2012 Billboard Top 100: #5-1

Last set of songs, then I'll reveal my thoughts on the year, top 10 best and worst songs of the year, and my next chart for review.

#5: "Lights" by Ellie Goulding

From what I know, she is a British singer.

Music is a pretty gentle and catchy keyboard line, with a generic drum beat for the . As for the singing, Ellie Goulding is better than most of the British crossover artists. She has a higher pitched voice, but she never goes sharp, which is nice to hear.

Lyrics...I'm not really sure what they are about. They mention lights, and that they call her home. I'm guessing she is talking about a concert, with spotlights.

Despite the confusing lyrics, this is still a really good song. The music is nice and catchy, and sounds pretty 80's, which is a good thing. The singing is also pretty strong. It's nice to hear someone with a higher singing voice who actually knows how to use it. This song gets my approval.

#4: "Payphone" by Maroon 5 feat. Wiz Khalifa

Trifecta for Maroon 5 and the fourth hit for Wiz.

Music is actually not that bad. It starts off with a slow piano, with a pretty decent drum line kicking in. As for the singing, Adam Levine is a bit higher-pitched than I'd like, but he at least seems to show more honest emotion here than in "One More Night". Wiz Khalifa...not so much.

This song is basically a post-breakup song. He is not over it, and is calling his girl from a payphone, trying to talk to her and make up. He is obviously bitter, but he does want to make up. Wiz Khalifa...brags about how much better off he is without her, bragging about how much money he has.

This song...needs to not have Wiz Khalifa in it. His verse really throws off the song's tone, and not in a good way. He doesn't care what the song is about. He just does whatever the hell he wants. That said, the Maroon 5 portion of the song is actually quite good. Although a bit outdated (seriously, who still uses payphones?), the emotion in Adam's voice really works well for these kinds of songs. It's not as good as older Maroon 5, but it is more honest than "Moves Like Jagger", and it actually sounds like Maroon 5, unlike "One More Night".

#3: "We Are Young" by fun. feat. Janelle Monae

Repeat artist and...some chick who looks like the sister of Bruno Mars.

Music is not too bad. It starts off with a pretty nice drum beat, and the piano kicks in during the verse, giving it the feel of a bar song. As for the singing, fun.'s lead singer is better off being bombastic rather than the more gentle tone he takes for the verses.

As for the lyrics...I have no idea what this song is about. He seems to be singing about how kids party like there is no tomorrow. The verses, though...*shrugs*

This is not nearly as good as "Some Nights". It makes about as much sense as that song, but it doesn't have the epic feeling that "Some Nights" had. The singer is not as good with the gentler parts, and the music is not as bombastic as it should be. Janelle Monae has a nice voice, I think, but she is totally wasted in this song, given about 30 seconds of the song, where she is buried pretty badly in the mix. It's not a bad song, but it is not as exciting as it should be.

#2: "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen

Repeat artist!

The music is not that great in this song. It is basically a repetitive keyboard line, with a generic drum line. Still fucking catchy in the chorus, though. Singing is not that strong, but considering that she sounded a lot better in "Good Time", maybe it was intentional.

You have heard this song. You should know what it is about. Basically, she likes a male neighbor, and gives him her number to call her...maybe.

I don't like this song very much. To me, it is just a generic teen love song. The singing sounds like she is a teen, the lyrics are so sweet, you can get diabetes, and the music is annoyingly catchy. I don't know why this became one of the biggest hits of the year. I mean, yes, Justin Bieber promoted it, but this song is a lot bigger of a hit than any of his songs, so that can't be the entire reason. I will admit that the end of the video, where her crush walks up to the male guitarist and gives him his number, is pretty funny, though.

#1: "Somebody That I Used To Know" by Gotye

And for the second year in a row, we have a foreigner come out of nowhere for the top spot. Thank you, Australia, for stopping Carly Rae Jepsen. Oh, and this song features Kimbra.

Intro music sounds suspiciously like "Baa Baa Black Sheep" played on a xylophone, but the guitar that kicks in after is pretty nice. As for the singing, Gotye is not terrible. He has a higher pitched singing voice, but his lower pitched voice sounds somehow menacing. Kimbra does a pretty good job in her verse.

Lyrics are basically an ex saying that his girlfriend treats him like crap, and it makes him sad that she is now just the title person. She, on the other hand, basically is telling him why she broke up with him, and that she caught him hung up on someone that he used to know.

This song is...pretty good, in my opinion. While I don't like a lot of breakup songs because they seem to not notice that the guy is coming off as a jerk, this song not only notices it, but plays on it by showing both sides of the story. The music is simplistic, highlighting the actually fairly strong vocals. I'm not sure it is my favorite song of the year, but I can see why it was the number one song for America.

Well, that is 2012. Thoughts? It was an interesting year. Sure, there were some things I expected, like a lot of Rihanna and rap. But I was surprised how many foreign artists there were. I mean, in the top 5 alone, there were three foreign artists making up the top 2 songs of the year. On top of that, this was one of the biggest years for indie rock in a while. fun. had two hits, Imagine Dragons got a hit, and the top song was some Australian coming out of nowhere with a smash hit, and then fading away.

Well, time for my lists. As a heads-up, these are in no order, other than number 1 in both lists.

Well, let's see where the number generator takes us this time!

Previously: #10-6

Next: 1976 Top 100 #100-96

These last five weren't that bad. I especially like the guitar covers. How those didn't rank, we'll never know.

I only jumped into these reviews half-way through, but have since went back and read the others, since I enjoyed this review style. I also haven't been a big music person lately, so it was cool to see read these and see what the year in American music was like, with the views of someone who seemingly knows what they might be on about.

Full:
These last five weren't that bad. I especially like the guitar covers. How those didn't rank, we'll never know.

I only jumped into these reviews half-way through, but have since went back and read the others, since I enjoyed this review style. I also haven't been a big music person lately, so it was cool to see read these and see what the year in American music was like, with the views of someone who seemingly knows what they might be on about.

Actually, I started reviewing them for the same reason, just to see what the general public was into at the time. But I've now done 500 reviews, so I've developed a more refined sense of what to keep an ear out for.

As for the guitar covers, they are not publicly released songs. The "Call Me Maybe" guitar cover, as well as the one for "We Found Love" is by Cole Rolland, who is a self taught guitarist on Youtube under the name of CRCanada. As for the ____ Meets Metal guy, his name is Eric Calderone, another guitarist on Youtube under the name of 331ERock. He does have an album available, though.

Somebody that I Used to Know is a song that at first i didnt like at all.. and found really boring but definitely grew on me over time to become actually a fairly decent song, Payphone i actually enjoy although i agree with you that Wiz isnt need on it at all because its a nice song without him. Call Me Maybe after hearing 10 billion times someone please just murder me now! yes we get it hes gay thats enough! :D We Are Young i only like the glee version.. the fun. version just bores the PANTS off of me! and of course Lights.. what a popular song.. but i never really got into it at all.. weird isnt it?

Powereaver:
Somebody that I Used to Know is a song that at first i didnt like at all.. and found really boring but definitely grew on me over time to become actually a fairly decent song, Payphone i actually enjoy although i agree with you that Wiz isnt need on it at all because its a nice song without him. Call Me Maybe after hearing 10 billion times someone please just murder me now! yes we get it hes gay thats enough! :D We Are Young i only like the glee version.. the fun. version just bores the PANTS off of me! and of course Lights.. what a popular song.. but i never really got into it at all.. weird isnt it?

I find it odd that you like the Glee version more. Glee tends to ruin everything.

I have to say that I like We Are Young much more than Some Nights. I don't really consider We Are Young to be an amazing song by any means but I still think it sounds nice while I find Some Nights to be absolutely annoying. The singer is pretty good when he's singing but it's rather annoying when he isn't and it sounds like the rythm of the song just jumps around without any rhyme or reason to it. I guess a concise way of saying it would be that the song doesn't sound consistent.

I don't actually mind 1 and 5. The rest though... *shudders*

Also, completely agree with you about Gangnam Style. It is the kind of song I should hate yet I love it for some reason.

You are so right about Wiz's verse. It's like he didn't even listen to the song when he wrote that verse.

"Payphone" becomes significantly more listenable and entertaining if you listen to it under the impression that Wiz and Adam are talking to each other.

Nice touch with the top ten best and worst.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked