2004 Billboard Top 100 Review: #70-66

Let's proceed down (up?) the list.

#70: "Get Low" by Lil Jon and The Eastside Boyz feat. Ying Yang Twins

Lil Jon is all right as a rapper. Don't know the other two groups, but I automatically dislike anyone who intentionally misspells their band name.

Ah, this song...OK, the music is a bit annoying, but somehow catchy. The rapping is decent. A bit slow for my tastes, but they do have rhythm. However, The Eastside Boyz are about as good as I expected. Which is to say, not very. The lyrics are...this is the song everyone points to when it comes to rap songs about sex. You know, the one that goes "From the window...to the walls!" Yeah, the rest of the lyrics are about as good as that. This song definitely has its place in history, and like I said, the rapping is pretty good. It's just a shallow song. It is better than a lot of sex songs, which is why it's still known today. That doesn't make it a great song, though.

#69: "Baby Boy" by Beyonce feat. Sean Paul

Not a huge Beyonce fan, but she does have a guest singer. A reggae singer, no less.

The beat is pretty minimal, being a keyboard hit on the same keys over and over, and a light drum beat. Beyonce is a decent singer, but she is definitely outshined on this song by Sean Paul, who is an incredibly talented reggae artist. The lyrics are about as basic as the lyrics to "Get Low". They like each other, and fantasize about each other. You know the drill. The song is pretty good, though. Beyonce does a lot better singing about love than she does about break-ups and exes, and the lyrics never go to the point of making stupid analogies, trying to tie everything into a theme other than romance. Granted, the romance is, shall we say, a bit more shallow than love, but it still works. Not sure Beyonce could have pulled it off without Sean Paul's help, though.

#68: "Damn!" by YoungBloodZ feat. Lil Jon

Another Lil Jon song already. As for the main group, never heard of them, but that name does everything to piss me off. Misspelled, mashing together words, and random capitals.

Well, at least it starts off with the suck, rather than getting my hopes up. That beat is so obnoxious. It's basically two keyboard loops, only different in the octave they are played in, with the last note in each loop blaring. They are not bad rappers, when they actually bother to rap. However, they spend way too much time in the choruses just shouting. As for the lyrics...the main line is "If you don't give a damn, we don't give a fuck!" That's Oscar material right there, isn't it? I don't mind coarse language, but I am tired of anti-social rap songs, shouting down "the man". Lil Jon does a decent job in his one guest verse, but this song is beyond saving. This song shows everything that was wrong with rap in the early to mid 2000's.

#67: "Head Sprung" by LL Cool J

Funnily enough, I'm more familiar with LL Cool J's acting than I am his rapping.

The beat is better than the last song. At least this keyboard doesn't just play a few notes in a loop and blare notes. As for LL Cool J, he is a pretty good rapper. The song is basically a party rap song, singing about going to the club, as well as bragging about how cool LL Cool J is, talking about how he loves the girls in clubs. It's...generic. There is nothing that stands out as good or bad about this song. It is catchy, but only to a point. it is definitely better than the last song, though, and LL Cool J is a decent rapper, showing good rhythm. It's a shame he couldn't at least attempt some wordplay, rather than cashing in on what everyone else was doing.

#66: "One Thing" by Finger Eleven

Hey, a rock band! I only know them for "Paralyzer", though. That song's pretty good, so let's see if this one is any better.

This is definitely different than "Paralyzer". The beat is a slower rock song beat. Reminds me a bit of "Landslide", actually. The singer does a pretty good job of showing his sensitive side. I'm sure a lot of people will go "Oh, this song" at the chorus. Basically, the lyrics describe the singer regretting a relationship deteriorating, and how he would be willing to trade everything for "one thing", which is that relationship back. It is an honest love song, and the emotions are put through the words quite well. I like it, and it really shows that Finger Eleven is more than a one hit wonder, and has genuine talent.

And that's that. Overall, a very meh set. The last song was pretty good, but most of the others were bland at best.

Previously: #75-71

Next: #65-61

Im with you.. its a very meh set.. not a great set of 5.. and honestly thats the first time ive heard one thing as well... i only know Finger Eleven for Paralyzer also oh well i learned a new song! :D

"One Thing" is by the same band as "Paralyzer"? The hell?! I've heard both songs countless times, but I never would have made that connection.

And I just want to say, this series is awesome, as was the last one.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked