2004 Billboard Top 100 Review: #100-96

I actually had a decent time with the last one, so I decided to do another one. And a random number generator provided the year. So, without further ado, the top 100 songs of 2004.

#100: "I Go Back" by Kenny Chesney

Starting off with country. And I mean, country. You can't get much more country than they guy who brought us "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy".

The music and singing are basic country. The lyrics are pretty nice, though. Basically, Kenny Chesney is singing about memories he has connected to a song, making him "go back" to his past whenever he hears said song. I think everyone has songs like that, and it is easy to relate to this song. However, the song is not much more than just a nice country song. Has a pretty neat guitar solo, but overall this song is just an average country song.

#99: "Letters From Home" by John Michael Montgomery

Ah, this song. Well, time to give my thoughts on it.

It's country, again. This time, however, it is a slower country song, with a baritone singer. The song is told from the point of view of a soldier out of the country, receiving letters from home and taking inspiration from them to keep going. Until a couple of years ago, I didn't think much of this song, and then I actually went to boot camp, where letters were the only way to keep contact with my family. Once you've been in that situation, you really understand just how valuable letters can really be, something this song does a really good job of showing. Overall, I have a much higher opinion of this song due to personally relating to it, but without that, the song isn't really all that special.

#98: "Just Lose It" by Eminem

Woo! Solo Eminem song! That's nice to see, since all his songs in 2011 were with another rapper or singer.

It's basic rap backing music, and Eminem is on style. Basically, his is rapping about his comeback, after being out for a while. It is done in his Slim Shady persona, rapping about being on the dance floor and stuff. It's pretty good, and I do enjoy the Pee-Wee Herman soundbite he uses (or imitates well). However, it is not Eminem's strongest showing. It's generic, other than a few Freudian slips. I like it, but it's definitely a sign that Eminem was not on form this year.

#97: "Redneck Woman" by Gretchen Wilson

Ugh. Let's get this over with.

The music is actually a bit more rock than usual for a country song, kind of making think of Grease. But the lyrics are not all that good, to say the least. Basically, Gretchen Wilson is singing about how country she is, and being a proud redneck. It's interesting to hear a female sing about that, but it is something I've heard done over and over by country, and I'm sick of it. She's a decent singer, though, which just makes this song more frustrating for me, because of how "safe" it is. She could do much better, but she decides to sing another "country, fuck yeah!" song.

#96: "Over and Over" by Nelly feat. Tim McGraw

There's an...interesting combination. R&B with country. It actually could work.

The music is basic R&B stuff. Nelly is on form singing, but the lyrics are fairly meh. Basically, he is missing his girl, who has moved on and picked up another guy, something that he can't imagine, no matter how hard it tries. It is a nice enough song to listen to, and it is good to hear the singer bear some of the blame for their lover leaving them. Tim McGraw is very much wasted in the song, though. He basically exists to say "I can't go on not loving you", but he does get two more lines during the bridge. Take out his part, and the song is almost completely the same. Overall, decent enough, but too generic to really stand out. This song would have been a lot more interesting if Tim McGraw had a bigger part.

Well, that's the start. So far, so bland. Hopefully, things will pick up.

Next: #95-91

I pretty standard beginning.. i know Redneck Woman was HUGE in the US and i used to enjoy listening to Over and Over but back then i wasnt hugely into country so the rest were a bit meh at the time and i wasnt a MASSIVE Eminem fan.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked