Drunk talks DmC: Devil May Cry (PC)

This is a line that comes up in a lot of reviews...but I'm not here to mention hair colors or angst-y attitudes. That said, I'll discuss with the hypothetical wall about DmC on the PC.

To open quite frankly, this is a great PC port and certainly the best way to experience this game. The lengthy white screen loading times barely flash by. The game feels unbelievably fluid at 60 FPS, though obviously this isn't a seller to everyone. The options PC gamers expect are present, including post-process AA (this is UE3 after all), higher quality textures and shadows, Vsync, and presets from "low" to "ultra".

Although it's not my preference, the game is very playable with keyboard and mouse. With a gamepad plugged in, the controls and contextual buttons flip instantly between the two inputs with a simple button press or flick of the mouse. It is obviously an ongoing point of contention amongst gamers, but I personally find the gameplay to be incredibly fluid, and it's quite a pleasure chaining combos. Yes, it's easier than it should be to obtain SSS, but this is going to be a subjective issue and a positive for those who found older DMC titles somewhat impenetrable.

Visually, this may be the best I've ever seen a UE3 engine game look. It's nice to have higher quality textures "out of the box", and the care put into this port bleeds through every level. The usage of the entire color palette is a nice contrast to the often hated obsession with brown and grey in recent years, as well. The game is technically solid, with virtually no issues with the camera, input delay, or other issues found in lower-budget titles. Whether or not you personally feel this is a "real" DMC game, it is of AAA quality and doesn't technically perform as a second-best, especially running at 60 FPS.

The level designs are a joy to traverse, with plenty of hidden items and collectibles to encourage multiple playthroughs. The game has a stronger emphasis on platforming compared to the older titles, fortunately with stronger jumping and traversal mechanics to facilitate this.

Speaking 100% subjectively, the value of this game depends on how important the story is to you. I enjoyed chaining combos, juggling enemies all over the place, and traversing platforms through beautiful levels that behave as enemies in their own right. This was despite the action being broken up by vapid cutscenes that exited my brain as quickly as they entered. If you are a Devil May Cry diehard, well...you probably already played and enjoyed Bayonetta. If you already all-platinum'd and 100% that game, and don't have a Wii U to anticipate the sequel, this is a technically tight, albeit easier and faster way to scratch that itch. Just don't expect your worries about new Dante to be proven wrong.

Technical Info:

Held solid 60 FPS on all ultra-jacked with:

AMD Triple-Core 3.2 Ghz
8 GB DDR3 Ram
Nvidia GTX 465

DrunkOnEstus:
Snip

Awesome. I was wondering if this would be a good port or not and you've answered it for me.

ShinyCharizard:

DrunkOnEstus:
Snip

Awesome. I was wondering if this would be a good port or not and you've answered it for me.

I'm glad I could help! I was surprised by the quality of the port (though discovering that this was the team responsible for Street Fighter IV PC made it less surprising). I figured I would review the things PC gamers wanted to know, as the meat of the game itself has been pretty well covered. Thank you for letting me know I helped you out : )

Got this game today. Fucking loving it. Nice job on this Capcom, you deserve money and hugs

Uh oh. Be prepared for fanboy attack. GET TO THAT BUNKER!

Also, I thought all versions were locked at 30?

saintdane05:
Uh oh. Be prepared for fanboy attack. GET TO THAT BUNKER!

Also, I thought all versions were locked at 30?

I guess you could say I'm one of them, though I don't have a dog in this fight. I follow Team Little Devils, not the letters "DMC". The game is solid and fun though, and the levels really do look fantastic. If you mean "console vs. PC", well numbers are numbers. Loading times are shorter in seconds, the FPS runs higher, the textures and shadows are a higher resolution/fidelity, and you can control the game however and whenever you like. You could actually hold one hand on the controller and use the mouse with the other if you'd like. If your PC can run UE3 games this is undoubtedly, without argument the way to play this game.

Oh, and the 360 and PS3 versions are capped at 30, but the PC can do whatever you can push it to. I have a 60hz monitor with Vsync on, so I ran the game at 60 for the review.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked