2011 Billboard Top 100 Review: #29-25

Getting closer to the top now.

#29: "The Edge of Glory" by Lady Gaga

Another Lady Gaga song. Woo.

Seriously, I love this song. Lady Gaga is on top form singing the lyrics, and the beat is nice. As for the lyrics themselves, it is just a fun song about the last moments before death, looking back at their time with a loved one, inspired by the death of Lady Gaga's grandfather. I can't explain really what I love about this song, but if I tried to, I'd guess that it has something to do with how it sounds like an 80's hit song all over again, and I love that era of music. Also, that saxophone solo (sadly, the last work for Clarence Clemons) is freaking awesome. This is just a great tune overall, and proves that, despite what many say, Lady Gaga has some real talent.

#28: "The Show Goes On" by Lupe Fiasco

I recognize the name, but this is the only song I've heard from him. I know, give me a break. I just recently started listening to pop music.

As for the song itself...that is how you use sampling, my friends. For the chorus and intro, Lupe borrows the tune from Modest Mouse's "Float On", and it works. As for the song itself, it is basically Lupe tearing down his managers, calling them "users", and explaining that he puts up with them for the sake of entertainment. Honestly, I love these kinds of songs. Not bragging about how awesome he is (well, not much), but just an honest thanking of the fans, for making all the crap the business he is in puts him through worth it. It's just a great tune, and as I said, how to effectively use a sample without letting it take over your song. And Lupe is a skilled rapper. It's a shame he's only a few albums from retiring.

#27: "Till The World Ends" by Britney Spears

Again? Three Britney songs on this chart? How did that happen?

Well, that broke the two song streak I had going. This is the best of Britney's songs so far, but it is still nothing special. Britney is a mature singer, singing about innuendo, dancing till the world ends. Nothing much beyond that. However the beat isn't too bad, and somehow, that "whoa-oa-oa-oah!" in the chorus is pretty catchy. That's right. The catchiest part of the song is nonsense. If you want to hear one of the Britney songs from last year, this is it. It's not great, but it isn't bad, either.

#26: "The Lazy Song" by Bruno Mars

Well, it can't be worse than the last Bruno Mars song.

Fuck, why do I say shit like that? This song is...well, it fits the name. The beat, the singing, the lyrics, everything is lazy. There is nothing creative about the lyrics. Basically, Bruno is talking about how lazy he is going to be that day. But one line pisses me off, "Might mess around, get my college degree". Seriously, fuck him. I'm getting a degree, and it is not "messing around". I linked to the alternate video, because it has Leonard Nimoy, and he is awesome. But that's the only good thing about the song. Also, I don't need to hear about Bruno Mars "throwing [his] hand in[his] pants" or "strutting in [his] birthday suit", letting "everything hang loose". Ew.

#25: "Good Life" by Onerepublic

Not a huge fan of these guys, but they are usually all right.

This song has a nice beat. As for the lyrics, they aren't bad, either. Basically, they are singing about the night after the party, waking up and wondering how they hell they got there, and whose address this is. It's an interesting choice of song, and the title comes in when the singer sings about how "this has gotta be the good life". Normally, that would be shallow, but the first chorus is preceded by the line "we're young enough to say...", changing the tone of the song from a generic party song in a different setting, to one about enjoying life while you are young. Overall, not bad at all. It's not great, but it is definitely listenable.

Well, that was actually pretty good. Sure, "The Lazy Song" sucked, and Britney was Britney, but overall, the songs were pretty good. And the one two punch of "The Show Goes On" and "The Edge of Glory" was pleasant.

Previously: #34-30

Next: #24-20

I do agree that Edge of Glory is catchy and just sticks in your mind.. as for the rest... couldnt really be fussed about it.. i dont see much in Mr Fiasco and as for Britney.. she can go away for a while again :P lol.. and as for upcoming.. ill hide my head in a garbage can to get ready for it :P

Powereaver:
I do agree that Edge of Glory is catchy and just sticks in your mind.. as for the rest... couldnt really be fussed about it.. i dont see much in Mr Fiasco and as for Britney.. she can go away for a while again :P lol.. and as for upcoming.. ill hide my head in a garbage can to get ready for it :P

There are a couple other songs. They were hidden in the spoilers due to a typing fail.

true but again.. didnt fuss me so... i rest my case.... i know ill get hit by my friends for disliking the lazy song but hey i never really liked it so hah! and no people in monkey suits does not redeem a song... but the alternate video is funny!

Lupe Fiasco's "The show is going on" is another on my jogging list. The only good song that I recall with the name of "good life" is the Kanye West song back when he wasn't as much batshit insane. Yeah, Britney is Britney.

However, Lady Gaga has more talent than most people beleive...

Yep, that just happened.

Random Argument Man:
The only good song that I recall with the name of "good life" is the Kanye West song back when he wasn't as much batshit insane.

weezer had a song called the good life that was decent. As for this list in general, man not a lot of good music came out in 2011 but i guess hypothetically the best is yet to come although judging from that list not next entry.

puff ball:

Random Argument Man:
The only good song that I recall with the name of "good life" is the Kanye West song back when he wasn't as much batshit insane.

weezer had a song called the good life that was decent. As for this list in general, man not a lot of good music came out in 2011 but i guess hypothetically the best is yet to come although judging from that list not next entry.

2011 had an "interesting" year.

-It marked the end of the Black Eyes peas.
-Most people wrote angry song.
-It had Foster the people. (They had a better album than their hit song). Unknown artists, with some fun music, are taking the popchart and decide to rule it on their mighty throne.
-At least dumb pop songs were fun dumb pop songs. I can't stand 2012's "Call me maybe".
-The one that ruled the popchart wasn't a bimbo with auto-tune, but Adele.
-There's a good song called "Fuck you", but it's been dumbed down to "Forget you".

Overall, I wouldn't say it's a bad year (music wise), but an interesting one.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked