No More Heroes Symbolism (Conclusion!)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Let's all touch our beam katana inappropriately one last time and discover the true meaning of Travis's Journey. If there is one...

-Previous parts-

Part 1:

Part 2:

And now, the main event: PART 3

As always, feedback and support is appreciated. Let me know if you enjoyed. Thanks guys! :D

Mod Edit: Please embed all videos next time, or link to the previous thread if that is preferred.

I eagerly await your inevitable Escapist Partnership.

...why hasn't that happened yet again?

Seriously, you're already comparable to James Rolf and Thatguywiththeglasses. I mean it. Turn this into your job already. XD

Coolshark:

Seriously, you're already comparable to James Rolf and Thatguywiththeglasses. I mean it. Turn this into your job already. XD

XD I'll try for that kinda stuff soon. I think I'm at the point where I can at least apply soon. I've been invited to some websites, so yeah.

And thanks man. You flatter me, comparin' me to mah heroes.

is there any symbolism in okami(i personalty can't find much)? if there is enough you should do a video on if it.
but then again any potently exiting symbolism i probably lost when people who are not from japan play it. so that might be hard

well i am not sure what to criticize so Continue the good work.

Reincarnatedwolfgod:
is there any symbolism in okami(i personalty can't find much)? if there is enough you should do a video on if it. but then again any exiting symbolism i probably lost when people who are not from japan play it. so that might be impossible

well i am not sure what to criticize so Continue the good work.

There's actually a decent amount of symbolism, but if I make a video on it, I'll probably mostly be talking about the generally artistry and how 'different' it was in comparison to most other games nowadays. There's enough to talk about, even it's just talking about Japanese mythology.

I think you're the next big gamer online. I honestly do.

This whole series was awesome. Have a sub, and best of luck.

SomethingWorse:

Thanks dude, means a lot to me. :D

I've been looking forward to these ever since you posted part one here.

Keep up the good work kid.

Oh. Also, time to subscribe.

I'd listen to anybody with a beard that amazing.

Overusedname:

Coolshark:

XD I'll try for that kinda stuff soon. I think I'm at the point where I can at least apply soon. I've been invited to some websites, so yeah.

And thanks man. You flatter me, comparin' me to mah heroes.

You deserve it. And the amount of views you get is CRIMINAL.

Glad the show's catching on. But more people need to hear your ProphItic visions. I hope you get featured soon wherever you apply :D Good luck dude.

Shadowstar38:
I've been looking forward to these ever since you posted part one here.

Keep up the good work kid.

Oh. Also, time to subscribe.

Thank you mate. I'm glad you enjoyed :D

So... How about that Henry guy? :D

OT: All joking aside, I really hope that this series will get you to good places, like the Escapist! :D

So, despite the extremely obvious hints that you were giving by the end of the video, what's the next game you plan on tackling?

Is it bad that my favorite part of this is the derpy few opening seconds?

But as always, you really know what you're talking about. This was a very cool series.

In terms of the old lady, she might be a reference to feminine empowerment. The fact that she uses a phallic weapon but HATES MEN might mean something. She's kind of an enigma, but I feel like her cannon has something to do with the hatred of men.

Overusedname:

SomethingWorse:

Thanks dude, means a lot to me. :D

No prob bro.

Stay classy. :D

You know what? If TGWTG was still accepting new contributors, I think you could totally make it on. You are basically the video-game equivalent of Oancitizen, in my eyes. :P

OT: Excellent video series. You present your thesis and points very convincingly, but you never act pretentious (despite you constant self-deprecation) or elitist, which makes your points much easier to swallow. Overall, excellent video series, looking forward to whatever you put out next. Like a killer7 or Deadly Premonition video perhaps? Would love to hear your thoughts on those 2. :D

As I've said before, I love it when people see the kind of deep and profound stories that games DO often tell. Far too common is it for people to dismiss games as having inherently inferior narrative to other mediums. Of course the video game is less often a narrative masterpiece than the book, play, show, or film due to its nature but it still often has very important things to say; far more often than it is commonly given credit for.

At any rate, this was quite intriguing as I haven't played this particular game. Deconstructive stories are great fun.

The NEXT one, however (*cough*whatcoulditpossiblybe*cough*) I suspect I already know quite a bit about... down to the finest detail, one might say. I'm curious to see how your analysis compares with my own views.

Gee, I wonder what could be coming next...

Good conclusion to a good series. Looking forward to more. And the quality is getting better each episode, so you seem to be getting into the swing of things. Keep it up, man. This is one of the most interesting things I've seen in a long time.

excellent video and subscribed, I'm surprised that you decided not to get into the space shooter mini game, phone messages, Henry, and a certain infamous boss fight. you could make a whole additional video from just that stuff and another from the sequel. (hint hint)

I always thought speed buster was in some way related to time or age. she wears mourning clothing, kills the older master, has an unstoppable attack, and if weapons are phallic she has the biggest of them all. even the name speed buster points to that in some ways if you read it as someone who destroys speed, a trait of youth.

That was an awesome series, and I'm glad someone is doing this. I love looking into works of fiction and seeing what the writers really had in mind, it's fascinating to me. You've got a viewer.

Yay, I've been waiting to the conclusion.
And it didn't disappoint; it's sublime, 's godlike, 's goooooooood.
Can't wait for the next one.

Well this post exploded overnight. Thanks a lot ya'll! :D

2733:
excellent video and subscribed, I'm surprised that you decided not to get into the space shooter mini game, phone messages, Henry, and a certain infamous boss fight. you could make a whole additional video from just that stuff and another from the sequel. (hint hint)

If there's anything I learned from earlier videos, it was that I needed to focus on the most important stuff. I sliced out some footage addressing some of that stuff...I might upload some extended footage at some point.

OR HOLD OUT FOR THE DVD. :D

...I'm about 2 years ahead of myself with that one aren't I? And I'll cover the sequel at some point, don't worry.

I always thought speed buster was in some way related to time or age. she wears mourning clothing, kills the older master, has an unstoppable attack, and if weapons are phallic she has the biggest of them all. even the name speed buster points to that in some ways if you read it as someone who destroys speed, a trait of youth.

That's...pretty interesting. She was certainly the oldest character.

False Nobility:

In terms of the old lady, she might be a reference to feminine empowerment. The fact that she uses a phallic weapon but HATES MEN might mean something. She's kind of an enigma, but I feel like her cannon has something to do with the hatred of men.

That's a cool idea as well...

Keep thinking about this. This woman is honestly confusing me XD

I'll try to get to the other comments when I get a sec. Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Interesting watch.

The title of the game is blunt but apt if it's criticizing violence. All the way back to Greek mythology a "hero" was a skilled warrior who went into battle for the good of his community[1], or was just favoured by a deity. Non-combatants weren't ever heroes, a notion that by and large persist to this day. These days the latter parts have kind of dissolved, while the first part remain. Hence the rise to prominence of the anti-hero, with far more relatable and realistically blurred motives, but no less violent methods. Guess the title is as much a plea as it is a statement.

Suda51 never was subtle with his criticisms of the negative effect he believes media and culture can have: This is the guy who in a later game have a boss who can damage the player's health with the letters of offensive words. Alas meaning that anyone to whom Freedom of Speech is dear should be wary about supporting his games.

[1] As their legends tell, most of them are actually motivated by quite selfish reasons, and the community/country/king they fight for might well also be up to no good. But fighting for king and country makes you a hero regardless. Sounds familiar?

I've not been able to get very far in NMH (Schoolwork piled up on Friday D:) so I still can't speak to the later fights (REVIEW STUFF I'VE PLAYED DAMNIT xD) but I must say this episode was pretty somber. The stuff you said about violence reminds of this quote by two psychologists (Bushman and Anderson I think) who study violence in media.

"About 350 characters appear each night on prime-time TV, but studies show an average of seven of these people are murdered every night.

If this rate applied in reality, then in just 50 days everyone in the United States would be killed and the last left could turn off the TV."

I don't think people give as much thought to what they consume as they should. I'm not saying violence media is a bad (Far from it, GTA FTW), but I think a little self-conciousness would be a good thing.

It seems I have a new web-video-series to follow

Imperator_DK:
Interesting watch.

The title of the game is blunt but apt if it's criticizing violence. All the way back to Greek mythology a "hero" was a skilled warrior who went into battle for the good of his community[1], or was just favoured by a deity. Non-combatants weren't ever heroes, a notion that by and large persist to this day. These days the latter parts have kind of dissolved, while the first part remain. Hence the rise to prominence of the anti-hero, with far more relatable and realistically blurred motives, but no less violent methods. Guess the title is as much a plea as it is a statement.

Suda51 never was subtle with his criticisms of the negative effect he believes media and culture can have: This is the guy who in a later game have a boss who can damage the player's health with the letters of offensive words. Alas meaning that anyone to whom Freedom of Speech is dear should be wary about supporting his games.

Thank ye. And I always thought he wanted violence to have an artistic purpose, that's impression I got from his work anyway.

Offering critism doesn't neccesarily mean he's pro-censorship, but I can understand your analysis. He's counter culture with regards to his violent topics, but the guy still loves wrestling after all.

I also love you greek myth reference. Their tropes still influence fiction all over the place.

[1] As their legends tell, most of them are actually motivated by quite selfish reasons, and the community/country/king they fight for might well also be up to no good. But fighting for king and country makes you a hero regardless. Sounds familiar?

Overusedname:

False Nobility:

I'll try to get to the other comments when I get a sec. Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I also think that her age can't be a coincidence. I think the fact that she killed someone close to Trav is pointing out how tragic death is when you're on the receiving end.

Overusedname:
Thank ye. And I always thought he wanted violence to have an artistic purpose, that's impression I got from his work anyway.

Offering critism doesn't neccesarily mean he's pro-censorship, but I can understand your analysis. He's counter culture with regards to his violent topics, but the guy still loves wrestling after all.

I take Travis accidental(/author insert) epiphany to be meant quite literally: You shouldn't seek meaning in everything, especially not violence. As in, not ever in violence, which is why the hero - inherently violent however noble his goal - need to go as something we place admiration and faith in. No more Heroes, please!

Otherwise, all it takes is a con-lady messing with a deadbeat loser, and we've potentially got a killing spree on our hands. Anybody can become violent in a culture that attach meaning to it, men and women, young and old, Travis meets them all, and they're all as lost, pitiable, and despicable as himself. That Suda51 then simultaneously use/ridicule "lower" Japanese/American culture in his games is then where the importance of an "artistic purpose" comes in.

In fact, I'd go as far as saying that Suda51 is kinda trolling his audience[1] by making ultraviolent games in overblown low culture settings, which say that such things are meaningless drivel that could even be harmful. And gets away with it because it's all so quirky and over the top, and ultimately a refreshing change from all the games playing it safe. I respect that he has the guts and skill to pull it off, even if I rather dislike the message (which might not be as harsh as I perceive it though).

I also love you greek myth reference. Their tropes still influence fiction all over the place.

That they do. Almost on par with the Abrahamic ones, and arguably overtaking them.

[1] He actually wouldn't be the first Japanese game developer to do this, though he'd undoubtedly be the most commercially successful.

Imperator_DK:

Overusedname:

I take Travis accidental(/author insert) epiphany to be meant quite literally: You shouldn't seek meaning in everything, especially not violence. As in, not ever in violence, which is why the hero - inherently violent however noble his goal - need to go as something we place admiration and faith in. No more Heroes, please!

Otherwise, all it takes is a con-lady messing with a deadbeat loser, and we've potentially got a killing spree on our hands. Anybody can become violent in a culture that attach meaning to it, men and women, young and old, Travis meets them all, and they're all as lost, pitiable, and despicable as himself. That Suda51 then simultaneously use/ridicule "lower" Japanese/American culture in his games is then where the importance of an "artistic purpose" comes in.

In fact, I'd go as far as saying that Suda51 is kinda trolling his audience[1]

He's definitely messing with us somewhat. That's something he's very good at.

My own sense of humor may be coloring my perception, but Suda's work seems...affectionately mean, if that makes sense. Like, he trolls us cause he loves us. He wants to improve his genre and community, and maybe that is a little arrogant, but he certainly raises good points. And like you said, he does it in such a funny way it's hard to hate him.

[1] He actually wouldn't be the first Japanese game developer to do this, though he'd undoubtedly be the most commercially successful.

False Nobility:

Overusedname:

False Nobility:

I also think that her age can't be a coincidence. I think the fact that she killed someone close to Trav is pointing out how tragic death is when you're on the receiving end.

That was the first place my mind went, but I wasn't sure enough to come out and say it. I still think it's a valid theory.

Overusedname:

False Nobility:

Overusedname:

That was the first place my mind went, but I wasn't sure enough to come out and say it. I still think it's a valid theory.

I liked looking at all the ideas here and in the comment section as well, but I can see why you had a problem. So many interpretations.

On a side note: holy crap this got popular fast. Congrats. I remember back when like...three people were commenting on yer stuff.

Well I just watched through all of these videos. Pretty cool. I'll have to watch your other stuff later.

False Nobility:

I liked looking at all the ideas here and in the comment section as well, but I can see why you had a problem. So many interpretations.

On a side note: holy crap this got popular fast. Congrats. I remember back when like...three people were commenting on yer stuff.

Yeah....I'm still not sure what it is, lol. I like a lot of the ideas.

One of my fav theories is that it's a microcosm of the main plot, but I can't really explain why since it would spoil the end.

natster43:
Well I just watched through all of these videos. Pretty cool. I'll have to watch your other stuff later.

Thanks yo :D Glad you liked.

o.0

you sneaked it on here ....

-.-

I'm onto you and your sneaky ways ....

anyway, good video (like all of them so far), and good call on Badgirl, i kinda forgot about her in lue of the fights with Jean and Henry also, Jeans back-story is pretty messed up if go back a really listen (or read in my case).

Lunar Templar:
o.0

-.-

anyway, good video (like all of them so far), and good call on Badgirl, i kinda forgot about her in lue of the fights with Jean and Henry also, Jeans back-story is pretty messed up if go back a really listen (or read in my case).

I did post this one much sooner than usual...And yeah, I LOVE Badgirl. Best boss fight ever.

Overusedname:

Lunar Templar:
o.0

-.-

I did post this one much sooner than usual...And yeah, I LOVE Badgirl. Best boss fight ever.

yes you did. she is a good boss fight, one of the few i had to redo cause she kicked my ass.

also, not sure i agree totally with the bit about 'not good if fiction is the only place your getting your fulfillment' comment, though i admittedly don't really have much of a counter for it other then 'life tends to suck, so i hunt 2 story tall, 4 arm and winged monsters for fun cause reality seems set on not giving me anything to look forward to' course, i also realize, this probably makes me as bad as Travis

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked