Going to get guildwars?
Yes - This option will destroy your social life
74.3% (55)
74.3% (55)
No - This option secures your life and ensures that you'll raise a fine family.
25.7% (19)
25.7% (19)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Guildwars 2

Id think I have to state that I already posted this in "Game Discussion", But I didn't discover the User Review Section until seconds ago, So this is a re-post yes, But I added a poll!

Well, I've been playing the Guild Wars 2 Beta, and it's safe to say I'm done(Beta's Over) I didn't get bored or nothing but I have been playing for over 24 hours in 12 hour cycles, I feel that's more then enough to decide "Time to take a break". So after 24 hours, I now have an opinion(s) for every few hour's I played.

Hour 1-2:
The game started off explosively, With your character leaving his home city to immediately get involved in a war, So with absolutely no combat experience, That or, no explanation of how my character learnt to Rain arrows from above and rain destruction on her enemy's (Who looked like he did in fact had combat experience), Jump over his back rather acrobatically and the proceed to stab him to death. Moving forward My character, once again no combat experienced, Was expected to fight a Giant Elemental by stabbing away at his giant hands about 5x bigger than me with a rusty dagger.

After a trying out different weapons and combination it game to my surprise that each combination of weapons had it's set of ability's.

At this point, I really enjoying the game despite the lack of logic, and the several plot holes, and was very anxious to play further.

Hour 2-3:
It is at this point we're was introduced to the dynamic event's/quests system in which you don't ask pathetic peasants and lazy officers if they have a problem that you can deal with, No! Almost everywhere is always in complete chaos where you battle foes, gather grapes, feed cows, put out fires, with 30 other players at the same time.

So once I finished a battle with, Bandits, Tunnelling Worms, and of course feeding cows, I had leveled up and the "My Story" Quest kicked in, that you choose boundary's of in the character creation screen. Where you travel to your "Home" and visit a friend, Who is in trouble, and always leads to destroying a gang off the face of the planet, The characters are just about as interesting as you'd expect from an MMO but surprise surprise! They have voices so it makes up for disinteresting characters, But not for those bloody cut scenes where a drawn image appears and there are two character's one side of the screen talking.

Hour 3-12:
So several plot holes later I decided it was high time to start travelling and looking for more chaos to help fix, Through this process I had distress trying to find ways to level up because the dynamic events die down a lot around level 10-20+, (I say level 10-20+ cause I decided to make a new character) and ended up waiting at a town or outpost my level and waited for a war to break out, When I reached level 12, I thought to my self, Hey! Why the fuck aren't I crafting my own shit, So I spent a few hours in a translucent state running around the main city looking for crafting trainers, and to my surprise they were there.

The Crafting System is pretty simplistic, you build the parts to a item you want and then create a inscription which decides the stats and level of said item, and you discover new recipes by experimenting in a screen which your given 4 slots to put whatever you like in there. However finding all the materials aside from the ones, you mine or chop, are found on enemy's which drop them rarely, and it took me hours to come across the right materials for the exact items I wanted. At this point I decided it was time to sleep.

Intermission:
I would like to state that I was playing a ranger, A class I found to be alright to play, But I wasn't really being Wowed by the game and decided it was time to make a new character.

Hour 12-24:
When I woke up the next morning I immediately jumped on and made a thief, and went through the entire process again, with a better "My Story" and a better attitude about it because Stealth has always been me, even though the thief as a class doesn't actually do anything stealthy he just does a bunch of dodgy moves where you can steal an enemy's ability and use it against this, I found this really fun to use on the guy's who use bombs.

This time around I was having much more fun, being a class that was more in the front and close to the combat. Oh and I played about 10 minutes of PVP.

Conclusion:
I think it's very likely that I'll be getting this game when it comes out, It's been so long since I've been addicted to an MMORPG, and it's good to have that feeling that my social life will be destroyed once again. It's safe to say I really enjoyed the game and really got into it cause, I nearly set the house on fire twice starting to cook something then forgetting about it entirely.

TL:DR: I like Guild Wars 2

Anyone else's thoughts?

Beta is beta.

Game's not out yet. Probably not a good idea to review it.

I've already bought the game so... I actually wasn't too impressed with the game. And it all comes down to one simple thing; I use my mouse to point 'n click. I want the game to have something like in DDO, where you can press a key and the mouse cursor gets replaced with a crosshair. I hate having to hold down the right mouse key about 95% of the time I'm playing to move the camera. Really, this simple thing is what keeps the game from being an actual action MMO. Instead, it's just a very polished point 'n click MMO.

It's not a sandbox MMO.

Hence it'll get stale all too quickly for me in all likelihood.

Even with 'dynamic' events it's just a static world that your character can't truly influence outside of a few very limited options.

Sigh... i wont be able to play it, not enough time so it will be sitting in my shelve.

Wish i was back in HS to PvP the crap of it for months QQQQ

Prosis:
Beta is beta.

Game's not out yet. Probably not a good idea to review it.

The final product is most likely gonna be the same as this last beta anyway.

Well first thing- When does a game ever apply logic and without plotholes at all? Also I was under the impression that your character isn't a newbie and had experience using the weapons well how to use it beforehand. Otherwise the tutorial area would of been some academy or training facility and maybe your character would of look young aswell (unless you did make him/ her young in the first place).
Yeah I'm getting it althought I'm bias since I'm a fan of the first game and loved it.

Biased to the series so I'll get it.

Scarim Coral:
Well first thing- When does a game ever apply logic and without plotholes at all?

I'd hate to misunderstand you here, but there actually are games which use logic AND are without plotholes.

OT: Too many MMOs have screwed me over, so I'm skeptical. But it will be fun to follow the game's progress from the sideline.

Xaio30:

Scarim Coral:
Well first thing- When does a game ever apply logic and without plotholes at all?

I'd hate to misunderstand you here, but there actually are games which use logic AND are without plotholes.

Would you care to give me an example?
I'm not saying you're wrong or anything but most games (or some) aren't suppose to be logical all the time or there's always someone who can find a plothole in any games.
E.g. How the hell can Cloud can even lift that huge buster sword when he doesn't look too muscular from FF7, wouldn't Bayonetta would had broken her back from all the aerobatic skills or how even busty girls with skimpy clothing can fight without their clothing come off (there's a video proving that) and etc?

Scarim Coral:
Well first thing- When does a game ever apply logic and without plotholes at all? Also I was under the impression that your character isn't a newbie and had experience using the weapons well how to use it beforehand.

Not ones that are this obvious, and there are no explanations on how your character can just do all this combat shit against trained soldiers, maybe with other classes, but not the thief which is the one I played, as with ranger you can kinda guess that she's had archery training.

Played in all beta weekends and found it bit boring. It's really miss sense of progression and growth and i hate stupid lvl lowering feature. There is little quest content and you have to rely on world events. GW2 is probably less social MMO i have ever played in all of beta weekends i only encountered 3 people willing to talk or organize something, everyone else was just zerging objectives.
game is ok but i like games where i can feel my character progression.
i will play it since all of my mates going to play it too, maybe end game gonna be good.

Scarim Coral:

Xaio30:

Scarim Coral:

Would you care to give me an example?
I'm not saying you're wrong or anything but most games (or some) aren't suppose to be logical all the time or there's always someone who can find a plothole in any games.

Ah, I think I see your point here. I can agree that some people can find plotholes where there are none if they try hard enough.
But if we were to define "logical" as being adamantly true to reality, then indeed no game would be logical.

For a game to be 100% logical and plothole free, it needs to give the player full control over what he wants to do, which is impossible to implement. This is the reason why I (and I'd like to say "most people") define plotholes as more major oversights in a story/plot, instead of programming or design conveniences.

An example of what I'd consider to be a game without plotholes would be the Myst games, but feel free to point out holes there if I've missed them.

While i didn't dislike the game i still don't fully like the changes they did to the skillsystem and Mesmers in particular. Dynamic events feel underwhelming since they are done with masses of players and are rarely challenging. And it has the usual MMO-syndrome of other people stealing your target mobs.

At least it didnt have any fetchquests up to the point i played it.

There should be another option: "I have already bought it and my social life is hence forfeit."

During final beta weekend I killed centaur with a grape. Yeah, that's right - I killed centaur with a grape.

It'll probably be the first MMO I enjoy playing other than Runescape in days past.

WoW can suck it.

I already own it and I don't want it anymore. So if someone wants it for cheap money, it is all yours. Massive disappointment.

I enjoyed the beta weekend events and I already pre-purchased the collector's edition.

Eh... I can tell that Guild Wars 2 is going to become another Skyrim case. Hyped up the asshole until release, and after release there's going to be a hundred thousand "Anyone else disappointed with GW2?" threads.

I think I'll stick with The Old Republic.

Hawkeye21:
There should be another option: "I have already bought it and my social life is hence forfeit."

During final beta weekend I killed centaur with a grape. Yeah, that's right - I killed centaur with a grape.

Hah, If it wasn't a beta with a time limit I would've tried to do some crazy shit too. xD

lapan:
While i didn't dislike the game i still don't fully like the changes they did to the skillsystem and Mesmers in particular. Dynamic events feel underwhelming since they are done with masses of players and are rarely challenging. And it has the usual MMO-syndrome of other people stealing your target mobs.

At least it didnt have any fetchquests up to the point i played it.

Dynamic events are done with masses of players because there are a lot of players in the starter area's at first. Come back after the first two or three weeks and I'm sure it'll be very different. Doing an event with 2~3 other people rather than 10~15 other people really ups the difficulty, though it's still properly doable.

They should have kept some of the difficulty from the first beta in the events though, as they have become too easy in several cases in each starter area.

Stealing target mobs doesn't exist in this game. You attack the mob, you get kill credit for it. And everyone gets their own kill credit for it. Loot can't be stolen either since everyone gets their own loot from a mob/chest/etc. So if 1~2 others are also attacking the mob you're attacking, it only means that the mob will go down faster. Not that they stole your mob.

Loved GW1, all it lacked was a story that could motivate me, good thing it had a "start at max level" mode and the PVP was solid.

Yes, I'll get it.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked