2012 Billboard Top 100: #90-86

Not looking forward to this set.

#90: "We Run The Night" by Havana Brown feat. Pitbull

Who is Havana Brown? *research* Ah, an Australian DJ. I am, most unfortunately, familiar with Pitbull.

Music is as I expected from Pitbull. It is annoying, and very synth driven. Havana Brown is all right, albeit very auto-tuned. As for Pitbull...this is one of his better performances, but that isn't saying much.

The lyrics are standard party stuff. They make no sense, outside of sounding like something a drunk person would say. "Be funny as we run the night"?

This is better than I was expecting from a Pitbull song, but it still isn't that good. The music is quite annoying, and neither Havana Brown nor Pitbull properly pull their weight. There are worse party songs, and definitely worse Pitbull songs, but that doesn't mean this song is good.

#89: "You Da One" by Rihanna

Hopefully, this is better than Diamonds.

Music is not that great here. It is more guitar driven than is usually for Rihanna, but it makes it sound more like a Nicki Minaj song. As for the singing, Rihanna is not on form here.

This is another Rihanna love song, saying he is the one, and that her love is his.

Diamonds was unimpressive. This song is just annoying. The music isn't that great, Rihanna's singing is not as good as usual, but the main issue is her singing style. She keeps doing that "stuttering a letter" thing. You know, like "You are the one, so I make sure I beha-a-a-ave." That sort of thing. She does that in almost every other line, and it is highly distracting. Rihanna needs to stick to her own style, because she is not doing good otherwise.

#88: "Take A Little Ride" by Jason Aldean

Please be at least a decent song.

Music is pretty good at least. Nice upbeat guitar, with a lot of electric. Singing is fairly generic, but that's Jason Aldean for you.

As for the lyrics, he is basically hitting on a girl in the way only a country singer can, saying he wants to "take a little ride" with her.

This song is not great, but it is listenable. The lyrics are the main issue. If this weren't a country song, he would sound like Ted Bundy. I mean, "slide your pretty self on over"? Calling her "a sweet little thang"? There are some slightly disturbing undertones, despite the upbeat country tone, but even then, there isn't really anything horrible about this song. It's just all right.

#87: "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perri

Ah, Christina Perri. Singer of 2011's interminably dull, yet somehow successful, "Jar of Hearts".

Music is not very reassuring. It is slow piano, much like "Jar of Hearts", but with a slow acoustic guitar. Singing is again quite similar to "Jar of Hearts", but she does at least have some life in her voice this time.

This is a love song, saying she has loved the guy for the title amount of time.

I don't know how she does it, but she manages to make her love song sound exactly like her anti-love song from last year. The music never really kicks it up, but her singing is the real death of this song. I'm not saying she is a bad singer, but she has very little life in her voice. "Jar of Hearts" was worse about it, but this song is still about as exciting as the average Peter Cetera song. And no, that is not a good thing.

#86: "5 O' Clock" by T-Pain feat. Wiz Khalifa and Lily Allen

T-Pain and Wiz Khalifa in one song? Fuck me...

Well, the music isn't bad, because it is sample from a Lily Allen song. Same with her singing, actually. But then T-Pain does his thing, and ruins it. Wiz Khalifa...doesn't help, because he sucks

As for the lyrics, T-Pain manages to epically miss the point of Lily Allen's song. She is singing about waiting up until 5 o' clock for her man. He is singing about how annoying it is being called at 5 o' clock when he's hitting on girls at the club.

I have not seen a song miss the point of the song it was sampling so badly since "Watcha Say" by Jason Derulo. T-Pain does occasionally sing the same part as Lily Allen, but it sounds really insincere crossed with his lines about being called by her when he's out clubbing. Is this a good song? Well, there are worse songs by both Wiz Khalifa and T-Pain. But this song is still bad, and Lily Allen does not deserve being paired with these two.

One decent song out of 5. Next!

Previously: #95-91

Next: #85-81

POINTLESS 5! ... Red Solo Cup is SUCH a stupid song........ i can just tell this list is going south fast! and yea we all know Christina Perri is only popular due to Twilight.

OHH man, 50 ways to say goodbye. This song's lyrics bother me, and when you listen to it you will see why.

You poor guy, you are not gonna find anything above mediocre wading through the Billboard charts. Make sure to bring your music survival kit and godspeed! *salutes*

thebobmaster:

Music is not that great here. It is more guitar driven than is usually for Rihanna

Dude I can't hear any guitar whatsoever. There's a really slow plodding bass guitar and synths? Or does the guitar come in later (I refuse to listen to the whole thing on principle)

Every decade has at least 1 skanky diva I can't stand, & right now it's Rihanna.

someonehairy-ish:

thebobmaster:

Music is not that great here. It is more guitar driven than is usually for Rihanna

Dude I can't hear any guitar whatsoever. There's a really slow plodding bass guitar and synths? Or does the guitar come in later (I refuse to listen to the whole thing on principle)

Comes in later. Not really worth listening to the whole song, though.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked