2011 Billboard Top 100 Review: #14-10

Almost in single digits!

#14: "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" by Katy Perry

Katy Perry again? All right.

Katy Perry's singing is about as good as usual, meaning all right at slightly lower pitches, but as soon as she goes a bit high, her voice doesn't handle it well. The music is pretty good, having a nice beat to groove to. The lyrics are party lyrics, talking about the day after the party, figuring out what happened last night...then going and doing it all again the next Friday. That's about as shallow as it can get. And I really enjoy this song. I don't know why. Maybe it's that Kenny G sax solo. Yeah, this is a shallow song, without much substance...but my God, is it fun to listen to.

#13: "Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster the People

This was the first year for this band. They definitely sound different than most modern rock bands.

This is another song that I really like. The beat is catchy, especially that muted guitar intro. The singing is decent enough, bringing to mind songs like Filter's "Hey Man, Nice Shot". Where the song really stands out for me, though, are the lyrics, which describe a suburban kid taking his dad's handgun and shooting the hipsters, people who are wearing the title footwear. It's as explicit as it can get, too. Hell, the chorus is "All the other kids with their pumped up kicks/better run, better run, faster than my gun/All the other kids with their pumped kicks/you better run, better run faster than my bullet". And despite those words, the entire song is actually quite bouncy, reminding me of "I Don't Like Mondays", one of my favorite 70's songs. It's ironic that this song is so popular with hipsters, but hell, why not? It's a great song, and shows that not every hit song out there is cookie-cutter pop.

#12: "S&M" by Rihanna

Another Rihanna song? This is the fifth one I've had to review for this list! I like Rihanna, but damn.

This song isn't bad, but it isn't that good either. Rihanna is as good as usual with her voice, and the beat is something new for her, sampling Depeche Mode, and therefore having a more 80's synth feel to the beat. The lyrics are my problem with this song. She is singing about S&M. That's it. That's what this song is about. It's not a metaphor. It is exactly what it says on the tin. That's not necessarily bad, and she does sound somehow sexy in the song, but it's the same thing she does every time. Say what you want about Lady Gaga, but at least she does switch up song themes.

Awesome beat, though.

#11: "On the Floor" by Jennifer Lopez feat. Pitbull

J-Lo hasn't been relevant in the music scene for about 10 or 15 years (and yes, I'm including American Idol in that. Second-worst...Idol judge...ever.), and Pitbull...I can only thing of so many ways to say he sucks.

This song is bad. The beat is really bad, sounding like a robot trying to start, but not quite having enough power in the verses, though the beat in the chorus is generic. As for the lyrics...it is a party song. J-Lo's singing isn't exactly bad, but it is clear why she is no longer relevant, because her singing has not changed with the times, and sounds dated. As for Pitbull...he is on form here, meaning terrible. "Back that back up like a Tonka truck"? At least Pitbull is actually rapping, but he is only all right at that. This is a definite miss.

#10: "Just Can't Get Enough" by Black Eyed Peas

Please...just let this be better than "The Time (Dirty Bit)".

It is. It's not good, mind you. The beat is the same two keys on a piano, a keyboard, and a drum machine. Generic, in other words. As for the lyrics, it is a love song, comparing the love of will.i.am and Fergie to an addiction. That's right, it's this year's version of "Your Love is My Drug", or to go old-school, "I Want A New Drug". will.i.am cannot sing, auto-tuned even more than T-Pain, and Fergie is only an all right singer. She'd finish about 7th on "American Idol". It's bland, but even that is an improvement over their other hit this year. And there is a neat synth part that reminds me of an 8 bit video game. Other than that, though, this song leaves no impression on me, good or bad.

That was fun. Only one outright terrible song! Let's hope the trend continues.

Previously: #19-15
Next: #9-5

Im curious to know what the one good song of the next 5 is :D because this 5 was pretty throw away to.. why must people have such bad mainstream music tastes! :D

Powereaver:
Im curious to know what the one good song of the next 5 is :D because this 5 was pretty throw away to.. why must people have such bad mainstream music tastes! :D

"Fuck You" by Ceelo Green.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked