2012 Billboard Top 100: #15-11

Almost in the top 10!

#15: "Wide Awake" by Katy Perry

Trifecta!

Music is not bad, for Katy Perry. Repetitive piano line, but at least it is piano. Don't care much for the drums, though. As for the singing, she is not bad here, showing that her voice has definitely improved since 2009.

This is basically a post-breakup song, where she is celebrating being free from a bad relationship, describing it as waking up from a dream and getting on with your real life.

This song is not as good as "The One That Got Away", but it is still quite good by Katy Perry standards. She shows a pretty solid voice, and the lyrics are a bit more honest than, say, most of Kelly Clarkson's songs. After all, she does describe her relationship as being like a dream, which means it wasn't bad when she was in it. She just had to move on past it. Katy Perry was actually pretty good this year. It's kind of funny that as soon as she started writing songs that were actually a bit more substantial than her party songs, she stopped making Todd's Top 10 lists. I mean, this song is definitely better than "California Gurls", which made #2 on his top 10 of 2010.

#14: "Some Nights" by fun.

Indie rock! Yeah, these guys definitely took notes from Queen, giving them a unique sound.

Hmm, opening with a harmony, then adding in a piano line? Where have I heard that before? Oh, yeah, Queen. Despite my seemingly knocking them for being unoriginal, the music is very good. You don't hear enough people trying to just go for broke, with snare drums to simulate a war. As for the vocals, the singer definitely has a unique voice. He is not as strong as Freddie Mercury, but he still shows the same total abandon that the instruments demonstrate. Playing it safe was not in the cards for this song.

As for the lyrics, as far as I can tell, this is basically the crisis of most 20-somethings, who feel at odds in their life, not sure if they are moving in the right direction, but being determined to make it work.

Yeah, this song is just all kinds of awesome. The lyrics are a bit inconsequential, but the vocals and instruments are bombastic. Todd in the Shadows compared this song to "Bohemian Rhapsody". Honestly, I'd kind of have to agree. You don't listen to this song for the lyrics. You listen to it for the instruments and vocalist just going all-out in making an epic-sounding song. The fact that this was their first single and they were already taking a risk like that tells me that this band needs to be around for a while. They want to be the next Queen, and frankly, someone should be.

#13: "Sexy And I Know It" by LMFAO

Re-review, repeat artist, and fuck America for letting this song chart higher this year than last year.

Music is instantly recognizable, unfortunately. Basically, it is a very repetitive synth line that just never stops, with an occasional drum line that tries valiantly to save the beat without success. The singing is LMFAO, enough said.

As for the lyrics, this is basically Right Said Fred's "I'm Too Sexy" without any sense of how to be funny. There are occasionally lines that get a chuckle, such as "I've got no shoes, no shirt, and I still get service. OH!" Overall, though, it is not very humorous.

This song sucks the big one, Elizabeth! The instruments are annoying as hell, the singing is just not there, and the attempts at humour, for the most part, fall flat. It's not "Birthday Cake" bad, but the few funny lines in the song are not worth listening to the crap before, after, and between them. Also, as I said in my last review: Speedo+"bulge"+floppage=MY EYES!

#12: "Set Fire to the Rain" by Adele

Fourth song for Adele on this list. Yeesh.

Music is about what you expect from Adele. A slow piano line. There are other instruments, but the piano is the main one. The singing is, again, very much like you'd expect from Adele.

The lyrics are, say it with me, about what you expect from Adele. She is tearing down her ex for playing games, and she is saying that she is finally over him, describing it as setting "fire to the rain" and watching it pour down his face. Well, I hope that was just a metaphor.

This is not exactly a bad song, but it is clear to me that Adele is not that great of an artist. She is quite good in her style, but she doesn't seem to have any interest in breaking out of that style. The singing, the lyrics, the music, everything is just like all of her other songs. Her "Skyfall" theme was nice, but she needs to show more sides to her, or she'll fade away like many an artist. I hope. Then again, Rihanna and Beyonce get away with writing the same song over and over and making hits, so why shouldn't an artist with more talent?

#11: "Wild Ones" by Flo Rida feat. Sia

Flo Rida had three hits this year. I feel sick.

Well, music opens up with a nice piano line, that's a nice surprise. Even when the Flo Rida elements kick in, it isn't enough to totally destroy the music. Flo Rida has as little personality as always, but Sia does a great job with the chorus.

This is another club song, essentially. Sia is describing Flo Rida as a wild one, saying she wants to shut down the club with him. He, on the other hand, is just rapping about how fun clubbing is. You expected something better?

Flo Rida sucks, but this song only half-sucks. The lyrics are about as crappy as the average Flo Rida song, and so is the music and rapping on Flo Rida's part. However, Sia single-handedly saves this song from the crap list. Her singing is spot on, and the music she brings with her is really good. If this was a Sia song feat. Flo Rida, it would be great. As it is, it is merely not horrible.

That list wasn't bad. I've had one list that was brought down by a terrible song before, that song being "Birthday Cake". This list was saved by a song in "Some Nights". That song is great, and everyone should listen to it.

Previously: #20-16

Next: #10-6

Hahah you got TOLD by the captcha! :D but yea i dont like the look of that next 5 and only really Some Nights i liked off this 5 ... which is weird because Fun. doesnt usually tickle my fancy AT ALL ... We Found Love i only enjoyed because of Glee when they did it.. i found the original terribad :P

thebobmaster:
It's kind of funny that as soon as she started writing songs that were actually a bit more substantial than her party songs, she stopped making Todd's Top 10 lists. I mean, this song is definitely better than "California Gurls", which made #2 on his top 10 of 2010.

He DID apologize for that... many, many times...

Good list here, good reviewing style, etc. I like these segments.

And while there's no consolation for One Direction, at least "Starships" is the best song Nicki Minaj has ever put out. And if you disagree, I WILL FIGHT YOU. RAAAAAAAAAAEG

lacktheknack:

thebobmaster:
It's kind of funny that as soon as she started writing songs that were actually a bit more substantial than her party songs, she stopped making Todd's Top 10 lists. I mean, this song is definitely better than "California Gurls", which made #2 on his top 10 of 2010.

He DID apologize for that... many, many times...

Good list here, good reviewing style, etc. I like these segments.

I know he did. But to quote Jesu Otaku, "Todd, you apologized fifteen times for putting "California Gurls" on your list. ...Fifteen times isn't enough."

And thanks for the compliment. It's kind of surprising even to me how much my review style has improved and changed since my very first list. Course, I've reviewed nearly 500 songs now, so that is to be expected.

#15: "Wide Awake" by Katy Perry

I keep trying to repress the fact I accidentally stumbled into hearing Katy Perry live at Muchmusic while passing by. That alone is traumatic enough that addressing her songs is like reliving a nightmare. Naturally, she sings "I"m Wide Awake" like she's half-asleep, cause logic. Sure its a metaphor, but come on. Also, piano ballads are so far off her working style its not even funny.

#14: "Some Nights" by fun.

To be fair, I don't think Queen ever really got those rocking drums going. Of course, the song comes dangeorusly close to lawsuit territory to "Cecilia" by Simon & Garfunkel. Its still pretty great and all, even if what they're saying is practically irrelevant to how they're saying it. (The video certainly tries to make it seem like a soldier at war, but more then a few of the lyrics don't seem to land in that area.

#13: "Sexy And I Know It" by LMFAO

Just bugger off already. Psy does your schtick better then you clowns. Possibly cause he seems self-aware, or maybe the fact he actually has a career as some level of artist, and didn't snag his record deals off his uncle.

#12: "Set Fire to the Rain" by Adele

I'm still flabbergasted at how people bring up Adele as a fresh new sound. We had this back circa 2000 in bloody droves (including the aforementioned Alice Keys). Lilith Fair '99 called and.... Anyhow, Adele taps out general piano riff, whines and moans about an ex the same way Pink does on every other song, but without any of the edge behind it to actually seem like a personality, and there you go.

#11: "Wild Ones" by Flo Rida feat. Sia

Of the four Flo Rida hits (counting Cry Just A Little), I'd say I dislike thiso ne the most, though Whistle is neck in neck with it. That's probably just my sickness with people Woo-oo--oo-ooo-ooo-ing all over every other song though. FLor Rida's prettymuch in line with Pitbull, they're terrible, but you don't catch half of what they're saying anyways, and forget the other half as fast as it goes by.

Sia is a great singer by herself. She does not belong featuring on random Flo Rida songs, in my opinion. I like "Some Nights", too.

Also, are you going to list off your favorites by the end of this? I'm interested to see what you personally pick out of this pile.

Full:
Sia is a great singer by herself. She does not belong featuring on random Flo Rida songs, in my opinion. I like "Some Nights", too.

Also, are you going to list off your favorites by the end of this? I'm interested to see what you personally pick out of this pile.

My favorites, probably not. However, I will definitely be doing my top 10 worst songs, but in a different format than usual. I might do my favorites as well, but I'm not sure.

Full:
Sia is a great singer by herself. She does not belong featuring on random Flo Rida songs, in my opinion.

Her solo albums somewhere in my stacks of stuff to listen to. She isn't exactly covering herself in glory though, with having written and performed Titanium, and also wrote 'Diamond' (wherein Rihanna tries to do Nicki Minaj's thign instead of vice-versa) and 'Let Me Love You' (which would qualify as the high point of douchey would-be romance songs if not for 'One More Night'.)

Seth Carter:

Full:
Sia is a great singer by herself. She does not belong featuring on random Flo Rida songs, in my opinion.

Her solo albums somewhere in my stacks of stuff to listen to. She isn't exactly covering herself in glory though, with having written and performed Titanium, and also wrote 'Diamond' (wherein Rihanna tries to do Nicki Minaj's thign instead of vice-versa) and 'Let Me Love You' (which would qualify as the high point of douchey would-be romance songs if not for 'One More Night'.)

Well, in my opinion, anyway. I just think she has a voice that is better suited for other things. Sadly, she does not use it for those things.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked