2004 Billboard Top 100 Review: #80-76

New avatar, same old reviewer. RIP old avatar. 2008-2012.

#80: "Gigolo" by Nick Cannon feat. R. Kelly

Only thing I know about Nick Cannon is that he is the host of "America's Got Talent".

Well, the music isn't all that great. It sounds like someone trying to imitate Atari sounds on a keyboard, having never heard an actual Atari game. The singing/rapping isn't bad. Nick Cannon's not great, but he's not horrible. He'd be better if he could decide whether to rap or sing, rather than trying to do both at once, though. The lyrics are not too bad either. It's exactly what you expect from the title. He is hitting on a girl, bragging about how great he is with women. The song wouldn't be bad, but that beat repeats over and over on the keyboard, looping, and is louder than the actual singing/rapping. It drives you nuts, and the lyrics are not good enough to make up for that.

#79: "Breaking the Habit" by Linkin Park

OK, confession time. I actually like Linkin Park. Yes, they can be a bit wangsty at times, but I enjoy most of their songs. This could be an exception, though.

Nice beat. Faster paced than most LP songs, and the guitar has a different tone. The singing isn't bad, but Chester Bennington definitely has a style of singing in a soft tone before breaking into a shout for the chorus, which gets old. The lyrics basically describe a man who is in a bad place, not sure why he's got there, but judging from the use of the title, I think he's a drug addict. It's something that has been done quite often, but Linkin Park's angry style really works for the song. I like it. It's a good song to disprove Linkin Park as being an "emo" band. They are angry, but for good reason in this song, not just whining.

#78: "Step in the Name of Love" by R. Kelly

OK, I like R. Kelly, but that pun hurts.

Again, I recognize that music from somewhere, but I can't think of where. It is nice, though. It has a good R&B beat. The singing is also pretty good. R. Kelly is singing in a higher tone than usual for him, apparently trying to pull off Marvin Gaye, which he can't, but it still isn't bad. The lyrics are...eh. Basically, he is using dancing as a type of courtship, which is a nice metaphor. But Doctor Who pulled it off better. And the spoken intervals are, or should be, unnecessary. The first one, at the very beginning, tells you what the song is going to be about. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't that be a job for the lyrics? The song is also too long for its own good, clocking in at about 7 minutes. That is way too long for a song that isn't saying much. I enjoy love songs, and this one does remind me of a Marvin Gaye song, but ends up just showing why Marvin Gaye is so good, and why he is nearly impossible to emulate.

#77: "100 Years" by Five for Fighting

I've heard of this band, but never took the time to listen to them. I do know there aren't actually five members though. They took their name from a hockey penalty.

Oh, I have actually heard this song. Well, the music is pretty good. It's very keyboard driven, but never loops or repeats to the point of annoyance. The singing is also pretty nice, with the singer pulling off a good falsetto. As for the lyrics, they are the strong point of the song. Basically, the song is basically aimed at young people, saying not to worry about any minor problems, because you are only 15 for a moment, and there is no point in worrying about the small problems when you've still got 100 years to go. It's a nice message, and seems honest. I really like this song, and it didn't have to make me feel sad to get its message across.

#76: "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" by Jet

This song, I know. It was, quite literally, a commercial hit. How many of you pictured those iPhone commercials when you saw the song name?

I like the music, even if it is totally a rip off of Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life", at least in the intro. The singing isn't bad either, having a feeling of being from an 80's punk band. Nothing wrong with that at all. The lyrics are pretty basic, basically asking a girl...well, see the title, and hitting on her. Nothing special. But this song is high-energy, and insanely catchy. While the lyrics are nothing special, this song is still quite easy to dance to, and gets stuck in your head due to the nature of the song. I approve. And luckily, if you have Rock Band, you can sing the song too, and destroy your vocal cords trying to hit those high screams.

Well, that wasn't bad. The first song was not good, and the third song was solidly "meh", but the rest were quite enjoyable. Let's hope it keeps up.

Previously: #85-81

Next: #75-71

My new avatar is courtesy of webcomic artist Rachel Keslensky. If you like it, let me know, and I'll send you to her main comic.

I actually enjoyed Breaking The Habit .. its a good song that sticks in your mind.. and the clip is a very interesting experience, as for 100 years.. something about a couple of Five for Fighting songs really hit the Spot this and Superman both are great songs imo.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked