2012 Billboard Top 100: #95-91

Onward!

#95: "Hard to Love" by Lee Brice

Who? *research* Ah, a country singer.

Music is not bad. It's a slower country song, with a nice catchy guitar riff. Singing is also not bad. Lee Brice has a higher pitched singing voice, but it doesn't sound too stereotypical.

Lyrics wise, this song is almost exactly what it says it is. He is admitting that he is not an easy person to love, and that he is glad that his girl can manage to love him.

This song is kind of stereotypical in sound, but I quite like the lyrics. It's not many artists that admit their flaws. He is not only admitting those flaws, but saying he doesn't think he deserves a girl as good as he has. It's just a sweet love song, no two ways about it. More songs like this should be made.

#94: "Diamonds" by Rihanna

Ah, knew Rihanna would show up.

Music is what you expect out of Rihanna. Slower beat, with a nice piano line. Singing is, again, very Rihanna.

Lyrics are that of a love song. Basically, she is comparing herself and her lover to diamonds in the sky, saying they are beautiful, and shine bright like a diamond.

I don't know what it is exactly, but this song doesn't really do anything for me. It is nice to hear Rihanna do an honest normal love song, but it just sounds generic to me. The music and singing is no different than Rihanna normally does, and the lyrics are just so standard love song stuff. They are beautiful together? You don't say! Also, that constant repetition of "shine bright like a diamond" gets old rather quickly.

#93: "I Don't Want This Night To End" by Luke Bryan

I know who he is. He's actually not bad. Although "Rain Is A Good Thing" is quite corny, it is corny in a good way.

Ah, this song. The music isn't bad. That piano is nicer than you usually hear in country. Luke Bryan's strong suit has never been a unique singing voice. It's not bad, but he sounds so much like Toby Keith, it's ridiculous.

As for the lyrics, he is basically singing about being in his truck driving down the road with his girl, and how much he enjoys the experience, not wanting the night to end.

Much like "Rain Is A Good Thing", this song is cheesy. It also seems to promote careless driving, saying he doesn't even know where they are, because he's been staring at his girl. Even with all that, though, I can't dislike this song. Luke Bryan just seems so earnest with everything he says, and he does get the emotions across well. It's shallow fun, but fun nonetheless.

#92: "Cashin' Out" by Ca$h Out

Who? *research* Ah, a rapper from Atlanta. I have to be honest, I'm expecting this song to suck.

Music's not bad. Has a nice catchy keyboard riff. The rapping, though, is generic. It's not Soulja Boi bad, it's not Busta Rhymes good.

This is a bragging song. Basically, he is bragging about being rich and being able to get any girl he wants by showing off his bling.

I said I expected this song to suck. It does. The lyrics are the most important part of any rap song, and here, they just suck. He is bragging about being able to buy women anything they want so that they'll be all over him. Whoop-de-doo. At least brag about something that isn't true for, say, every musical artist ever. Also, when your first hit is a song that is you bragging about how awesome you are, you get the title of "douchebag", in my book.

#91: "It's Time" by Imagine Dragons

Who? *research* Ah, an indie band. Sweet!

Music is definitely unique. Has a bit of a Japanese sound to it, with the guitar. Singing is unique, but it is only all right to me. He has a habit of sliding his voice around on scales pointlessly.

This is a love song. Like many indie songs, the lyrics are faux-philosophical, but that's pretty much what it comes down to. The only part that is really clear, though, is that he is admitting that he's not perfect, but he isn't going to change who he is. She can take him or leave him.

This song is very stereotypically indie, despite the unique music. Singer sounds very indie, and the lyrics are trying so hard to be "deep, man" that it just ends up sounding pretentious. If that is your thing, then you'll really enjoy this song. For me, it was an all right listen, but it doesn't make me want to track down their other songs.

Well, that set was...all right, other than "Cashin' Out".

Previously: #100-96

Next: #90-86

Diamonds is such a popular song.. i never really got into it, as for the rest.. nothing that fusses me except Luke Bryan he had some good songs in 2012.. Drunk on You is up there as one of my faves!

I can't stand that Imagine Dragons song. They play it on the radio at least 6 times a day. I'm sick of always turning my car on and that song is on. I find Diamonds to be an average Rihanna song. As for the rest of the songs, I haven't heard them.

Kenbo Slice:
I can't stand that Imagine Dragons song. They play it on the radio at least 6 times a day. I'm sick of always turning my car on and that song is on. I find Diamonds to be an average Rihanna song. As for the rest of the songs, I haven't heard them.

Glee did an even WORSE version of the Imagine Dragons too.. which turns me off it even worse! :D

Kenbo Slice:

I'd go nuts. Keep in mind, unless I've heard the song before, which I'll make a note of if I did, I'm reviewing the songs completely off of my first impression. Even then, I only thought the song was all right. Hearing it over and over...not fun.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked