2011 Billboard Top 100 Review: #39-35

Let's get this over with.

#39: "Hey Baby (Drop It To the Floor)" by Pitbull featuring T-Pain

A horrible rapper and a robot. Joy.

Yes, this song sucks. It is basically a love/sex song, with T-Pain and Pitbull hitting on a girl very clumsily. The beat is dull, and the lyrics are about as intelligent as you expect with the two people involved. They do play off of each other decently, but that's about all I can say nice about this song. T-Pain's autotuned style is annoying, and Pitbull can't rap to save his life. He rhymes "monster" with "gangster", for heaven's sake.

#38: "Coming Home" by Diddy-Dirty Money featuring Skylar Grey

I've never heard of Diddy-Dirty Money, but upon research, I do recognize one name in that group, Sean Combs, also known as P. Diddy, Puff Daddy, and various other names. I do recognize Skylar Grey, but only from "I Need A Doctor", a song where she didn't belong. And I'm expecting the same from this.

Skylar Grey has a bigger part in this song, allowing her to show off her actual singing skill, which isn't great, but it is decent. The problem with this song is the rapping. P. Diddy was a pretty good rapper about ten years ago, but here, he just doesn't do a good job, and the difference between Skylar and Diddy-Dirty Money is night and day, resulting in a disjointed song. The message is nice, with Sean Combs rapping about wanting to be a role model for his kids, and feeling it is hard to do with his career, but it's lost in the mess of a song. Overall, it's not bad, but if I want a real song with "coming home" in the title, I'll listen to "Major Tome (Coming Home)" by Peter Schilling, thank you very much.

#37: "The Time (Dirty Bit)" by Black Eyed Peas

Of course I know who they are. They started out good. Hell, I still really enjoy "Let's Get It Started". But man, have they sucked lately, especially that Super Bowl performance. But is this song that bad?

Oh, yeah. To give them credit, the song starts out decently, with a sample of "The Time of My Life" from Dirty Dancing. Let's be clear. will.i.am and Fergie are no Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes. But if they had stuck to just the cover/sample, it would have been a decent song. But oh, God...

The rest of the song is just...bad. The beat sucks, being four keys hit, then a fifth held briefly, before repeating, then shifting up an octave, repeating there, shifting back down. Over, and over. As for the lyrics, it's a party song...but done terribly. will.i.am and Fergie have never relied so much on autotune to try to stay on key futilely. Then, just to piss you off, it samples the song again, reminding you how much better it could be.

Oh, and there is a guest verse by apl.de.ap. Let's put it this way. He gets outperformed by will.i.am and Fergie. That...is some major suckage. This song is terrible. I said that "Like a G6" is the song that must play in Hell. But even with all the faults that that song has, at least it doesn't actively piss me off like this song did. This is easily the worst song that Black Eyed Peas have done, and topping songs like "My Humps" and "Imma Be" for that dishonor takes some extreme fail.

#36: "Stereo Hearts" by Gym Class Heroes feat. Adam Levine

This is the only song I know from the former. Adam Levine is Maroon 5 (there are other members, but you try naming one other than Adam Levine), a band that I actually like quite a bit of output from.

It's all right. The beat is decent. The lyrics are basically a love song, using records, a stereo, and other such things as an extended metaphor e.g. "If I just another dusty record on the shelf, would you blow me off and play me like everybody else?" That's actually pretty clever wordplay, and the lyrics hold up throughout the song decently. The issue is the main band. They are decent, I guess, but they aren't outstanding. Adam Levine does a decent job, but he is wasted in this song, in terms of material that he is given. And why do these new bands feel the need to announce their names in the song? Overall, far better than the previous song, and definitely worth a listen.

#35: "If I Die Young" by The Band Perry

I know this band, and this song. Everyone has heard it, I'm sure.

I actually like this song. Sure, the lyrics are a bit emo, describing, well, look at the title for a clue. But the backing music is decent, and the lead singer has a great singing voice. The lyrics are a bit wishy-washy, though. I mean "I'm as green as the ring on my little cold finger"? But while the song lacks some substance, and the singer sounds a lot younger than she is (she sounds about 16, but she was 28 when she sang the song), it isn't bad. Not great, but definitely easy to listen to. Just don't expect any groundbreaking revelations.

Fuck Black Eyed Peas!

Previously: #44-40

Next: #34-30

I actually think Stereo Hearts is a very enjoyable song so yay for that! .. also coming home is very enjoyable also... sure Diddy sucks but hey Skylar does a good job holding it up. As for the rest pretty much a big thumbs down from me.. except maybe If i Die Young but i could NEVER get into the band perry.. perhaps thats just me

What? You guys hate Diddy on "Coming home"!? It pumps me up everythime I go to the gym and I had no problems with Diddy's part. Dirty Bit was pretty much the nail in the coffin for the Black Eye peas...Well...2011 was pretty much the death of the Black Eyed Peas. As for The Band Perry, I liked the song until I really knew the lyrics...

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked