1997 Billboard Top 100: #90-86

Onwards and upwards.

#90: "One More Time" by Real McCoy

Who? *research* Ah, a Eurodance group. You know, because the last one was so good.

Music is very Eurobeat, but this time, in a good way, with a nice synth beat. The singing is also pretty standard Eurobeat stuff. Not that good, but not bad enough to distract.

The lyrics, like that of many Eurobeat songs, borders on the incomprehensible. From what I can tell, it is a woman telling a guy to take her out "one more time", because she wants to play him, or get played by him, or something.

This is one of the few songs that I can't actually understand what the lyrics are saying. That aside, the song is not too bad. The beat is very easy to dance to, and the singing is not that bad. It's not a great song, but it is fine for throwing on the stereo to get people dancing. I would have like more comprehensible lyrics, but at least the people here can actually speak good English, unlike the last Euro-adjective band.

#89: "Go The Distance" by Michael Bolton

I'm actually kind of surprised to see this on here. Disney songs do not usually chart. I mean, they are popular, but they usually don't get pop airtime, you know? Oh, and Michael Bolton is not as bad as many seem to think, to me.

Music is pretty good. The piano line is pretty nice, and it has a triumphant face. Singing is very Michael Bolton, for better or worse.

Lyrics are pretty good. Basically, the song is sung from the standpoint of someone who doesn't really belong anywhere, and how he is willing to "go the distance" to find somewhere he belongs.

I actually really like this song. Sure, Michael Bolton's style is a bit overwrought for this type of song, but the lyrics really connect with me. Who hasn't had that feeling that they just don't belong where they are in the world, and that they would do anything to find where they do belong? The music also really backs up Michael Bolton's style, being very bombastic. It all combines to make a song that belongs, in my opinion, fairly high up in the Disney songs category.

#88: "Someone" by SWV

Who? *research* Ah, an R&B female trio. Oh, and this song apparently features P. Diddy.

Music is not that good. It sounds like it is trying for a combination of rap and R&B, and it just doesn't really work. Just imagine Gorillaz mixed with Usher. P. Diddy does decently in his guest verse, but the main singer is actually pretty good.

When the lyrics aren't P. Diddy bragging about himself, they are a love song, with the singer singing about how they want someone to love. Pretty standard stuff.

This song would be really good, if P. Diddy weren't involved. He is a decent rapper, but he completely missed the point of the song, instead bragging about himself. As well, the hip-hop track mixed in just doesn't gel with the R&B beat. The SWV part works really well. The singer can sing really well, and the backing voices harmonize great as well. But I can't recommend this song unless you can find a version without P. Diddy. It's the same problem as Katy Perry's "E.T.", except moreso, because SWV actually have a lot of talent.

#87: "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" by Madonna

Repeat artist!

Again, this song is from Evita. Did she do that entire soundtrack or something? ...Actually, research shows that she practically did. Music is fairly nice, with a lot of string instruments. This song has the same issues vocally as the previous Madonna song, with her spending too much time trying to hit high notes.

As for the lyrics, they basically focus on a woman who runs around, doing her own thing and trying to find her happiness, only for her to realize that it was right where she was the entire time. Gag me with a freaking spoon.

I do not like this song as much as her other song. It has all the same issues as that one, but here, the lyrics are sickeningly sweet, and the music, while nice, is not as amazingly beautiful as her other song. This song is forgettable. It's not horrible, but it doesn't really have anything going for it.

#86: "You Should Be Mine (Don't Waste Your Time)" by Brian McKnight feat. Mase

I think that's the record for longest title of any song I've done for these lists. As for the artists, I know who Brian McKnight is, and research shows that Mase is a rapper. So, R&B with rap. That worked out great last time.

Beat is not that good. It is definitely focused on the Mase part of the equation, but with an annoying guitar riff. It sounds like the guitar is out of tune. Mase is also an extremely lazy rapper. Brian McKnight, thankfully sounds great.

Lyrics are also pretty good. Basically, the song is a guy telling a girl that if she is not happy being with a guy, and he's not treating her right, she should be with him instead, saying he will treat her how she deserves to be treated.

This is another example of a really good song dragged down by a rapper. The lyrics are pretty good, and he hits the balance between someone who is suggesting that she should leave her bad boyfriend for her, and acting like the "nice guy" who is passive-aggressive with it. Of course, that goes out the window when Mase shows up. He does not hit that balance, instead focusing more on tearing down the guy than actually trying to help the girl. He is also not a very good rapper, and the beat he brings with him sucks. This is an all right song that should be really good.

That was an annoying list. It should have been a lot better than it was. But Michael Bolton delivered, at least.

Previously: #95-91

Next: #85-81

Im still waiting to see people like The Corrs and Backstreet Boys and such on this list.. then you will be having TONS of fun :P

You'll be waiting a while. Corrs aren't on there, And BSB's aren't on there until number 11.

thebobmaster:
You'll be waiting a while. Corrs aren't on there

Like, not at all?

That's really disappointing. Really, really disappointing. They're awesome.

Marter:

thebobmaster:
You'll be waiting a while. Corrs aren't on there

Like, not at all?

Not this year. This was more the year of The Spice Girls, who have 3 songs on there. And I'm sure you can guess the highest charting one.

Marter:

They didn't really get going until the Dreams remix and that wasn't until 1998. Which is a shame, because Talk On Corners is still one of my top five albums.

Kinitawowi:

Marter:

They didn't really get going until the Dreams remix and that wasn't until 1998. Which is a shame, because Talk On Corners is still one of my top five albums.

Even then, they didn't have any top 100 songs in any of the 90s. I checked.

My favourite Corrs song oddly was one of their Earlier ones in the form of "Runaway" its just so sweet and lovely!

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked