1976 Billboard Top 100: #90-86

Moving upwards.

#90: "Breaking Up's Hard To Do" by Neil Sedaka

I have heard this song before, but I don't remember it.

The music is actually somewhat Beach Boys sounding, with a lot of harmonies and a faint piano line. I like it. Singing is not as good as Brian Wilson, though. It's not bad, but it is not as smooth sounding as Brian.

As for the lyrics, the singer is basically trying to convince his girl to give him one chance, for the reason listed in the title.

I don't care too much for this song. The music and harmonies are nice, but the singer's voice is grating to me, and the song isn't as fun to listen to as the Beach Boys, who clearly inspired Neil Sedaka. It's a short song, but that is probably for the best.

#89: "Young Hearts Run Free" by Candi Staton

I thought I had heard this song, but I had it confused with "Young Turks" by Rod Stewart.

Music is quite recognizable. It is about as disco as you can get, with a great piano line and kickass brass. As for the singing, Candi Staton does a decent job. She has a fairly high voice, but a clean one.

Lyrics are pretty dark for a disco song, though. Basically, she is singing about breaking away from a bad relationships, saving her love for someone she feels is worthy. That's right, there is more than one "I Will Survive".

This is a pretty fun song. The music is easy to jive to, and the singing voice is strong. I don't think it is quite as good as "I Will Survive", but it is just a fun song to put on when you are the mood for a very 70's dance song.

#88: "Baby, I Love Your Way" by Peter Frampton

Ah, yes. The man who has the best selling live album of all time.

Music is very guitar driven, as expected from Peter Frampton, with a nice acoustic guitar line, along with a decent bass and piano line. Singing is pretty good. Peter Frampton has a fairly high-pitched singing voice, but he puts a lot of emotion into his words, and he sounds good doing it.

As for the words, this is a love song. Basically, he is serenading his girl in the outdoors, telling her to give it to him, because he loves her and wants to be with her always.

The part of me that likes cheesy love songs really enjoys this song. It's not all that complex of a song, but it's just a sweet song, and Frampton really sells the rather generic lyrics. It's not his best song, but it is a great song nonetheless.

#87: "Walk Away From Love" by David Ruffin

Who? *research* Ah, one of the lead singers of The Temptations, including singing the lead on "My Girl" and "Ain't Too Proud To Beg". I really like those songs.

Music starts off a bit slow, but once the piano kicks in, it becomes pretty decent. As for the singing...this guy has a lot of talent. He has a soulful voice, and sells almost every word. This guy could sing the phonebook and make it sound good. They still use phonebooks, right?

The lyrics are pretty depressing, honestly. Basically, the guy isn't sure why he can't stay with the girl, assuring her that he does love her, and no one else, but he just doesn't feel that he can carry on with a relationship, and is walking away from love before it breaks his heart.

This is a great song, and probably the best I've heard so far out of 1976. The lyrics are a bit of a downer, but he makes it work, with nice music that manages to be somewhat upbeat while not being out of place with the lyrics, and his singing voice is amazing. He deserves all the accolades he gets, because he is a true artist, and this song really shows it.

#86: "Who'd She Coo" by Ohio Players

I have heard of them, but not this song. I am familiar with "Love Rollercoaster", of course, and also "Fire". Granted, only because it is the theme for "Hell's Kitchen", but still.

Well, the music is pretty damn awesome, I must say. There is definitely a disco beat going on, but with a very catchy guitar riff, which is not usual for a disco song. Singing is all right, but they clearly had a signature sound, as all of their songs sound the same vocals-wise.

The lyrics are...well, not much to discuss. Apparently, Who'd She Coo is a dance, and they want you to do it, because everyone is doing it. That's it. That is the entire lyrical content of the song.

This is a song that doesn't really work, despite being fun to listen to. The lyrics are basic as you can get, which is fine for a dance song, but the beat is not really danceable, because the beat is just way too fast to keep up with, unless you are doing a jive. It's definitely enjoyable, but it isn't that enjoyable, and easily the weakest of the three Ohio Players' songs I've heard.

Well, that was a pretty good list. Let's see what's next.

Previously: #95-91

Next: #85-81

Some classics on that 5 too with Neil Frampton and Young Hearts Run Free.. now the next 5 has Queen.. ok this is looking up some more!

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked