quite sure. I've asked fans and friends if I should cut them up, and I always get very mixed reactions. I should start a poll.

King of Asgaard:

Thanks a lot man. Very encouraging :) I appreciate it.

You're welcome! It's always nice being pleasantly surprised by new talent.
About cutting it up, I wouldn't because I feel that it would lose some substance.
When you're trying to make a point, especially in your case, you don't want to be interrupted half-way by an arbitrary time constraint. Cutting up mostly works for Let's Plays or episodic videos, but in this case you need all the time to explain your points succinctly and concisely.
Maybe a bit of trimming could work (some of the Mark Twain discussion was rather tangential I felt), but overall, I thought the length was exactly what one would expect it to be. One does not click on a video which discusses the symbolism and metaphor of Minecraft and expect it to be five minutes long. I, for one, would have felt cheated had it been so.
Besides, twenty minutes is not unreasonable, by any means.
So, once again, well done on a well made video and I look forward to more content in the future.

That was... actually very very good, I was all prepared to make snarky comments (especially considering I hated the Minecraft ending the first time I saw it) but the video was actually both funny and interesting. So very good video and I hope to see more, who knows? maybe we are looking at the next great Escapist contributor?

King of Asgaard:
-Snippity snap-

Thanks again. And yeah, maybe you're right. It would've been odd to chop up this episode into multiple parts. I'll also try to make my tangents as concise as possible. I had to mention Mark Twain to some extent, but there were some things I prattled on about.

Thanks for the critique.

major_chaos:
That was... actually very very good, I was all prepared to make snarky comments (especially considering I hated the Minecraft ending the first time I saw it) but the video was actually both funny and interesting. So very good video and I hope to see more, who knows? maybe we are looking at the next great Escapist contributor?

You kinda made me squeal with joy with that last comment. That's a very delightful prospect. Glad you enjoyed.

It was amazing :3

Also starting to watching your LoZ: OoT videos.
You're a great video commenter and could be a big one :)

Best of luck!

Overusedname:

I saw your opening post and thought, "Urgh, fuck, another one of these poorley concealed attempts to push a shitty video onto the community" but then I thought, "Meh, Im game... lets see how you do..."

Verdict - very impressed. You make jokes but they aren't forced as they have that element of self awareness. Your points are very clear and discussed with intelligence... subscribed!

Fasckira:

Overusedname:

I saw your opening post and thought, "Urgh, fuck, another one of these poorley concealed attempts to push a shitty video onto the community" but then I thought, "Meh, Im game... lets see how you do..."

Verdict - very impressed. You make jokes but they aren't forced as they have that element of self awareness. Your points are very clear and discussed with intelligence... subscribed!

I'm glad to have surprised you. :) Thanks.

And ya, if you're gonna make fun of anyone, start with yourself. That's my general policy.

Just to throw in my two cents in terms of the whole 'Are these videos too long' thing, I would say that it depends on your target audience. I mean, I don't know how short people EXPECT such a concept to be, but I think it'll always take a while to explain complex stuffs like this, right?

I don't think you really wasted much time. This video could've been a LITTLE shorter, but like...if you cut more than three minutes it would remove necessary stuff. Or funny stuff.

You get better with pacing after a while. Keep it up. I like it so far.

Really awesome. As I haven't "beaten" minecraft I haven't seen the end yet, and that was a very good video you made. I find I don't mind if the video is long if it needs it, a shorter video simply would have devalued your speech. Thank you for this!

Well done, sir. Best of luck on your next projects.

Is that...is that your normal voice? My god, man. My ears are having orgasms over here. I mean, you're not saying much, but seeing as this is Minecraft, you don't need to, and the voice alone has me continuing to listen. Though, I had no idea there was that thing in the ending. Ha,I never got there. Had too much fun exploring caverns.

Wow, this post kinda exploded overnight. Thanks for all the feedback peeps. All ya'll.

I also think I'm gonna keep the vids at the normal length for now, based off these comments.

BehattedWanderer:
Is that...is that your normal voice? My god, man. My ears are having orgasms over here.

....Thank you. I guess that is indeed a good thing. :3 Yes, the intro sequence and most of the vid is just me talkin' normally.

VincentX3:

Best of luck!

Thanks a lot, glad you like it. :D

Overusedname:
Wow, this post kinda exploded overnight. Thanks for all the feedback peeps. All ya'll.

I also think I'm gonna keep the vids at the normal length for now, based off these comments.

BehattedWanderer:
Is that...is that your normal voice? My god, man. My ears are having orgasms over here.

....Thank you. I guess that is indeed a good thing. :3 Yes, the intro sequence and most of the vid is just me talkin' normally.

VincentX3:

Best of luck!

Thanks a lot, glad you like it. :D

I have to agree with Vincent here. I've been watching your OoT analysis, and I'm quite impressed with it. There's the analysis, some of which we've seen before, alongside some fresh ideas, and it's intercut with enough that's interesting to see where you go with it. Just be careful you don't play out the diversions too long, and there could be quite a lot of future for you.

BehattedWanderer:

I have to agree with Vincent here. I've been watching your OoT analysis, and I'm quite impressed with it. There's the analysis, some of which we've seen before, alongside some fresh ideas, and it's intercut with enough that's interesting to see where you go with it. Just be careful you don't play out the diversions too long, and there could be quite a lot of future for you.

Thanks again, man. I certainly feel motivated. :D

Thank you very much for posting this~! This is exactly why I think the hypothetical debate about whether 'games are art' is redundant. The majority of books/films/performances/etc don't convey their meaning in a necessarily obvious way. You can look at them and barely scratch the surface of what they offer. I'd argue that in most cases, things that are better at engaging with people (Fun games like Minecraft, Okami, Mirror's Edge) generate more meaning than things that try to be artsy for the sake of being artsy (I'm looking at you Braid). The real gems only become apparent when you take the time to really delve into something. If we want to find value and meaning in our videogames we simply have to look for it (Ideally through a critical lens).

Now for some -hopefully- helpful criticism. It might just be me, but I feel you could cut out a lot of the overly arrogant/pretentious bits. I know you're doing it on purpose for laughs, but it cheapens the quality of your video. You're making legitimate arguments and the smaller jokes you sneak in throughout the video are funny, but the wine-swirling and 'I'm a god' stuff is already overdone in most every other internet-personality video. You just don't need it. I'd also suggest hurrying up or cutting out tangents like the Mark Twain bit. Long videos aren't necessarily bad, but it's easier to engage with a concise argument that stays on point.

Overall I really like what you're doing, with some refinements you could be great~!

Captcha: face to face

This is great, funny and interesting. Kudos to you sir. Have a sub

I don't think you need to cut down on the length of your videos. While it's true that shorter videos tend to get more attention because people have short attention spans, it doesn't mean you can't be successful with them. Take a look at TotalBiscuit's or Movie Bob's "Game Overthinker" videos. They go on for a long time too and are pretty popular, especially TB.

I think the stuff you talk about needs to have time to be talked about in depth. Maybe you could set a limit to something like 10 minutes if you feel you need to, but I would generally ignore people who instantly disregard your work without even seeing it because it takes too much of their oh so precious time away. They don't know what they're missing.

Doublepost, please ignore.

Overusedname:
O hai guys.

'Sup. So your voice is fantastic.

I'm at work at the moment, so I'll finish watching that minecraft video later. Also will probably check out your other ones as well.

EDIT: The Farmville joke and the Jimquisitionesque egotism seemed a bit overdrawn though.

Danzavare:
Thank you very much for posting this~! This is exactly why I think the hypothetical debate about whether 'games are art' is redundant. The majority of books/films/performances/etc don't convey their meaning in a necessarily obvious way. You can look at them and barely scratch the surface of what they offer. I'd argue that in most cases, things that are better at engaging with people (Fun games like Minecraft, Okami, Mirror's Edge) generate more meaning than things that try to be artsy for the sake of being artsy (I'm looking at you Braid). The real gems only become apparent when you take the time to really delve into something. If we want to find value and meaning in our videogames we simply have to look for it (Ideally through a critical lens).

Now for some -hopefully- helpful criticism. It might just be me, but I feel you could cut out a lot of the overly arrogant/pretentious bits. I know you're doing it on purpose for laughs, but it cheapens the quality of your video. You're making legitimate arguments and the smaller jokes you sneak in throughout the video are funny, but the wine-swirling and 'I'm a god' stuff is already overdone in most every other internet-personality video. You just don't need it. I'd also suggest hurrying up or cutting out tangents like the Mark Twain bit. Long videos aren't necessarily bad, but it's easier to engage with a concise argument that stays on point.

Overall I really like what you're doing, with some refinements you could be great~!

Captcha: face to face

I agree completely about the art stuff: I've felt it's such a hollow, redundant argument. Hell, as soon as a game made me profoundly happy or sad I knew there was something else going on.

Thanks for the criticism. It's always taken into account, and I always try to get a bit better with pacing and humor in each episode. And I will try to speed up my tangents to make them more efficient: I kinda couldn't fight the urge to geek out about one of my fav authors, ya know how it is XD But yes, I shall work on that.

I'm glad you enjoyed. Thanks for the feedback.

My captcha isn't relevant. Sad face.

Im quite disturbed, why slenderman is in the related videos...

Scrustle:
I don't think you need to cut down on the length of your videos. While it's true that shorter videos tend to get more attention because people have short attention spans, it doesn't mean you can't be successful with them. Take a look at TotalBiscuit's or Movie Bob's "Game Overthinker" videos. They go on for a long time too and are pretty popular, especially TB.

I think the stuff you talk about needs to have time to be talked about in depth. Maybe you could set a limit to something like 10 minutes if you feel you need to, but I would generally ignore people who instantly disregard your work without even seeing it because it takes too much of their oh so precious time away. They don't know what they're missing.

Thank ye! Glad ya liked it. And yeah, I could trim some of the fat, but almost everyone has told me not to shorten it for the sake of shortening it.

Zen Toombs:

Overusedname:
O hai guys.

'Sup. So your voice is fantastic.

I'm at work at the moment, so I'll finish watching that minecraft video later. Also will probably check out your other ones as well.

EDIT: The Farmville joke and the Jimquisitionesque egotism seemed a bit overdrawn though.

Much appreciated.

I'm always learning how pace those things. Some like the false-egotism, some don't. Thanks for the feed back.

fish iron4:

That disturbs the hell out of me too, honestly. I have no idea why that's there. I watched it like...ONCE and now it's related. It's kind of bizarre.

Overusedname:

Thank ye! Glad ya liked it. And yeah, I could trim some of the fat, but almost everyone has told me not to shorten it for the sake of shortening it.

Maybe they're just not your audience then.

Much appreciated.

I'm always learning how pace those things. Some like the false-egotism, some don't. Thanks for the feed back.

I have to agree with the egotism stuff. It's funny most of the time but sometimes it's piled on a bit too thick. Maybe that's just because your show is new so it's like you don't have much to be comically overly egotistic about yet.

fish iron4:

That disturbs the hell out of me too, honestly. I have no idea why that's there. I watched it like...ONCE and now it's related. It's kind of bizarre.

You guys don't know the connection between the Slenderman and Minecraft?

Scrustle:

Is it cuz of the Endermen? Or Herobrine?

Scrustle:

Maybe they're just not your audience then.

I think I mistyped somethin'. I meant NO ONE wants me to shorten them just for that reason. Very few people do, anyway. I've had 2 people total suggest I do so.

Hey again, I just watched the Zelda series you made, and I gotta say, I'm surprised you just started. You're doing really well for a newbie. Hell, yer doing well period.

I'd love to see your thoughts on Majora's mask.

Overusedname:

Scrustle:

Is it cuz of the Endermen?

Bingo.

Scrustle:

Bingo.

Makes the most sense. It was also uploaded to a gaming channel so...

Coolshark:
Hey again, I just watched the Zelda series you made, and I gotta say, I'm surprised you just started. You're doing really well for a newbie. Hell, yer doing well period.

I'd love to see your thoughts on Majora's mask.

Thanks! And Majora WILL be covered...at some point!

Overusedname:

Thanks! And Majora WILL be covered...at some point!

You have no idea how happy that makes me, bro.

Is that gonna be another series, out of curiosity? Or will that just be one episode?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked