Your Top Ten Reviewed - shrekfan246

Welcome to a new segment here in the User Reviews, where I take your top ten most played songs, and 'critically analyse' them (Read: Rip them to shreds).
This week, I'll be analysing the top ten of the greatly under-celebrated shrekfan246, who was also nice enough to supply me with direct YouTube links in his PM.
Let's get down to business!

10. Freeze - Hourcast
So this kicked off like an album track from one of the whinier grunge bands, and stayed that way. In fact, it probably is an album track from one of the whinier grunge bands, but the song certainly doesn't inspire me to investigate Hourcast any further to find out.

The 'to yooouuuu' drift-offs from the chorus are just one example of how poor the overall song composition was, and the return to the original slow notes of the beginning for the finale was an uninspiring cliché to say the least.

9. Die Tonight, Live Forever - Innerpartysystem
There are bits that I like here, in terms of the backing music, but they all drag on just a little bit too long and repeat a bit too often. I also hate the faded shout effect they keep using on the singer, and all the lyrics are vapid at best. Not great, and outstays its welcome.

8. Stay Awhile - Belle Histore
Well this is a delightful little hipster tune, and it's borrowed a few pop elements too! I like the catchy main tune, but around the 1:45 mark stuff got a little too phoned-in for me with the background oh-ing and main singer echo-ing. Still, it's a refreshing and breezy little nothing tune, though I imagine it'd get repitive with multiple listens.

7. Give In - Siamese Fighting Fish
The intro was not promising, but it thankfully ended up slightly more variation than such a start might have indicated. Awesome band name aside, I have a very mixed opinion of the song. I really like some aspects of it, and there's some great verse music going on, but I find the loud guitar segments slightly outstay their welcome once again. Personal taste and all that, but I just found it to be the blandest of background noise when it got going.

6. A Man of Science - Orbs
We're exploring a real mix of genre's here, aren't we? Well, all aboard the fun train bound for bad prog rock! The musicians are doing an alright job, even that kind of tuneless styling isn't to my taste, but oh god who chose that singer? Horrible voice, and a terrible range as well.

5. Desert of Song - Between The Buried And Me
Clearly talented guitarists involved, and the singer is certainly much better here, but I just found myself bored. Even the chorus couldn't drag me back in, and I had to play it through three times just to make myself focus on it.

4. Dragonfly Across An Ancient Sky - Helios
It's melodic and it's peaceful - bar the people walking down the stairs in the background, stop that! Not a lot more to be said about such an instrumental. Not my favourite, but then I'm more of a Sigur Ros fan.

3. Amarillo Sleeps On My Pillow - Fair To Midland
Whilst I prefer it to most of the other tracks in shrekfan's list, I still can't say I actually like it. It's a shame actually, I had been hoping it would continue in the same melodic vein as its opening, but the choruses have slightly too much of those loud bassy riffs. It all feels a bit off with everything else they're doing at the start, but then that's progressive rock for you! Towards the end I lost most of my interest really, as all the loud guitars just became a blur of tuneless bass chords.

2. Vacant Mouth - Underoath
Aside from the bridges without the guitar, this whole song just hurt my ears. Shouting and loud guitar sounds, nothing that interests me. In fact, most of it sounded like a bad chorus from a 30 Seconds to Mars B-Side...

1. Asthenia - Blink 182
Well thankfully we can wrap things up on a slightly more pleasant note - I like this one!
Tom DeLonge's voice is a bit of a sticking point for some - it's the very stereotype of whiny teen-rock - but it's one I grew up with, so I can very much bear it. One of the better Blink-182 songs, though it teases at the end with the intro note to 'Always', which is even better.

Tell me why I'm wrong/ praise my judgement in the comments below, and please submit your Top Ten Most Played to me via PM - I'll get through my backlog eventually!

Previous Review: holdthephone

Next Review: Binnsyboy

I had a hard time deciding on a Fair to Midland song, and I'm still not sure of the one I decided on because they just cover such a vast range in their songs.

Agreed on 'Asthenia' being one of the better Blink-182 songs, and as for the comment about Orbs, Adam Fisher most certainly has a voice that I think most people would find grating at best. I find it to be an acquired taste, myself.

Prog Rock is the best rock you know?

shrekfan246:
I had a hard time deciding on a Fair to Midland song, and I'm still not sure of the one I decided on because they just cover such a vast range in their songs.

To be fair, I always thought that Amarillo Sleeps on my Pillow was one of the weaker tracks from the album, Musical Chairs, A Loophole in Limbo, Short Haired Tornado, Golden Parachutes or Coppertank Island would have been better choices I think.

Actually, this looks fun, I may submit some songs to be critiqued.

Evil Smurf:

Nope, that would be heavy metal. Obviously. :D

OT: Good review. Can't wait for my favs to be picked to shreds. :D

Catfood220:

shrekfan246:

To be fair, I always thought that Amarillo Sleeps on my Pillow was one of the weaker tracks from the album, Musical Chairs, A Loophole in Limbo, Short Haired Tornado, Golden Parachutes or Coppertank Island would have been better choices I think.

Yeah, 'Coppertank Island', 'Rikki Tikki Tavi', 'Walls of Jericho', and 'Tall Tales Taste Like Sour Grapes' were the other ones I was conflicted on.

BreakfastMan:

Evil Smurf:

Your both wrong, punk and indie are where it's at.

PunkyMcGee:

BreakfastMan:

Evil Smurf:

I think you are lying out of your mouth. Punk (and hard for that matter) might come close, but indie? No way in hell. :D

BreakfastMan:

PunkyMcGee:

BreakfastMan:

I think you are lying out of your mouth. Punk (and hard for that matter) might come close, but indie? No way in hell. :D

would you expect anything else form a guy that goes by Punky? :P

shrekfan246:

Catfood220:

shrekfan246:

Yeah, 'Coppertank Island', 'Rikki Tikki Tavi', 'Walls of Jericho', and 'Tall Tales Taste Like Sour Grapes' were the other ones I was conflicted on.

I didn't realise you were choosing from Fables From a Mayfly... too. In that case, I'd definately of gone with Walls of Jericho, that song is epic wrapped up in awesome.

Its that song that made me fall in love with Fair to Midland. It was at Download Festival 2008, Fair to Midland were playing to a tent of about 20 people, they did that song, I was blown away, Derroh Sudderth is an amazing singer, it doesn't come across so well on their records but when he lets rip, just wow.

Catfood220:

shrekfan246:

Catfood220:

I didn't realise you were choosing from Fables From a Mayfly... too. In that case, I'd definately of gone with Walls of Jericho, that song is epic wrapped up in awesome.

Its that song that made me fall in love with Fair to Midland. It was at Download Festival 2008, Fair to Midland were playing to a tent of about 20 people, they did that song, I was blown away, Derroh Sudderth is an amazing singer, it doesn't come across so well on their records but when he lets rip, just wow.

He's got one of the best ranges I've ever heard, rivaling even Mike Patton in my opinion.

'Walls of Jericho' and 'Dance of the Manatee' were the first two songs I ever heard by them, then I stopped listening to them for a while at the tail end of my high school years until I heard 'Tall Tales . . .' by chance one day and looked them up again to discover they had released Arrows & Anchors.

Unfortunately I don't think they've ever toured to my state, but I'd love to see them live. Even the Youtube clips of shows are just full of energy, and as can probably be extrapolated from the above list being torn apart by Sir Bobmus, Fair to Midland are one of my favorite bands.

Bobmus, I apologize for derailing your review a bit. >.>

Huh, this sounds interesting. I can't wait for my turn, if it ever comes.

Myeh.. nothing really that special on this 10 in my own opinion.. most Prog Rock or Heavy Metal never really tickled my fancy

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked