WTF Sword Art Online (Rylingo Reviews Anime)

WTF Sword Art Online
Rylingo Reviews Anime

After my Gun control episode I'm back to good old fashioned reviewing. Here's my take on 2012's most popular anime, Sword Art Online.

This is my first time watching one of your reviews and I really enjoyed your writing, though I would maybe work on the delivery a bit (your accent sometimes gets slightly too thick) and perhaps improve somewhat on the visuals. NIce job nonetheless.

As for your thoughts on Sword Art Online, I completely disagree...for the most part. The show does indeed feature some of the worst excesses of current Japanese animation like the harem tropes and the heroine with inconsistent characterization. This is all surface stuff however, and I think this is the weakest part of your review. One of the most compelling and interesting parts of Sword Art Online is it's approach to questions of reality, identity, and social stratification. These are all exemplified in both of Kirito's character arcs in the separate seasons, and it is clear they are the shows focus, as exemplified, as you noted, by how much the plot jumps around time wise.

Sword Art Online is by no means the best exemplar of anime, and I doubt that it's legacy will equal that of better shows, but it is a lot better than you give it credit for, and I don't think it should be criticized for surface details when it has bigger glaring issues like the conclusion of the second season.

This series was fucking awesome up until the first game was cleared. From then on it was shit.

Kuomon:
This is my first time watching one of your reviews and I really enjoyed your writing, though I would maybe work on the delivery a bit (your accent sometimes gets slightly too thick) and perhaps improve somewhat on the visuals. NIce job nonetheless.

Yeah I let my accent get a little bit out of control on that one. The Northern Ireland accent is extremely strong so it's difficult to throw off. For visuals, I agree. Is it better to have more images or more footage? Images take longer to put in but footage runs a bigger risk with youtubes banhammer.

Kuomon:
Sword Art Online is by no means the best exemplar of anime, and I doubt that it's legacy will equal that of better shows, but it is a lot better than you give it credit for, and I don't think it should be criticized for surface details when it has bigger glaring issues like the conclusion of the second season.

I was quite harsh on it but I tend to be pretty harsh in general. I did say its worth giving a try, if only for the first few episodes. The second seasons conclusion was troubling but I didn't want to go into it since that would involve spoilers.

ShinyCharizard:
This series was fucking awesome up until the first game was cleared. From then on it was shit.

I did think the series took a downturn when the second game started. The fights where good without though. The flying seemed fun and pacey in the second season.

I tend to agree a lot on the above comments about the 2nd game.. it just wasnt as in-depth of a story as the first game and it was all about the rescuing and so on.. when really again they couldve concentrated on places and characters in the 2nd game more and have the whole rescue thing as an important sub-plot!

What I was wondering was how the hell were these people surviving while their comtose bodies were going without nourishment in the real world? And are they all just laying in their own filth and getting bed sores?

I've only seen the first 6 episodes, but these questions were constantly going through my head.

Powereaver:
I tend to agree a lot on the above comments about the 2nd game.. it just wasnt as in-depth of a story as the first game and it was all about the rescuing and so on.. when really again they couldve concentrated on places and characters in the 2nd game more and have the whole rescue thing as an important sub-plot!

Couldn't agree more. A little more screen time for some of the male side characters too. It would at least have made it feel a little less haremy.

Casual Shinji:
What I was wondering was how the hell were these people surviving while their comtose bodies were going without nourishment in the real world? And are they all just laying in their own filth and getting bed sores?

I've only seen the first 6 episodes, but these questions were constantly going through my head.

The players were all brought to hospital once it was found that they were locked in the game. They are on drips for nourishment. I assume the had bags attached or were cleaned regularly when it comes to poop, piss and... other bodily fluids.

Rylingo:
For visuals, I agree. Is it better to have more images or more footage? Images take longer to put in but footage runs a bigger risk with youtubes banhammer.

Gigguk's recommendations in regards to footage were to 1) flip the video horizontally, 2) keep clips as short as you can, and 3) pitch up audio.

Oof, as for me, my dislike for SAO exceeded the bounds of rationality a long time ago. I don't think I can think of a single good thing about it anymore. Every time a review mentions something positive about it, I'm like "No! That sucked, too!"

What puzzles me is how SAO got so popular. I accept the premise that bad things can become popular, but it seems to me like there's usually some kind of mechanism for it - a "right place, right time" - which to me seems pretty much absent from SAO. It fills the two most-filled niches in contemporary anime: action and harem. Someone needs to do a study.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here