2012 Billboard Top 100: #40-36

Top 40!

#40: "Ni**as in Paris" by Jay-Z and Kanye West

Well...Jay-Z's good.

Music is somewhat unique as far as hip-hop goes. It has the standard drum beat of a hip-hop song, but there is a keyboard line laid over it. As for the rapping, Jay-Z still has it. Kanye West...does not.

This is a standard hip-hop song by lyrics, for Jay-Z. Basically, he is bragging about how awesome he is. Kanye West...is bragging about how he can treat women like crap, and they'll still be all over him. Well, he's a charmer.

This is a fairly standard hip-hop song for Jay-Z. It's not great, but he knows how to rap, and is worth a shallow listen. Kanye West ruins even that. His lyrics...look at what he sings about. I'm sorry, but no rapper should be allowed to get away with rapping about how badly they treat women, unless they are intentionally trying to play an asshole like Eminem. Here, Kanye just seems like a Chris Brown level douche. But then, Kanye always sucks at guest verses.

#39: "Give Your Heart A Break" by Demi Lovato

Meh. Not a huge fan, but she is better than the average Disney star.

Music is mostly a repetitive string line, although drums do kick in about 30 seconds in. Demi Lovato is not great, but I'll take her over Selena Gomez or Miley Cyrus any day.

As for the lyrics, she is basically singing to her boyfriend, telling him that he doesn't need to spend time being sad, because life is too short, encouraging him to give her a chance.

This is one of the better Disney stars I've heard. It's not all that deep, and the chorus is pretty repetitive. However, the music is pretty catchy, and her singing matches the tone of the lyrics pretty well. I'm not sure I'd listen again, but it was a better listen than the last song.

#38: "Good Time" by Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen

Honestly, I expected this song to be higher than it was. Oh, and despite the name, Owl City is not a band, but a musical project by multi-instrumentalist Adam Young.

Music is basically what I expected from Owl City. It's not bad, but it is quite reminiscent of "Fireflies". Adam Young is a decent singer, as is Carly Rae. Not much beyond decent, but still.

As for the lyrics, this is a song about hanging out with someone, saying that it is always a good time with them.

This is not a song to really dissect. It is not a song to be analyzed. You just throw it on to play as background music. Nothing more and nothing less. However, it is still a decent song for that purpose. It is pretty catchy, and it doesn't really do anything wrong. It's just not anything more than a "good time".

#37: "Blow Me (One Last Kiss)" by Pink

Surprised she is still having hits, actually.

Music is about as I expected from Pink. The music is mostly piano, but with a guitar and drum underlay. Her singing is standard Pink. Slower verse, angry chorus.

The lyrics are basically saying that she is done with her boyfriend, saying that she is too serious to put up with his party ways.

This isn't a bad song, but other than the lyrics, it just sounds like Pink is phoning it in. The lyrics are the only unique part. The rest just sounds like every other Pink song. It's all right, but I'd like to see stuff like "Family Portrait" again.

#36: "Moves Like Jagger" by Maroon 5 feat. Christina Aguilera

Repeat artist!

I don't really care too much for the music, as it just sounds like other Maroon 5 songs, but with a whistler playing over it. Still catchy, though. Singing is very Maroon 5. If you've heard any Maroon 5 song, you know that Adam Levine does not have a ton of range.

The lyrics are basically hitting on a girl, bragging about having the "moves like Jagger", which is up there with "the acting of Keanu Reeves" in being a compliment. Works on Christina, though, because she says that he'll "have to keep this", that she wants to "share her secret", and "no one else can see this". Tell me that she is not flashing him using lines like that.

This song is...not bad. It's catchy, and has a nice beat. Beyond that, though, it just doesn't really stand out. Mick Jagger is known for many things, but being a good dancer is not one of them. Although maybe the Mars Bar incident would be hard to put into a radio-friendly song. Besides, Adam's selling himself short. He's much better looking than Mick Jagger. Focus on that.

Well, that was a bleh entry into the top 40. What's next?

Previously: #45-41

Next: #35-31

SHIT CRAY.

That meme is still funny to me. That lyric is just so fucking stupid, coupled with the fact people legitimately think that it's cool.

Anyway, excited for 'As Long As You Love Me'.

haha if youre excited for Bieber.. thats a bad thing.. but ive always been an Owl City fan so Good Time was up my alley, Blow Me is an average Pink song but it is catchy ill give you that as for the other 3... myeh nothing special!

Wait, a Taylor Swift song that isn't in the top 10?!

Also is it a "Niggas In Paris" remix? Ye was in the original, not CB

FFP2:

Must be a remix, then, because the one that charted had Chris Brown.

Full:
SHIT CRAY.

That meme is still funny to me. That lyric is just so fucking stupid, coupled with the fact people legitimately think that it's cool.

There's an arrogant guy in our uni halls who says that completely un-ironically all the time, like everyone will think he's a huge badass...

OT: Why are you still doing this to yourself OP? Everyone with any understanding of music whatsoever abandoned charts back when good musicianship in them stopped being a thing. It's a wasteland full of sugary tween crap and rappers who stopped giving a shit about saying anything intelligent a long time ago, if they ever did.

It's a shame about Maroon 5. They used to be alright...

thebobmaster:

FFP2:

You sure about that? That's the official Billboard site, and it definitely has Ye on that list.

I'm a bit of a chart-watcher, and I've certainly never heard the remix with Chris Brown... [shudder]

The video you posted was of Jay and Ye anyways, so we'll chalk this one up to an epic gaffe.

lacktheknack:

thebobmaster:

FFP2:

You sure about that? That's the official Billboard site, and it definitely has Ye on that list.

I'm a bit of a chart-watcher, and I've certainly never heard the remix with Chris Brown... [shudder]

The video you posted was of Jay and Ye anyways, so we'll chalk this one up to an epic gaffe.

Ah. It wasn't Chris Brown. It was Kanye West. That was my bad. I'll edit the review to show that.

#40: "Ni**as in Paris" by Jay-Z and Kanye West:
Jay-Z being more then a little stale, and Kanye being erratic and barely listenable, and definitively annoying. Msotly as expected. I was kind of saddened it wasn't Ninjas in Paris, which would've brought some novelty at the least.

#39: "Give Your Heart A Break" by Demi Lovato:
The most I can say for this one is the chorus isn't a series of beeps like that other song of hers. Still annoyingly repetitive.

#38: "Good Time" by Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen:
It took a lot of listens to even notice CRJ's part in the song, (How to not use a guest singer 101 : Auto-tuning them into indistinguishableness). Adam sounds like he's half asleep, as is his norm, but unlike fireflies which was a lullaby-esque bit, this is supposed to be a party song. If they hadn't gotten one-upped by will.iam and (allegedly) Britney, I'd have called this the deadest party song of the year.

#37: "Blow Me (One Last Kiss)" by Pink:
P!nk's still whining about her boyfriends, yawn. You'd think in 14 years of songwriting you'd get off "I hate my boyfriend, I"m getting durnk, I hate being drunk" as your song selections. The instrumentation on this is a noisy over-produced mess, and what is with pop songs yanking out of Modest Mouse lately.

#36: "Moves Like Jagger" by Maroon 5 feat. Christina Aguilera:
For a demonstration of what having the "Moves like Jagger" entails, see "Dancing in the Streets" on youtube. Then figure out why they think this is a good thing. In your spare time try and decipher what the rest of Maroon 5 behind Levine actually contributes to their music nowadays, since they've managed to drop both their early on funk leanings, and even their rock at this point. I'm also blaming this one for inspiring that Whistle song.

Seth Carter:
#40: "Ni**as in Paris" by Jay-Z and Kanye West:
Jay-Z being more then a little stale, and Kanye being erratic and barely listenable, and definitively annoying. Msotly as expected. I was kind of saddened it wasn't Ninjas in Paris, which would've brought some novelty at the least.

Ninjas in Paris was Katy Perry's cover.

You've been ninja'd in the absolute worst way.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked