1976 Billboard Top 100: #60-56

Well, took the weekend off, now it is time to continue.

#60: "Heaven Must Be Missing an Angel" by Tavares

Who? *research* Ah, an R&B, funk, and soul band. Let's see what this song is.

Seems to be more funk in this song, but with some soul vibes as well. The backing brass section, as well some of the keyboard, sounds quite funky in that disco way, but the main keyboard sounds more soul. It makes for a pretty fun combo. As for the singing, these are about as generic as you can get with the soul voice. It's nice, but not exactly stand-out. I couldn't sit down and say, "Oh, that's Tavares" just from the voice.

This is a love song. With a title like that, I'm sure you can guess what the gist of the song is. Heaven is missing an angel...because she is with the singer.

This is fun to listen to, but there is not much about it one way or the other. The singing is a bit generic, and the lyrics are cliched, even by love song standards. The music is quite interesting, though, which is the most important part of the song. Another issue, though, is its length. This song is perfect at just under 4 and a half minutes, but it is about 6, which is overly long. Still, I like In-A-Gadda-Da-Vidda, so I'd be a bit of a hypocrite if I say that is a song killer.

#59: "Sing A Song" by Earth, Wind, and Fire

Repeat artist!

Like their previous song, this is how I feel disco music should sound. Loud, catchy, and all out. Nothing against the Bee Gees, but "Stayin' Alive" is about as get-up-and-dance as Coldplay. Singing isn't too bad. I can't call it generic, because you can recognize EWAF by the sound of the vocals, but it isn't all that special to me.

As for the lyrics, this is a very simple song to understand. Basically, if you are feeling down, sing a song, and everything will be better! Or, well, the same. But you'll enjoy your sucky life!

I kid a bit, but this song is a blast. It's rather simple in lyrics, but disco songs are not known for being deep songs. They are known for being bad songs that are somehow fun to dance to. This only fills the second part of that sentence, though, as it is a great song. Silly lyrics, but you can't fault it for that.

#58: "Welcome Back" by John Sebastian

Who? *research* Ah, an American singer-songwriter, most notable for founding a band I've never heard of called The Lovin' Spoonful.

*facepalm* I just realized I have heard this song. It is the theme to "Welcome Back, Kotter". Anyways, the music is very sparse, being just an acoustic guitar and a bit of keyboard, with some random electric guitar licks. As for the singing...this guy is a poor man's Bob Dylan. And Bob Dylan wasn't known for his singing voice. You do the math.

As for the lyrics, they are basically welcoming back someone to his old home, saying that things are different, but he is still welcomed.

This really does sound like a theme song, so it doesn't surprise me that it is. You can easily picture the credits on screen. I like the show, but this song does not stand out on its own. The music is "meh", the singing is not that good, and the lyrics are just explaining the back story of the show.

#57: "Convoy" by C.W. McCall

OK, backstory for those who don't know it and haven't seen Todd in the Shadows. C.W. McCall was basically a marketing gimmick that somehow managed to get a pop hit. If that doesn't send you running, I am impressed.

Music is not that impressive. Basically, it consists of some drums, a plodding bass line, with some keyboard that sounds like the music when your Pokemon evolves, along with some slightly more impressive piano in the chorus. I hesitate to call this "singing", as it is basically a spoken word song, with a female choir singing the chorus. It's not bad, but it isn't challenging to speak in rhythm.

The lyrics are pretty easy to understand, even through the CB jargon. Basically, it is a convoy of trucks vs state police. That's about all you need to understand to get what the song is about.

I am usually forgiving for novelty songs. They can be a bit silly, but they are supposed to be. I'm making an exception here. This is not good. There's next to no SINGING in this SONG, the music is blander than WASPs eating white bread, and the lyrics give no real reason you are rooting on the truckers. Hell, based on this song, I'd authorize the cops to open fire.

#56: "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" by Elvin Bishop

Who? *research* Ah, a blues and rock and roll musician. Not to be confused with Legolas working in the Catholic church.

Music isn't bad, but it is a bit doo-woppy. You can practically see the quartet singing along with the singer. At least, other than the drums, which aren't half-bad, and the guitar solos. The singing is pretty good, though. Elvin has a fairly high-pitched, but still passionate, voice. Doesn't show a ton of range.

As for the lyrics, this song is basically exactly what the title says. He's fooled around with many girls, but he has fallen in love with his latest fling.

I'd fault this song for its thin lyrics, but the song isn't even 3 minutes long, so I really can't. As well, the singing and music are all solid, if not necessarily impressive. Still, for a short song, this is pretty decent. No "Master Exploder", but I didn't find myself thinking "Thank God it was short" like "Rack City", either.

Well, that list wasn't bad. Other than Convoy. But you know, these lists have really been missing the iconic songs. Songs that define the 70's. I mean, there are recognizable songs, but other than "Rock and Roll All Nite" and "Rhiannon", there haven't been any big defining songs.

Previously: #65-61

Next: #55-51

Thats not too bad of a 5.. Earth Wind and Fire are usually pretty good so cant complain there.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked