2012 Billboard Top 100: #50-46

Here we go! Top 50!

#50: "Without You" by David Guetta feat. Usher

I am aware of both of these. Usher is a repeat artist, and David Guetta is a producer who insists on putting his name first on anything he does, despite not actually being an artist. Oh, and this is actually a re-review, since the original was in the Top 100 of 2011, actually charting better this year.

Music is as I expect from David Guetta. Repetitive and obnoxious. Usher is actually on form here, his voice quite strong.

Lyrics are about what you'd expect from the title. Basically, he is telling a girl how much he needs her, saying he can't do anything without her.

This is a perfect case of a song that is killed by the production. Lyrics are a bit overly dependent, but Usher does a great job of showing emotion while keeping his voice strong. However, David Guetta kills this song completely. The music during the verses are repetitive and obnoxious, while the music during the chorus is not only repetitive and obnoxious, but so loud it overpowers Usher. It's a shame, because with a producer who actually knows what they are doing, this song would probably be really good.

#49: "Home" by Phillip Phillips

In case you are unaware, this is the season 11 winner of American Idol. I thought he was a fairly weak singer on the show, but I discovered after the fact that he had 8(!) kidney stones while on the show, which could definitely have messed with his voice. And the fact that his first single got in the Hot 100 of the year is a good sign.

Music is very folksy, with a simple acoustic guitar line, with a bass, drums, and keyboards joining in later. As for the singing, my theory was correct. He is a better singer here, with a somewhat Dave Matthewsesque voice.

As for the lyrics, it's basically a love song. Essentially, he has apparently just had his girlfriend move in with him, and is reassuring her, telling her that he will make this place her home.

I'm actually kind of surprised how much I like this song, actually. It's fairly simple, but the lyrics are somewhat unique as far as love songs go, and complement his voice quite well. If you had asked me back in June, I would not have said he had much of a career, but I can see him making it pretty far. Maybe not Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood far, but still pretty far. Now, where's my Colton Dixon single?

#48: "International Love" by Pitbull feat. Chris Brown

...Mommy.

Music is very annoying. It is basically a repetitive synth line throughout the whole song. Pitbull is about as good here as he has been this year, so not too bad. Chris Brown is exactly what you expect from him.

As for the lyrics...look at the title. This is a song about banging girls all over the world.

This song is not as bad as I thought, but it is still pretty bad. I mean, Chris Brown's singing and Pitbull's rapping aren't bad, and they do complement each other well. However, here is a sample of the lyrics: "I don't play football, but I've touched down everywhere." I do have to hand it to Chris Brown. He actually sounds genuine while bragging about being a player. Overall, not without good qualities, but overridden by the bad stuff.

#47: "Gagnam Style" by PSY

...I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I am reviewing a K-Pop song. In the year-end Hot 100. And it made the top half.

Music is surprisingly catchy, in that obnoxious "GET OUT OF MY HEAD!" way. As for the singing, it's not bad for K-Pop, but that doesn't make it good.

Luckily, I managed to find some translated lyrics, so I know what this song is about. Basically, it is a "hit-on" song, with the singer telling a girl he is "Gagnam Style". For those not in the know, Gagnam is basically the Beverly Hills of Seoul, South Korea, if Beverly Hills was full of hipsters. In other words, Beverly Hills crossed with San Antonio, Texas.

The lyrics are stupid, for the most part, and can be summarized as "I like girls who can act nice and know when to let loose". The singing is not all that great. The music is a bit obnoxious. I really enjoy listening to it. I don't know what it is about the song, but it's just fun to listen to. I can't imagine anyone taking this song seriously, and as long as you don't, you'll have a blast listening to it.

#46: "Domino" by Jessie J

Hello again, Miss J. Last year, she had a hit with "Price Tag", a song that in retrospect mostly worked because B.o.B. is awesome.

The music is a bit annoying, but is somehow catchy at the same time. It's a basic guitar line, but that isn't always bad. As for the singing, it is clear that Jessie J is the British Katy Perry.

The lyrics are basically asking the guy to...have relations with her, telling him to take her down like a domino.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Jessie J is no Katy Perry. See, Katy Perry not only has some talent, but she knows how to properly write shallow songs. Jessie J just doesn't. It's not bad to listen too, but if you hear any of the lyrics clearly, you just end up confused. "Wait...take me down like a domino?" Also, Katy Perry's singing has gotten better. Jessie J's...has not. Not a horrible song, but if I want to hear Katy Perry...I'll listen to some goddamn Katy Perry.

Well, that list was mostly good. Yay for guilty pleasures.

Previously: #55-52

Next: #45-41

Not a terrible 5... with at least some listenable songs on it... and unlike you i actually cant stand Phillip Phillips... and the rest are ok songs.. which are at least catchy and stick in my head but hey each to their own!

I can't wait for you to hear Rack City and Scream:-P

FFP2:
I can't wait for you to hear Rack City and Scream:-P

im sure his head will explode since they are both atrocious songs :P haha

Powereaver:

im sure his head will explode since they are both atrocious songs :P haha

Imagine if he actually liked those songs...

THE HORROR!

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked