2004 Billboard Top 100 Review: #55-51

Well, that was embarrassing. Let's do this for real, and get back on track.

#55: "On Fire" by Lloyd Banks

I believe I've reviewed him already. I've already forgotten the song, which shows how memorable he is.

Well, the beat is generic rap. Nothing special, just like Lloyd Banks's rapping. Oh, and the chorus is done by a guest artist, 50 Cent. He is...not a good rapper, in my opinion. As for the lyrics, Lloyd Banks is bragging about his bling, and all the stuff he can buy, and how awesome he is. Yeah, this song is obnoxious to me. He can't rap all that well, and I hate songs that are about bragging almost without exception. Also, I can't agree anyone says that "I'm not a bitch". Chances are, if you have to say you aren't, you are.

#54: "My Happy Ending" by Avril Lavigne

Avril Lavigne in her prime. Let's see how she does.

The beat is nothing special. Quite reminiscent of...every Avril Lavigne song ever. She has a decent voice, though. As for the lyrics, she is basically singing about the exact opposite of what most commercial uses for this song think she is singing about. This is not a love song, it's a break-up song, and quite a good one. She doesn't tear down her ex very much, other than a couple of token swipes that seem more half-hearted than anything. Instead, she focuses on how much the break-up affected her, saying "so much for my happy ending". Basically, reality meets fairy tale romance. I like it, actually. Nice to hear honest break-up songs that don't focus on demonizing the other partner.

#53: "Sorry 2004" by Ruben Studdard

Really, I have to listen to Ruben Studdard? Really? Fu...dgesicles.

The beat is pretty nice, being a slower R&B song. Ruben Studdard is...decent I guess, but he really struggles on the higher notes. Not acceptable for an American Idol winner. That aside, the lyrics are pretty nice, being basically an apology for all that he has done wrong to his girl. Nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, he does seem pretty genuine in this song. It's not a great song, but it is a good song, and does give you a nice feeling. There's a reason this was pretty much his only hit ever.

#52: "I Like That" by Houston feat. Chingy, Nate Dogg, and I-20

Only name I recognize is Chingy. I did not like the last song I heard from him.

That beat...is obnoxious. Maybe it's the high held keyboard notes that bore into the brain, but is annoying and distracting from the rapping. Which is universally not very good, so no real loss. Lyrics-wise, it is describing a girl. To specific, a girl that is on the verge of some very unwanted contact by the rapper, judging by the lyrics. I could go into specifics, but let's just put it this way. As bad as Enrique Iglesias's "Tonight...(I'm Fucking You)" was, at least it left the rape mostly implied, rather than just coming out and saying "I'm on the verge of dropping my pants". That's right, this song has actually topped "Tonight..." on the Rape-O-Meter. Well done, Houston. Now, go fuck yourself.

#51: "Meant To Live" by Switchfoot

Woo, let's get some rock up in here!

Ah, this song. I'm sure everyone will have the same reaction as soon as the beat kicks in. At least this is a real rock song. The singing is very....grungy, though. Not bad, but it seems out of place in this kind of rock band. The lyrics are not bad, I guess. I have no idea what they are singing about, though. It sounds like they put together random words based on some sentence structure sense, and rhythm. I think they are singing about how we are squandering the point of our lives, and how we were meant to live for so much more, but I'm not sure.

It is a pretty good rock song, though. Shallow, yes. Possibly pretentious, yes. But still rock. And rock rocks. Does it not?

Well, that wasn't as bad as I feared. Other than #52, which was exactly as bad as I feared.

Previously: #50-46

Next: #45-41

At least My Happy Ending and Switchfoot arent a bad duo out of this 5.... so.. there is hope in the second half perhaps? I used to have to deal with Avril all the time back in the day due to mum and little sister being quite big avril fans.. blergh :D

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked