1976 Billboard Top 100: #80-76

After this, I'll be 25% of the way done!

#80: "She's Gone" by Hall & Oates

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I like these guys.

Music is nice. Has a slow piano beat, but with a bit of a funkier beat to it, which makes it stand out from other Hall & Oates songs. As for the singing, that is an area Hall & Oates has always excelled in, and here is no exception.

As for the lyrics, the singer is basically singing about the title, and how the fact that she is gone has affected him.

This is a fairly basic song. There aren't many instruments, and the lyrics are a pretty cliched message. If you are going to play it safe, you better blow each area of the song away. That's exactly what happens here. The singers really sell every word, showing exactly how much worse he feels now that his love has gone away, and the instruments do a great job of backing them up. This is a great song, and one of my favorite Hall & Oates songs.

#79: "Getaway" by Earth, Wind & Fire

This is one of the most classic disco bands, in my opinion. Right up there with Bee Gees and Abba.

Music is exactly what you should get out of a disco song. It's upbeat, and makes you just want to get up and dance, with a great brass section. As for the singing, I've always found the lead singer's voice interesting. He has a unique tone that I don't hear very often, and he makes it work.

The lyrics are fairly generic. Basically, the singer is convincing a girl to run away with him, saying that it is the right thing to do.

Despite the rather generic lyrics, this is a fun song. The instruments make this an easy song to enjoy listening to, and the lead singer's voice is unique enough to make it stand out from other disco songs. Once again, this is a fun song to listen to.

#78: "Fanny (Be Tender With My Love)" by Bee Gees

Another classic disco band. Rest in peace, Robin and Maurice Gibbs.

This is not a disco song. Rather, it is slower-paced, with a nice piano line and an unplugged electric guitar backing it up. It sounds pretty good. As for the singing, it sounds quite nice. This was one of the first songs to feature Robin's falsetto, which would later become one of the key components of Bee Gees songs.

The lyrics are that of another love song. Basically, if you read the title, you can guess what this song is about. He is asking Fanny to be tender with his love, because it is all that he has got, and it is easy to break.

This is, in my opinion, one of the better Bee Gees songs that I've heard. The singing is different from the norm for what people think of when they hear Bee Gees, showing that Robin's brothers were just as skilled as he was in the vocals department, the instruments back up the complex harmonies well, and the lyrics are quite sweet, when you listen to them. It's a shame this was one of the songs they couldn't perform live, due to the complex harmonies, as it would have been amazing to see. As it is, it's still a great song.

#77: "Got To Get You Into My Life" by The Beatles

If you don't know who The Beatles are...how did you manage that?

Music is pretty nice, with a rather bombastic production and a great brass section that isn't usually heard in songs by this band. As for the singing, Paul McCartney has a very fun voice. Technically, he isn't all that skilled, but he makes it work.

As for the lyrics, it's another love song. Just kidding. It was made in the sixties, so the lyrics were written in a way to sound like a love song, but Paul McCartney has confirmed the song is about marijuana. Not that that is a surprise. I mean, "Another road where maybe I could see another kind of mind there", combined with "I wanted just to hold you"?

This is one of the best songs about drugs ever. I'm not sure it should have been a hit in 1976 when it was released 10 years earlier, but the music, the lyrics, and the singing all makes this one fun song to listen to. The blunt is optional.

#76: "Rhiannon" by Fleetwood Mac

Another classic band. The entire album "Rumours" is one of my favorite albums out of the 70's.

Music is classic Fleetwood Mac. Guitar, keyboard, you know the drill. It is a fairly slow beat, but it works. As for the singing, Stevie Nicks is quite a good singer. At least, she was. She's gone downhill a bit recently.

As for the lyrics, this song is not a love song like some people think. Actually, this song is about a Welsh mythological woman/goddess by the same name, who was considered both a wife-goddess who was kind, but also as a wife who was falsely accused of murdering her son. Apparently, different people had different ideas about her. This song seems to lean towards the former, but "will you ever win" seems to be a reference to the latter incident.

Even if you don't know the backstory of the song, this is still a great song. The music is great, and Stevie Nicks' voice is amazing. The lyrics still hold up as a love song, albeit a weird one that doesn't make sense, but are actually pretty impressive when you break it down and find out what she is really singing about. This is a classic for a reason.

Well, that set was universally good. Let's see what awaits us in the top 75!

Previously: #85-81

Next: #75-71

Haha i didnt realise the beatles song was about drugs *slaps forehead* but youre right it was the 60's so that was pretty normal.. hello hippies! .. i actually enjoyed that 5.. some Bee Gees some Beatles some Fleets! .. good stuff all around! :D

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked