League of Legends - Soon you'll be a monster, too

Pages 1 2 NEXT

League of Legends Review
Riot Games, 2009 - 2013

People who play League of Legends are an angry bunch, by now you must have heard. Being one of the worst online communities in history is at this point both an understatement and undeniable fact, compelling even Riot Games to take action against its players' uncontainable ego. They've actually added features designed solely to discourage the incessant negativity, recently awarding virtual ribbons to 'friendly' gamers (heads up -- they aren't). Maybe the game isn't fun, you wonder, but then judging a game by its players doesn't seem in good taste. Instead, you could try it out yourself -- it's free, after all -- and see where the hatred comes from. Because it's the game, dammit, and soon you'll be a monster, too.

Oddly enough, a new account will greet you with comrades who are friendly, helpful, and more curious about the game and its colorful roster of champions than they are about properly dominating the fields of justice. The free to play model shines brightest in these early stages, arousing player interest in a number of ways. To start, you can now choose from over 100 unique champions, where every week a different set of 10 is made freely available. As you explore their different play styles you can then purchase favorites with actual money, or by using points (IP) earned by simply finishing matches. Choosing the free route, one can quite enjoyably cruise to the max level of 30 without ever spending money, earning enough IP to collect a number of personalities all while testing out the free picks each week.

It's during this process of exploration where LoL is most innocent and perhaps -- before your heart turns to cold steel -- even the most enjoyable. Truly, could a game look any less intimidating? A battlefield reminiscent of 100 Acre Woods populated by collectible characters -- many of whom wouldn't be all that out of place alongside Winnie the Pooh himself -- LoL is undeniably adorable and yet somehow molded around fierce competition. Three lanes lead from one end of the map to the other, continuously spawning waves of minions to march down them.The objective is to help your own little dudes push down the turrets that line the road to the enemy's base, and finally destroy the Nexus within.

Where opposing waves meet is where the essence of League of Legends lies, because its the minions that yield not only the experience points that level your character, but also the gold that buys you powerful equipment back at base. Gold isn't shared, it merely goes to the killer, and so with only 3 lanes of minions and 10 champions playing the field, LoL demands that team members prioritize themselves into specific roles so as to farm the most possible gold from the minion waves. When all is said and done, what you generally get is 4 champions sorting the lanes into individual 1v1, 1v2, or 2v2 match ups against the other team. Meanwhile, the 5th player often plays behind the scenes, killing neutral monsters in the game's jungles while staying hidden by the fog of war. He levels at his own pace while looking for opportunities to help his team in the lanes, popping in for occasional ambushes.

Really just an RTS styled computer game with singular unit control, avoiding death in LoL is as simple as spacing yourself properly from perceived dangers. In turn, killing is as simple as catching other champions out of position. It's not technically difficult to understand or mechanically hard to perform, just a bunch of right clicking to move around, dodging spells, and staying out of harms way. But it's this kind of simplicity and common sense that make LoL both infuriating and addictive. Catching an opponent off guard is rewarding in how it makes them look like a complete fool, and you a total mastermind. There is no in between, no graceful way to accept a death, or humble approach to take a life. Someone screws up, and another takes advantage of his stupidity.

Consider how humiliating LoL can be. Maybe you're Gangplank, the pirate with a sword but also a flintlock pistol that can be fired every few seconds or so. The match begins and you head off to your assigned lane as the first waves of minions make their way towards each other, clash, and create a point of contest where you will meet the opposing champ. Maybe it's the little girl, Annie, who wears a pink dress and dangles a teddy bear at her side. Well aware of her deceiving looks, you dance around carefully, managing your mana, harassing the little girl with shots from your pistol, and whacking minions for gold. A couple minutes pass and your confidence is brimming. You've gotten Annie down to half health, scaring her away from the minion groups and thus starving her of any profit. But then she does something strange, and your brain knows it's strange but your ego won't accept the warning signals. She comes after you, within killing distance, and presents her life to you. And the moment you commit to taking it is when her friend from another lane leaps out of some bush, stuns you, and melts your hp.

These moments can destroy a man's soul. For one, dying means you have to sit in limbo for half a minute and watch helplessly as this little girl takes free reign over your lane, knocks down your turret, and farms as many minions as she pleases. It could also give the enemy team a crucial power play, allowing them to safely slay the map's dragon -- a mini objective -- for even more gold. And you can't hide your utter failure from your teammates, not when a very egregious game announcer laments: "An ally has been slain!" over everyone's headset. You can't hide the fact that a powerful Annie is now roaming across the map, terrorizing other lanes, and dismantling your team. Here is a game where what your teammates do is largely out of your control (you have your own lane to worry about) but whose mistakes you'll have to make up for later on when the team finally groups together.

But on the flip side (the victor's side), these moments breed glory and character love, which is LoL's continual selling point. Performing well with a champion renders it a symbol of pride, hence why so many people shell out cash for collectible skins to dress them with. And though each character ultimately wields similar tool sets of stuns, slows, and things like attack speed and lifesteal modifiers, Riot still manages get the hype rolling for new ones, even when they don't necessarily add any new dynamics to the field of play. There's a champion in here for everyone, all voiced with enthusiastic talent, all containing their own charms, easy to grasp controls, and colorful spell effects. Shape shift into a dragon, combo into brutal finishers, or meld into the shadows. Even when it's all the same -- that is, getting the jump on the enemy -- the fun is all in the details.

But the conformity of the champion designs also merit a good deal of criticism, since there are so few that can make the game's occasionally long match times (45+ mins) interesting. Iconic champions like Ashe, the frost archer, can fire a giant ice arrow clear across the map, while the killer robot, Blitzcrank, can shoot his arm outwards and yank an unsuspecting enemy into the clutches of his team. Such champions force exciting plays to happen, whereas many others fall into the defensive meta game that LoL is ultimately settling for. The community blames each other for this, as they blame each other for everything, but in reality, long and passive games are a result of fundamental design more than anything. It's a game about capitalizing on mistakes, and as you play with smarter players, less mistakes are made, and a great deal of mulling about, gold farming, and hesitant acts of aggression can create mundane time sinks from time to time.

But plays happen, and they always will. Even at the professional level someone is going to do something horrifically unintelligent and in turn get punished for it, and depending on what end of the abuse you find yourself on, it'll render you as either a raging gremlin or leering jester, succumbing you to nervous breakdowns or basking you in imaginary applause. And whether the match spirals to hell or not really doesn't matter, since it's so easy to be convinced that the next match will hold better luck. That maybe next time you'll be able to pop some enemy champions, bathe in their bounties, and pull a team of dysfunctional clowns through to victory. It's a team oriented but individually driven game, and you must remind yourself that everyone playing it is clueless, that you are their savior, and that if you aren't playing League of Legends angry, then you probably aren't playing it correctly.

9.5/10

DISCLAIMER: Everything in LoL is broken. The balance between characters is absolutely screwed because Season 3 is hilarious. I'm personally waiting for the next League of Cleavers-esque item combo to be discovered.

Good review +1

Inb4 DOTA2 fans haters start to hate

The thing with Annie is she probably doesn't need any health taking a GP on full health to her half if she has her ult. She can just cast Stun Bear and you can't even respond in time before you get melted. Yet nobody plays her. Odd.

I do agree with the hilarious little girl owns pirate thing. Still teenage pretty boy Ezreal destroying a ninja or a giant tree is more hilarious. Ezreal is just awesome.

Also FUCK Blitzcrank. Whoever designed that disgusting robot needs to be shot. You could have the WORST possible Blitzcrank on the team, he lands one lucky grab later on and he has literally won them the game singlehandedly. Pun not intended.

By the way, I am AMAZED how you didn't remember to mention how Flash rules every aspect of the entire game. It's ridiculous. It has practically unlimited utility and as long as it is still in the game at all, it's going to be Flash + *insert secondary spell here* regardless of the new 5 minute cooldown. Unless you're running Hecarim or Olaf or similar, then you run Ghost for the hilarious berserker charges. Still the game would change drastically, in ways I can't imagine if they removed Flash entirely. Like Ignite/Exhaust kill lanes 24/7. Or full Ghost/Flash Exhaust escape lanes or Barrier/Heal for carries. God it would break the game for a while. Break it even more I mean.

You're not a true fan of the game unless you have multiple skins for a same character. I have both Pulsefire and Nottingham Ezreal or Pentakill and Arcade Sona just off the top of my head. My friend even owns every Akali skin ever made (except Striker)

Lastly, Golden rule of LoL: Do not chase Singed. That is all.

This comic is so funny and so true

I don't particularly like League of Legends and ilk, which makes it kind of weird that I have actually reached level 30 and show no intention of quitting. It's something of a love/hate relationship I guess, I'm somewhat fascinated by the intricate dance of stuns, spells and attacks in theory, but I cannot be bothered to master it, certainly not when it would require working together with the kind of hateful competitive morons who are seemingly spellbound by this genre.

It really is as all the webcomics say, LoL is not just about having fun with simple, predictable mechanics and a large set of variables (read: Champions), it's about how willing you are to apply yourself to the metagame rules, the AP Carry, AD Carry+Support, Offtank and Jungler division of labor and the constant cycle of shifting blame from one element of that chain to the next.

It still soaks up a lot of my time and has somehow become my go-to "play during podcasts" game, and this is mostly the achievement of custom game type All Random All Mid, which eschews that blasted laning phase and its focus on map awareness for the ballet of constant teamfights. The randomness of it all serves as a decent excuse for your own underperformance, too. Not that all is well, but I'm having fun with that mode mostly because it's less serious and what assholes it does attract are easier to deal with in matches that usually take no more than 20 minutes.

I'm actually of pretty much the same mind as Joe, but for somewhat different reasons. I too am level 30, play it pretty regularly, and don't show any sign of quitting. But I play for a social reason and not because I'm enamoured with the actual game.

I used to play on the same TF2 server frequently and eventually got acquainted and made friends with the same bunch of regulars (about 15 - 20 people). It got to the point where I was on TF2 solely for the fun of hanging out (and I guess collecting hats), and not because I was actually enjoying playing the damn thing. But when my digital acquaintances got hooked on League of Legends, I followed them a few months later when I realized that TF2 just wasn't the same. As a result, my experiences with League of Legends has fortunately been fairly cordial since the vast majority of my games have been with my friends in premade games chatting over TeamSpeak. The raging competitive lunatics have mostly been my opponents. Turn off all chat, and I've pretty much had no experience with the kind of players lampooned in web comics.

Although it is true that occasionally I'll venture into solo queue and suddenly remember why League of Legends has the toxic reputation it has, but those instances really just serve to remind me of why I only play with friends. I guess it also helps that I never play ranked matches. I hate to imagine the sort of vile creatures that do.

Strangely enough, I actually do rather like watching professional games (often even more than I like playing them!) I freely admit I'm not very good at League of Legends, and honestly I'd like to keep it that way. I have more fun not taking things too seriously, and I can't fathom the number of hours it would take to have a functional knowledge of all 100+ champions, what their strengths and weaknesses are, and how to play with and against them effectively. Seriously, the only champions I know how to play well (arguably) are Lux, Garen, and Nautilus. Thankfully that's all I need for any role in the game (except ADC, and there's no way in hell I willingly shoulder that responsibility).

So I guess, in the end, there are things I like about League of Legends, but it's really not the game for me and I certainly would never continue to play it if I didn't have friends so deeply ensconced in the game. I can appreciate the dance of mechanics and balance at play, and I genuinely do enjoy it as a sport (crazy as that sounds!), but as a game and more importantly as a broad community around the game, I can't fully get behind it.

A 9.5 for LoL? Must be joking. Especially in it's current state.

ItsNotRudy:

Delving deeper into the competitive side of the game, I'm sure we could co-author a novel of all the problems with the current state of LoL. But I still think it's a very entertaining system.

holdthephone:

ItsNotRudy:

Delving deeper into the competitive side of the game, I'm sure we could co-author a novel of all the problems with the current state of LoL. But I still think it's a very entertaining system.

Not even just the competitive side. The engine of the game is poor (poor visuals for low framerate, but that's what you get using Adobe AIR I suppose) and has seen and still sees a lot of bugs. Newer champions offer very little variety, as I can see the hook mechanism being recycled a few times now. Most original champions are a complete ripoff or a merger/split of Dota heroes. The game is also tweaked in a way where Mdef and Pdef don't matter as much and are certainly not worth a pure buy (only okay as a side stat). Most characters of the same kind (ranged carry, supportive, tank with AP scaling/magic skills) follow duplicate builds. Proving that itemization is flawed and don't really play well into particular strengths of characters and that item builds are rarely able to be changed much for particular situations. (after all, LoL only has very limited amount of lategame items for each particular stat)

I don't think that's delving deeply into competitive, I think it's core issues, on whatever level you play the game.

I'm shocked you didn't criticize the IP/RP system. Really glossed over that which is really one of the cons of the game. As a closed beta player and playing since the game was playable on live I have played EVERYDAY for the past 4 years and I still don't have every champ unlocked. Yes, I did put a lot of IP into runes however I don't own every rune either. Meaning that the amount of grinding one must do in order to unlock all champions and content for an optimal playstyle(to which I have played with pro players and other well known community members such as Stonewall008) is simply impossible for an average player. That really hurts new players because you will never be able to short of investing a lot of actual money to catch up to your fellow players.

Not to mention the fact that people love to abuse the report function. Did you know that the tribunal is currently at an 80% punish rate? One main reason for this is that despite removing the carrot of actual IP per judgement(which was flawed because it rewarded peer pressure) was replaced with another carrot which reinforced a person's ego and actually focused on making a player feel good about the number of correct cases and permabans their account has issued. Which when you take a step back the people who participate in that system are actually hurting their fellow hobbyists who also enjoy the game.

EDIT: Let me be a bit positive towards the OP. Your review is well organized and aesthetically pleasing to the eyes. However I should also ask this, why don't you utilize this platform and also take your written reviews and have them also be on your own personal blog. After all this is towards creating a portfolio to which you could possibly utilize towards apply for a career.

ItsNotRudy:

holdthephone:

ItsNotRudy:

Not even just the competitive side. The engine of the game is poor (poor visuals for low framerate, but that's what you get using Adobe AIR I suppose) and has seen and still sees a lot of bugs. Newer champions offer very little variety, as I can see the hook mechanism being recycled a few times now. Most original champions are a complete ripoff or a merger/split of Dota heroes. The game is also tweaked in a way where Mdef and Pdef don't matter as much and are certainly not worth a pure buy (only okay as a side stat). Most characters of the same kind (ranged carry, supportive, tank with AP scaling/magic skills) follow duplicate builds. Proving that itemization is flawed and don't really play well into particular strengths of characters and that item builds are rarely able to be changed much for particular situations. (after all, LoL only has very limited amount of lategame items for each particular stat)

I don't think that's delving deeply into competitive, I think it's core issues, on whatever level you play the game.

Bronze Scrub detected
(I jest <3)

OT:

Wow, I don't know how I ended up in user reviews, but well done. This is probably the most entrance-friendly review I've read. Most league reviews kind of feel like they go through this awkward stage in them where you go "but I don't know what that means" if you've never played before.
Also pretty accurate. Playing league angry is something of a state of being, not so much a pre-requisite. Frustration is a part of the game, it just depends on how it's doled out.

Having played the game from closed-ish beta, it sure has grown like a weed. Rusted Blitzcrank is just a long-forgotten nightmare now...

OH, you should likely mention the purchasing system in this, since it is a core part of the game at the end of the day.

Im playing League of Legends already for a while and am lvl30, but still not a monster and dont rage at other players. It sure is frustrating and I totally see how people with a more loose temper and less selfcontrol cant take when they get bad team mates...

OT:
Dota2 players like to snork at lol, but its a fact lol has more players, it is more userfriendly and easier to get into (while still having a steep learning curve). Teamplay is very important, it makes a huge difference if you play with friends or just random people.
Riotgames constantly tries to balance their game, not allways successfull (they really had the black cleaver stackable for a while...) but they do care and even update the looks of older champions or rework the kits of champs that get played rarely or just dont function as intended.
overall, just try a few moba style games and see which one is for you. at all there is quite a choice now (lol, dota2, smite or hon are the most popular ones)

Ah, yes.
LoL.
The game that took my hands, kneed me in the groin, stomped on my ribcage, punched out all my teeth, urinated on my face, tazed me 'til I shit and pissed my pants, then pulled me up, handed me a brick, and told me to go have fun.
And now the thirst for blood is all that remains within.

ItsNotRudy:

holdthephone:

ItsNotRudy:

It's nice on the eyes to me, but to each his own, I suppose. Some champions are still hideous (Kassadin, Sivir), but hopefully they'll get reworks sometime soon.

Runes/masteries are mostly arbitrary additions. The F2P model is the only reason they even exist (player incentive). Items, too, fall under a routine instead of presenting actual options to the player. I don't think LoL is terribly deep or interesting in regards that type of customization, so you'd be right, but then I don't think it's a game that relies on those elements to begin with. If anything it relies on those options staying as simple and limited as they are. Certainly much of LoL's appeal is how basic it is, ya?

As for LoL ripping off of DotA, I don't see how that's relevant. There's nothing inherently bad about that, is there? Starcraft has some Warhammer influence, but who cares?

It was a good review, nicely written and a decent primer for people looking to get into the game. Most blaring obvious problems (and OMG are/were there a lot) don't become obvious until you get to higher levels of play (ie. lvl 30 and above).

Personally I still think DOTA 2 is the better game, and is better in just about ever aspect. The game is much deeper and complex than LoL, and this complexity allows for there to not be a stale 1-1-2 meta (which has been present in LoL for years). On top of that DOTA 2 heroes are all more or less balanced, with heroes typically only not seeing play because the general role they fill is often better filled by someone else. Additionally, unlike Riot's balancing method, which is the equivalent of replacing all weapons with foam versions, DOTA 2 is balanced in that every hero is powerful in their own way. On top of that you can't really argue with the pricing models between DOTA 2 and LoL.

Still the most important thing to both games is the people you play with. So while I think Dota 2 is by far the superior game, if you have friends playing LoL and they won't switch, play LoL you'll have a better time, unless you're willing to duke it out and make some Dota 2 friends.

This game truly makes me hate my team mates sometimes. I can see why people rage at their teammates, it's a little too much take at times.

Risingblade:
This game truly makes me hate my team mates sometimes. I can see why people rage at their teammates, it's a little too much take at times.

That's cause for a strategy game people don't actually use their head and formulate a strategy. A good example is how a lot of ADCs as of late are buying both Blade of the Ruined King and then Bloodthirster. So right off the bad they have no ample source of Atk Spd(they get some from BOTRK but not enough) and more importantly lack any sort of crit and also lack damage. So when it comes to team fights they contribute very little because they are designed to just auto attack and in sparse moments utilize their abilities. So they aren't contributing how they perform their burst damage and also lack enough atk spd to increase the number of opps for crits to happen. To which there is a major difference between doing an AA that does 250 dmg and a crit that does 750 dmg.

EDIT: Another favorite of mine is how you can ward the entire enemy jungle but you can't get a single member of your team to take advantage of that map control and ambush an opponent. Literally had a match where my entire team let a 50% HP Miss Fortune just walk past all of them and decided that dragon at late game was more important than killing the ADC and pushing the lane.

I don't suppose whilst we're on the subject of LoL someone could reccomend a hero to start with? I play a lot of DotA (don't hate me) and mainly play carries, junglers or mid heroes. I like the look of Draven (because Destiny plays him so y'know he must be pretty awesome) and Teemo because I'm a sucker for cute bunny creatures.

The honour system does seem to work for me. Ever since I got my Great Teammate badge, I end up in teams where at least 2 of my 4 allies also have a great teammate/mentor badge and nobody's a dick. I can't make any guarantees for the other team, but my enjoyment of LoL went way up once I played 5 games straight with no abuse at all from teammates and actually friendly conversation+cooperation.

However, working my way up to the Great Teammate badge, I do know what you mean about the community. Some people seem to think that every kill is inherently theirs; even if they're nowhere nearby. Or insist you're a noob for not diving at lvl 1 while playing a support (hint: Sona doesn't dive well). Or just the general douchebaggery. Good Lord, I'm so glad to be rid of those people.

EDIT:

ParanoidEngineer:
I don't suppose whilst we're on the subject of LoL someone could reccomend a hero to start with? I play a lot of DotA (don't hate me) and mainly play carries, junglers or mid heroes. I like the look of Draven (because Destiny plays him so y'know he must be pretty awesome) and Teemo because I'm a sucker for cute bunny creatures.

Ashe does pretty well for people early on, but any Recommended character should do (look up character info sheets in-client or on their site). Considering you know MOBA mechanics, it's really just a matter of learning the items and abilities. Garen is also pretty easy and quite strong as a melee carry. I don't recommend Jungling unless you've read up on the spawn times and buffs in LoL. Not sure how that compares to DotA, but it's a special set of skills, to be certain. Hope you enjoy and don't let the assholes get to you.

ParanoidEngineer:

Teemo is really hilarious, I think you'd enjoy him. You get to mine the map with mushrooms and there's a lot of self-validation in that. Just place his mushrooms on key choke points and in bushes, and you'll have a blast.

Tenmar:
I'm shocked you didn't criticize the IP/RP system. Really glossed over that which is really one of the cons of the game. As a closed beta player and playing since the game was playable on live I have played EVERYDAY for the past 4 years and I still don't have every champ unlocked. Yes, I did put a lot of IP into runes however I don't own every rune either. Meaning that the amount of grinding one must do in order to unlock all champions and content for an optimal playstyle(to which I have played with pro players and other well known community members such as Stonewall008) is simply impossible for an average player. That really hurts new players because you will never be able to short of investing a lot of actual money to catch up to your fellow players.

You're not wrong, but they have to leave some kind of incentive for people to spend money. I've played for a couple of years now and only own about 1/3rd of the cast through IP, which while not very responsible of me, is enough for me to play semi-seriously on ladder. Truthfully, I don't even want the others. But the nice thing about the model is that as a free player, the experience is in no way limited or watered down. I'm still playing the same game and on equal footing with everyone else, I just have less champ options. I don't own every mage in the game, but I don't need to in order to win my games. People who buy or grind out all the champions always struck me as having a short attention span. I main 1-3 champs and change flavors every month or so.

What I don't like is how runes can't be bought with money, which means you have to grind them out just to be able to play the game properly at a higher level. I think that's a bigger problem and one I don't quite understand.

Also, what's up with no surrender before 20 mins? Gah!

Thanks for reading, by the way.

Tenmar:

Risingblade:

That's cause for a strategy game people don't actually use their head and formulate a strategy. A good example is how a lot of ADCs as of late are buying both Blade of the Ruined King and then Bloodthirster. So right off the bad they have no ample source of Atk Spd(they get some from BOTRK but not enough) and more importantly lack any sort of crit and also lack damage. So when it comes to team fights they contribute very little because they are designed to just auto attack and in sparse moments utilize their abilities. So they aren't contributing how they perform their burst damage and also lack enough atk spd to increase the number of opps for crits to happen. To which there is a major difference between doing an AA that does 250 dmg and a crit that does 750 dmg.

EDIT: Another favorite of mine is how you can ward the entire enemy jungle but you can't get a single member of your team to take advantage of that map control and ambush an opponent. Literally had a match where my entire team let a 50% HP Miss Fortune just walk past all of them and decided that dragon at late game was more important than killing the ADC and pushing the lane.

It's the little things that get to you too. Like having your jungler come into lane take your farm push your lane then leave or the TF who ults to your lane and takes your adc's kill. As for wards, I really wish more people would buy them when the only source of initiation from your team is your support. They're already gold starved and have to build tanky. An ward can make all the difference guys just one more ward...

ParanoidEngineer:

If you've played a lot of DOTA or DOTA 2 you should transition pretty well. As for starting champs since I'm going to make the base assumption that you are literally starting from scratch then the recommended champs are very focused in their role with very few able to perform a bit more. Much like DOTA technically any champion can itemize(aside from AP due to abilities scaling from AD or AP 90% of the time) anyway they want. However, unlike DOTA that really isn't the optimal way to play most champs.

There is a nice recommended node you can select from the champions tab when you check your profile. Overall they are pretty good for starting. But if you are about specializing then you might want to focus your IP towards those champs. Also very rarely will you see these basic champs played at higher levels because other champions basically do what they do but better and more.

Annie is the most basic mage in the game and still one of the most powerful. Has a stun mechanic and a nuke that if kills target gives 100% mana back.

Ashe is the most basic AD carry that plays very close to Drow. However that only ends when it comes to her ability to slow opponents. You aren't getting a silence or increased damage.

Warwick is the basic jungler. He is similar to bloodseeker in terms of pursuing low hp opponents and can sustain himself for each attack.

Also you are 100% reliant on items. There is no base stat increase that you get to choose for a level. So if you play a 100% physical dmg scaling champ like Garen it is very much a bad decision to buy any items with AP because they don't do anything.

The Heroes of Newerth community is even more like this. It's not considered bad by those who play it. They consider trash-talk a meta-game and it isn't any bad unless people try to ruin the game by doing instead of talking. New players don't usually understand this.

It is even almost encouraged by the dev team. Whenever the devs play, them shouting racial profanities is not rare. There is no moderation for trash-talk at all. Honcast, the official webcast of high-tier matches, is a way for many to learn the newest innovative insults.

ParanoidEngineer:

Well if you tell me what you want out of the roles and I could give you better advice eg if you want a utility or gank heavy jungler. Also say if you want to play ranked or not.

OT: I enjoyed the review it was pretty good. I've enjoyed playing LoL a lot and from the limited time I've spent with Dota 2 so far(still need to give it a bit more time and effort to say for sure) it doesn't match up in my opinion. It is so far my preferred moba.

The thing with League in its current state is that Riot, with season 3, wanted to open up a more diverse item gameplay. They said they really wanted to create several different starting paradigms which they succeeded quite well with, only to then nerf every single one of these. They first had the Flask start, though this one really did require a nerf since it was way too cheap. With flask nerfed there was the 9-12 pots and wards start, which will be nerfed with an upper limit of 5 for pots. Next we had the Fort Pot start that is getting a nerf as well with the cost increase of said pot.

So in the end we will basically be back to a few goto starting paradigms, the complete opposite of what they wanted to begin with.

ParanoidEngineer:

If you by "carries" mean AD carries then I'd recommend (as an ADC player myself) Caitlyn if you wish for a really strong and fun champion with tons of nifty tricks, Vayne for the hard carry type that's also fun to play and allows for quite some big plays or Miss Fortune who in season 3 could be called the "easy mode ADC".

As for junglers, if you want to have tons of fun, Volibear or Vi. If you just want to be way too strong, Xin Zhao.

I'm probably the worst mid player on EUW so I wouldn't take my word for anything mid related, but Ryze is a pretty strong AP champion, while Zed/Kha'zix works most of the time as well.

Glademaster:

ParanoidEngineer:

Well if you tell me what you want out of the roles and I could give you better advice eg if you want a utility or gank heavy jungler. Also say if you want to play ranked or not.

OT: I enjoyed the review it was pretty good. I've enjoyed playing LoL a lot and from the limited time I've spent with Dota 2 so far(still need to give it a bit more time and effort to say for sure) it doesn't match up in my opinion. It is so far my preferred moba.

Well the junglers I usually play in DotA are good in a variety of roles, although mainly pushing or teamfights. I'd rather not play a hero who is 90% ganking and 10% everything else, I'm more of a utility player.

It is a very addictive game. It's just frustrating that you can essentially lose the game before it has even started if one of your allies decides to do something ridiculous (support with no wards = gg bot lane).

A lot of people complain about balance. Honestly, it's kind of ridiculous. Unless we're talking Diamond ELO and up, ever champion is viable. If you're good with your champion, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to defeat your lane opponent unless they are simply better or they have picked a champion that counters yours.

There are a few exceptions to this where some champions are simply too weak but there's only a few of those. Likewise, there are some champions that are better at exploiting common lower level mistakes. Hecarim will punish lower level players who do not have as much map awareness because he can run by your ward and you may not notice until it's too late.

LoL is okay, but I've switched to Dota 2 and haven't looked back. There's better variety in the heroes, the metagame is more fluid and open to differing tactics, better graphics, the core gameplay has greater depth, etc.

League is a decent starting point, it's more fun to start, mostly because the initial difficulty curve is certainly less steep, but if you ever start feeling like it's shallow or it's missing something, come join Dota 2. We have more hats.

ParanoidEngineer:

Draven is hard to start with. Range is not incredible and really relies on catching his own skillshots properly. When done improperly it makes you predictable or not catching them makes you weak. Also has no escapes and requires expensive items in late game. Easy ranged champs would be Vayne, Tristana, Caitlyn. Plenty of escapes and firepower, also easy lasthitters.

holdthephone:
You're not wrong, but they have to leave some kind of incentive for people to spend money. I've played for a couple of years now and only own about 1/3rd of the cast through IP, which while not very responsible of me, is enough for me to play semi-seriously on ladder. Truthfully, I don't even want the others. But the nice thing about the model is that as a free player, the experience is in no way limited or watered down. I'm still playing the same game and on equal footing with everyone else, I just have less champ options. I don't own every mage in the game, but I don't need to in order to win my games. People who buy or grind out all the champions always struck me as having a short attention span. I main 1-3 champs and change flavors every month or so.

With the ever so swiftly Riot changing a champ from completely useless to broken OP (hi remade ulti Evelynn a while back, DFG+Ult 80% HP nuke), it actually does matter which champ you do not own. Especially in ranked. There are set setups of teams that will stomp everything else most of the time and your favorite picks are not always even remotely viable against them. You're not on equal footing as long as you do not have the same choice as your enemy. Even if you could technically buy your way to it.

What I don't like is how runes can't be bought with money, which means you have to grind them out just to be able to play the game properly at a higher level. I think that's a bigger problem and one I don't quite understand.

The whole concept of buying power- regardless of anyone eventually being able to buy that power is that it disallows you to play the game properly until a certain point many months in. Mathematically, there is one type of Rune/Mastery setup for each champ that is the best. The guy that has all the game's mechanics worked out will always have the upper hand on the dude that just has the regular AD Marks and Quints, Armor Seals and so on. Again there is no diversity, merely one right way, much like items in terms of efficiency, so there is actually no point to the entire system.

Buying champs and the seemingly random costs they have (certainly not ranked by difficulty, fun to play or power) is also annoying. Making champs unavailable and thus not allowing the community to become good with them invites the unexperienced picks. Even after several thousand games, I still encountered people that had not played certain champs at all. It's fairly sad. And even if you did want to, LoL's metagame is so stuck up it's own asshole that you are very limited to the role you pick. You /also/ picked an AD carry? "you #$&$, #&*@ your mother" is the typical response.

Also, what's up with no surrender before 20 mins? Gah!

Thanks for reading, by the way.

People give up too quickly. 4v5s can still be won.

holdthephone:

It's nice on the eyes to me, but to each his own, I suppose. Some champions are still hideous (Kassadin, Sivir), but hopefully they'll get reworks sometime soon.

Bit too bright imo. Winter map (Riot logic: Snow = pasty flat white on everything) used to kill my eyes.
For the poor performance the game has in terms of FPS, the graphics don't hold up. It's a resource hog and several people complained that the darkening of the map (Noct ult) lagged them or froze the game. I too noticed an FPS drop when that happened. Those arbitrary gfx and a darkening effect on an i7 with a GTX580 should not hinder it one bit. Adobe Flash and it's inbred cousin Adobe AIR have bad performance.

Runes/masteries are mostly arbitrary additions. The F2P model is the only reason they even exist (player incentive). Items, too, fall under a routine instead of presenting actual options to the player. I don't think LoL is terribly deep or interesting in regards that type of customization, so you'd be right, but then I don't think it's a game that relies on those elements to begin with. If anything it relies on those options staying as simple and limited as they are. Certainly much of LoL's appeal is how basic it is, ya?

Which is a mistake, especially on how item reliant everything is. In Dota 2, most skills don't scale with stats at all and even mages gain damage on-hit from gaining their respective stat (example, 100AP would give Annie +100 auto atk damage if it were Dota, but not +<ridiculous scaling here> on all her spells)

Of course it relies on items, that's the core of the entire game. If item builds weren't important, they could simply be replaced with natural stat growth, like other itemless games work it out. You need items to do anything. There are a lot of items, just not a lot of good ones to choose from. There are literally dozens of items that are mathematically wastes of money and aren't used.

As for LoL ripping off of DotA, I don't see how that's relevant. There's nothing inherently bad about that, is there? Starcraft has some Warhammer influence, but who cares?

Influence != ripping off. Traxex and Ashe being the perfect example. Even funnier is how kids were accusing Dota 2 stealing from LoL, haha.

ParanoidEngineer:

Glademaster:

ParanoidEngineer:

Well the junglers I usually play in DotA are good in a variety of roles, although mainly pushing or teamfights. I'd rather not play a hero who is 90% ganking and 10% everything else, I'm more of a utility player.

Well then you could try jungling with people like

As for mids

For Carries for mentioned(mix of botlane ranged ADC and other)

I may have left out some and those are long lists to show you most of the options and opinion based(so take suggestions from others) if I had to do a short list of 3 for each
Jungle: Nasus, Cho Gath and Amumu(if you aren't bothered about not playing him in draft/ranked otherwise Maokai)
Mid: Lux, Ryze and Akali
Carries: Jax, Caitlyn, Ashe but get Tristana as she is free

Some of these may not do as well in the current meta but it is a good idea to try them when they come up for free or buy some of the cheaper ones.

I quite like League of Legends despite my general distaste for isometric strategy games. The problems that people talk about, like verbally abusive players, I haven't experienced nearly as much and is no worse than any other game in my opinion. I also couldn't care less about competitive. I play the game quite casually and am still not level 30 despite playing it for a good part of a year.

I get how DOTA2 players don't like the game for being simplified, but that's the reason I prefer LoL. Dota2 is complex in a competitive sense to the point of if you haven't the mental capacity for the complexities or simply haven't mastered them, it comes off too difficult and discouraging.

P.S LEAGUE OF DRAVEN. That is all.

About the only thing LoL (And to a bigger extent, WoW) has changed about me is that I tend to be a jerk to people who want everything told directly to them. I have directly trolled someone who started a DK, ans since I played a DK and was the highest melee DPS in our guild, he wanted me to teach him.

After a few weeks of him begging me to help him out (and me directing him to some example specs/rotation/theory-crafting pages which I looked through to learn to play.) I got frustrated and this was the conversation.

Him: Hey, do you have a minute?
Me: I'm a bit busy, I'll answer one question
Him: Why one question?
Me: Because I'm very busy and I'm getting annoyed with you constantly bugging me.
/ignore

I got a tell from our guild "Mistress" (She wasn't the leader, but everyone outside of the guild thought she was.) telling me I need to be nicer to the new recruits.

About the only trolling I'll do on LoL is if we're in a no-win situation (3v5 and down by dozens of kills), I'll either sell all my gear and by nothing but boots, or items that have no benefit on the hero I'm playing (Manamune on Shen for example.) There have also been times that I would sell off all my gear right before a win, and than act like I helped win without items.

I'm one of the few people that only calls people out if they do something downright retarded. Like a friend of mine... I'm roaming and I see a team fight about to happen, except it's a 1v5. My friend sees it, and decides "I'm going to join in too" and rushes in before me (The tank), and when he gets melted he'll blame me for not jumping in in time. Of course not, he pulled the heat off our escaping ally already, no need for me to rush in and die (2v5 when it's a tank and a squishy character STILL isn't viable most times)

He doesn't understand why I only play bot games with him anymore.

Glademaster:
snip

Darius and Hecarim are not carries, lol. Even if you pubstomp and get 20/0/20 with them, they're still not carries.

Carry is a holdover term from Dota, where a champion gets "carried" early game and turns into an unstoppable 1v5 killing machine that "carries" the team late game.

Most ranged carries are fairly weak early game, whereas characters like Hecarim and Darius are strong early game. This is fairly evident by Hecarim shining mostly in early/midgame ganks and Darius shining in the same phases because of the lesser need of items to do well. As opposed to Ashe, who has the worst base damage and range for an ADC in game (lowest base AD of all champs I believe) and obviously will need to be carried.

ItsNotRudy:

Glademaster:
snip

Darius and Hecarim are not carries, lol. Even if you pubstomp and get 20/0/20 with them, they're still not carries.

Carry is a holdover term from Dota, where a champion gets "carried" early game and turns into an unstoppable 1v5 killing machine that "carries" the team late game.

Most ranged carries are fairly weak early game, whereas characters like Hecarim and Darius are strong early game. This is fairly evident by Hecarim shining mostly in early/midgame ganks and Darius shining in the same phases because of the lesser need of items to do well. As opposed to Ashe, who has the worst base damage and range for an ADC in game (lowest base AD of all champs I believe) and obviously will need to be carried.

Ok fine an execution ability where you can hit 700+ true damage with no damage items essentially able to take a slightly under half health ADC out of the game isn't something that can carry. Neither is AoE procs from Red buff/Spirit of the Lizard Elder on top of charging into the enemy team soaking tons of damage while constantly sticking to MVP and dealing good consistent aoe damage is also unable to carry. Then she does get the highest base AS at level 18 so it balances out.

Hecarim's initial ganking is good but not great if you can't use his E right. It only becomes great after he gets his ultimate and tanky items on top of somewhat bypassing wards with his speed and stay under tower if needed. Mid game unless he is fed, he is not great but starting to get good. Depending on his early this can be his strongest point bu the never really drops off. Also you don't take Hecarim for early ganks. There are more than a few junglers that have much better early ganks than Hecarim.

Darius gets a massive spike in power at 6 and he only drops in usefulness when people build health very late game and can still nullify an opposing squishy if he pulls them. He is very fragile if he gets ganked and either needs a bad opponent or a good gank to get in a position to do well. Darius is one of my favorite top lanes to gank and shit on early.

Also your Ashe information is wrong for early game. A fair few ADCs start with roughly equivalent AD(Most lying within 2 points either side she just has worse AD scaling) and she has the second highest range early with Trist and Kog Maw over taking her later. On top of a good level one burst with passive and W to abuse bad laners and for level 1 team fights. Aside, from that she does have a worse early compared to other ADCs. So her AD ends up lower but this is not Dota and LoL does not scale off sats as much as items. At level 18 she is lower than the highest base AD by 10 and is lower than most by 5 AD.

Glademaster:

Ok fine an execution ability where you can hit 700+ true damage with no damage items essentially able to take a slightly under half health ADC out of the game isn't something that can carry. Neither is AoE procs from Red buff/Spirit of the Lizard Elder on top of charging into the enemy team soaking tons of damage while constantly sticking to MVP and dealing good consistent aoe damage is also unable to carry. Then she does get the highest base AS at level 18 so it balances out.

Aside from Darius being a fairly broken addition to the game, I don't think you know what the term carry means. The character in question needs some other champion to carry them (like a Taric/Ali would do for a Trist or Ashe) through their weak early game, so they can carry the team at the latest stage of the game. Your example of the linear damage Darius gains tells you exactly why he does not qualify to be called a carry. Not being a carry does not mean you can't do well, or have the best scores. You just don't fit the criteria, just like having 1/0/6 on a mage makes you a support for example.

Darius is also fairly reliant on his ult, without it, he is not that impressive, regardless of the items obtained, which is what sets him apart from being a carry also. His entire kit is falls off without the ulti to score cheap triple kills.

Hecarim's initial ganking is good but not great if you can't use his E right. It only becomes great after he gets his ultimate and tanky items on top of somewhat bypassing wards with his speed and stay under tower if needed. Mid game unless he is fed, he is not great but starting to get good. Depending on his early this can be his strongest point bu the never really drops off. Also you don't take Hecarim for early ganks. There are more than a few junglers that have much better early ganks than Hecarim.

This still does not make a carry though. He doesn't need anyone to gain money/EXP and he never becomes a ridiculous powerhouse with 1200 DPS, rather more of a disrupting/tanking unit.

Darius gets a massive spike in power at 6 and he only drops in usefulness when people build health very late game and can still nullify an opposing squishy if he pulls them. He is very fragile if he gets ganked and either needs a bad opponent or a good gank to get in a position to do well. Darius is one of my favorite top lanes to gank and shit on early.

Problem with LoL is that one ward pretty much covers you from being ganked. Solo laning or any type of laning is fairly safe.

Also your Ashe information is wrong for early game. A fair few ADCs start with roughly equivalent AD(Most lying within 2 points either side she just has worse AD scaling) and she has the second highest range early with Trist and Kog Maw over taking her later. On top of a good level one burst with passive and W to abuse bad laners and for level 1 team fights. Aside, from that she does have a worse early compared to other ADCs. So her AD ends up lower but this is not Dota and LoL does not scale off sats as much as items. At level 18 she is lower than the highest base AD by 10 and is lower than most by 5 AD.

Ashe starts off 5AD less than most carries, which is a whopping 10%, making it harder to last hit and to trade. After all, they have to hit you 9 times, where you need to hit them 10 times to make it an even trade. 5AD or so below most other carries and does not have any steroids. So against her we have the other popular picks like Draven, Graves, MF who all have higher base AD and AS steroids to boot. She just doesn't match up in a lane fight and needs a good babysitter.

The Wykydtron:

The thing with Annie is she probably doesn't need any health taking a GP on full health to her half if she has her ult. She can just cast Stun Bear and you can't even respond in time before you get melted. Yet nobody plays her. Odd.

GP is probably a bad example seeing as he can just eat an orange and remove the stun.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here