The Walking Dead: No Time Left (360)

Notes before I begin
All images taken from Google/Bing.
Any TL;DR posts will be reported and the poster will be hunted down by me with a spoon, talcum powder and many cacti.
Put any plot discussions in spoiler tags. If you don't know how to use spoiler tags, you put [*spoiler]Words here[*/spoiler] and remove the *'s.

The Walking Dead has left me an emotional wreck after each and every episode. Throughout The Walking Dead's various episodes, Telltale Games have managed to entertain me, make me laugh, make me cry and make me feel connected with the characters in game. I've felt genuine anger for some, others I've loved seeing on screen and interacting with in game. They've twisted with my heart strings, pulling me and immersing me in a world like no other game has ever managed to do in my fifteen years of playing video games. And in this final episode, No Time Left, they take all of the emotional entanglement from the previous episodes, play with it a bit more before deciding in this episode that enough is enough; we're going to destroy your emotions like we've never done before at least twice before we're done with this series. As for how Telltale Games manage this, I cannot say as that's heading into huge spoiler territory, you'll have to go play the whole game and find out. Needless to say though, on the journey to the end of No Time Left, there's more tough choices and more emotional choices to make; more of everything that has made this series well known and widely praised.

This is how you will feel come the end of the episode. Trust me.

No Time Left picks up immediately after the end of episode 4, Around Every Corner and once again follows Lee and the group of survivors as they head out into the hellhole that is Savannah in search of Clementine, who has been taken by an unknown man. Finding Clemetine is pretty much how the entire episode is spent, with no deviations from this path as well. It doesn't suffer for it, it actually makes it better. It's nice to finally have a solid aim whilst playing, something the previous episodes lacked. It also helps that No Time Left also kicks off with one of the biggest choices in The Walking Dead's history, so it takes no time to start pulling huge punches, throwing hard choices at you as soon as you start the episode. And it doesn't get any easier from there, if anything it actually becomes harder. There's one choice that comes to mind that actually made me put my head in my hands, due to how hard of a choice I had to make and the consequences it was going to have. Some of you who have played this know what scene I'm talking about. It was a harrowing choice to make, one of the hardest, if not the hardest, I've ever had to make in a game. Just thinking about the choice makes me feel like an emotional wreck, even now.

I'm avoiding discussing the plot of this episode as it's more or less a huge spoiler to do so. You'll have to play it to experience how amazing this episode is, words simply can't do it justice to how well written it is and how well it's executed. It's the best episode in terms of story, as it should be. That said, if I could find one flaw with this episodes plot, it's how it ends. It doesn't end badly, it actually wraps up well and sets up the second series of The Walking Dead. It just ends on a cliffhanger of sorts, although you'll only see the scene in question if you watch the credits all the way through and it might change depending on what people did; I've only played it through once at the time of writing so the scene may change drastically, depending on the choices made through out. However, it feels like Telltale Games are dropping hints that they haven't finished with the characters of this story yet, despite everything being wrapped up nicely in a little end screen blurb that tells you what happened to the group as you went along. It just hints that they're may be more to come, but yet it also feels like they've wrapped up this particular story nicely, so the cliffhanger seems like the next series is going to undo a few things you've done.

It's this episode Lee becomes the King of Badassery too.

I've avoided talking about the gameplay of No Time Left as it's exactly how I described it back in my review of the first episode. Nothing's changed here either; it's still point and click, with some quick time events thrown in to keep things from getting too boring. It's functional and it does the job it has to do. I have, however, neglected to talk about the voice acting and seeing as The Walking Dead is a very dialogue heavy game, which might be seen as a strange choice. Is it so bad, is that why I've not mentioned anything about it? Quite the opposite, it's amazing. The entire cast throughout the series have been perfect with their line delivery, making scenes feel so realistic with their portrayal of the characters they're playing. In particular, Melissa Hutchison (Clementine), Dave Fennoy (Lee Everett) and Gavin Hammon (Kenny) have been simply outstanding. And in this final episode, No Time Left, Hutchinson and Fennoy are simply outstanding. Their portrayals of Clementine and Lee in this episode are spot on. They never miss a beat, delivering lines with the exact tone that fit the situation time after time and they only get better in No Time Left. It's in part because of them I've enjoyed this series so much; they've dragged me in with their voice work, making me more immersed in what's happening on the screen, making it more believable.

This reads like a love letter to a video game. So I'll be honest here; it is. I really don't see how I could've written this review any other way without having to reign myself in and making this a dull flat review. The Walking Dead has managed to get under my skin and into my top ten games of all time, maybe even top five. The writing, the characters, the dialogue, all of this has worked together to create some of the best, and yet most harrowing, moments I've ever had the pleasure and misfortune to experience in gaming. No Time Left is the final episode of this Walking Dead series and it doesn't disappoint. Telltale Games managed to deliver an incredibly well written and story driven game that tug your emotions around like a kitten playing with a ball of wool. I recommend The Walking Dead to anyone who even has a remote interest in The Walking Dead. or plot driven games. You'd be foolish not to snap this up ether now, or when it gets a retail release early next month.

What I need now is Hypno-Toad to force you to buy it. Seriously, go get this now. If not for me, do it for Clementine, one of the best child character ever written.

For notifications about future reviews, reviews being written, various other things or if you simply wish to fanboy over my work, visit my user group here.

Sassafrass:
Snip

.. .. .I ... . just completed playing The Walking Dead: No Time Left .. and-

Caramel Frappe:

Sassafrass:
Snip

Great review, Sass, of a fantastic game. I loved this series so I'm a little sad to see it end. But it did end so damn well. Lee is such a bad ass character, and many of the characters in this game were some of the best in the whole of gaming. I do wonder how they will begin to match it in the next series of games though, seem pretty hard to top this season.

I believe this is somehow appropriate:

Well.
I haven't played any of these.
But they sound amazing. So all I can say is...
STOPPIT. I've told you I don't have money to spend on these things!
Taunting me with games I didn't even have on my radar and makin em sound cool and stuff.
Another well written review, Sassy.
I think I'll just go console myself by trying to find a playthrough of these.

Lee's voice acting in particular was stellar throughout the series. It was the voice of a man who was totally bushed both physically and emotionally. Clementine was fantastic, too, but there was almost always that little voice in the back of my mind saying,"That's not a child's voice."

Neonbob:

The degree of emotional hammering won't be the same though.

Casual Shinji:

Neonbob:

The degree of emotional hammering won't be the same though.

Well, I've got a toddler that I have to keep up with, so that might not be such a bad deal :P

razer17:

Caramel Frappe:

Sassafrass:
Snip

Great review, Sass, of a fantastic game. I loved this series so I'm a little sad to see it end. But it did end so damn well. Lee is such a bad ass character, and many of the characters in this game were some of the best in the whole of gaming. I do wonder how they will begin to match it in the next series of games though, seem pretty hard to top this season.

I believe this is somehow appropriate:

That is very appropriate.
As for how they're gonna link to season 2,

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked