1997 Billboard Top 100: #10-6

Almost done!

#10: "Wannabe" by The Spice Girls

Trifecta!

Music in this song is not all that great. It's a bit too repetitive for my tastes. Singing is about what you expect from the Spice Girls.

As for the lyrics, everyone has heard this song, I think. Basically, she is telling her lover what she wants from a man.

This is one of the few songs that I mostly don't care for just because of overplay. By itself, it is decent enough. It is catchy, and the singing is decent, while the lyrics aren't bad enough to distract. But I've heard this song so much that I'm just tired of it. I can't call it a bad song, though. It's just been heard by me too many times to really want to listen to it again.

#9: "How Do I Live" by LeAnn Rimes

I've heard this song quite a few times, but it was only recently that I discovered it was a soundtrack song, from the Nicolas Cage movie "Con Air". Well, the Trisha Yearwood version was. It was nominated for an Academy Award for "Best Original Song", but lost to Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On", a song I was surprised wasn't on the list.

Music isn't bad. It's slower, but it has a nice guitar line, which is used sparingly to focus on LeAnn Rimes's voice. To be fair, she has a really good singing voice, with a nice tone and evenness.

The lyrics are not quite as negative as the song title indicates. She is still with her lover, saying she is very reliant on him, and she doesn't know how she would live without him.

This song is overplayed. It is cheesy. I really like it. She just does such a good job singing it, putting a lot of emotion into it. The best love songs are the ones that just focus on getting the basics right. Nice music, emotional singing, and lyrics that communicate the strength of love. This song succeeds on all counts.

#8: "Return of the Mack" by Mark Morrison

Who? *research* Ah, an R&B singer. He was the first black male solo artist to get a number one hit in England in the 90s with this song.

Beat isn't too bad. It has a faster pace than many R&B songs, with a nice piano line. The singing isn't really my thing. He has a higher pitched voice, but it isn't a natural-sounding higher voice.

As for the lyrics, this is basically a "comeback" song. The singer is returning to his singing career, despite the efforts of a mysterious person to end his career.

Can you really be making a song about your return when this is your first hit? Well, outside of that, I still don't really care much for this song. It's not bad, but it isn't really that good, either. The lyrics are pointless, and his singing voice just isn't my thing. I prefer the singing from the backing vocals, not a good sign. It's all right, but not my thing.

#7: "Don't Let Go (Love)" by En Vogue

Who? *research* Ah, a female R&B group. Those were popular this year. Oh, and this is another soundtrack song, from the movie "Set It Off".

Music is all right. That piano line is a bit clumsy for me, but it has a nice guitar line. The singing is very 90s, not really standing out from other female R&B groups.

Ah, this song. Basically, the singer is convincing one of her male friends that they are ready to take the next step in their relationship, despite his nervousness about doing so.

This song is not bad. The singer does a nice job getting her emotion through the song, and the focus of the lyrics is fairly unique. You don't here a ton of songs about convincing someone to be more than friends. Overall, though, the song just doesn't sound that much different than other R&B songs from this year. Pretty catchy, though.

#6: "I Believe I Can Fly" by R. Kelly

Yes, the one song everyone knows from him. Although it's questionable how many people realize this song was from "Space Jam".

Music is fairly slow and gentle, but not in a bad way. As for the singing, this is probably R. Kelly's strongest vocal performance. His voice is even throughout the song, and he knows when and how to hit the big notes.

This is an inspirational song. Basically, if you believe it is possible, than you can do anything! Thumbs up and cheesy smile optional.

Yeah, this song is a big generic in the lyrics, and nothing you haven't heard in a bunch of other songs. However, the entire package works quite well. As I said, the music is pretty good, but the strength of the song is really R. Kelly's performance. It's not really a song to hunt down, but as far as inspirational songs go, this is definitely a really good one. It also avoids the pitfall of other slower songs, by having an actual build-up and climax, not just keeping the same tone the whole song, which makes songs feel a bit boring. Also, that last big note is one for the books. Very nicely done.

Well, that list was pretty good, for the most part. But what songs could possibly have been bigger this year than "I Believe I Can Fly"?

Previously: #15-11

Next: #5-1

How do i live.. is such an unhealthy love song.. its like HOW DO I LIVE WITHOUT YOU! ... its like.. well.. very easily lets hope! hahaha.. As for wannabe.. it probably tops peoples most annoying songs of the 90's lists just to it now irritating the sheer crap outta people these days! .. btw was 1997 the year Princess Diana died?.. if it is.. then im not suprised about candle in the wind.

Yes, that is correct. In fact, the redo of Candle in the Wind was done specifically as a response to Princess Di's death.

thebobmaster:
I've heard this song quite a few times, but it was only recently that I discovered it was a soundtrack song, from the Nicolas Cage movie "Con Air". Well, the Trisha Yearwood version was. It was nominated for an Academy Award for "Best Original Song", but lost to Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On", a song I was surprised wasn't on the list.

That's because My Heart Will Go On didn't end up on the year-end chart until 1998.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked