Step Brothers (movie review)

**I've been reviewing movies for a year and a half. This is simply just the first one I've posted here. I hope you enjoy it.

In my pursuit of becoming a legitimate and beloved writer, I feel it's necessary to write about things I hate with the same compassion that I write about things I enjoy. Keeping this in mind, I walked into Step Brothers, a movie I knew for absolute certain that I was going to hate, in order to put that thought into practice. I was not looking to be pleasantly surprised, nor was I looking to entertain such puerile and embarrassing material with kind words and reassurances. I walked into Step Brothers looking for something to destroy. I wanted something I could dismantle without a bias. Something to legitimately and passionately breakdown without betraying my cold objective stance on film, and to a broader extent, art. In this regard only is Step Brothers a roaring success. It is a reprehensible failure in every other aspect.

Step Brothers is a film about two grown men who live at home with their newlywed parents, Will Ferrell belonging to the mother of the partnership, and John C. Reilly belonging to the father. As soon as the four of them sit down for the first time together, the movie becomes a predictable cycle of typical family conflicts that escalate to no significant climax. The brothers hate each other, the brothers love each other, the brothers become a burden to their parents, the parents split up, the brothers wonder if it was their fault, the brothers grow up, the parents get back together, the brothers resume being man children, etc. etc.

Despite the relative simplicity, the plot has potential for poignancy as there is a lot of room for genuine character driven drama, as well as the obvious comedic prospects in fraternal love and rivalry. Step Brothers could've been funny and heartfelt. Instead it's just inane and shallow, slapping depth in the face because it's apparently too much to aspire to.

But Step Brothers isn't merely content to rubbing it's testicles on decent material that has yet to be tapped. Step Brothers seeks to systematically destroy everything that makes a film passable, let alone good or excellent. There is no cohesion as the film essentially plays out like an overlong episode of Jackass that is somehow miraculously more shallow. Nonsensical comedic set pieces are introduced and dismissed with an odd rhythm, and the film lacks a distinct flow that keeps it moving because of this. There is no character to like or admire because the world of Step Brothers is apparently one where everyone is in a crippling state of arrested development. Whatever energy exists between the antics of Ferrell and Reilly aren't so much rebounded and kept afloat by their costars so much as it's just consumed, digested, and defecated. Perhaps worst of all is that there is no tangible idea or moral concept to grasp because just as there's a time when you have to grow up and act your age is being presented as the clear theme for the bulk of the film, just be yourself even if you're an oafish idiot sweeps in during the last ten minutes with a knock out punch.

Step Brothers has no idea was it wants to be, so it settles for being little more than a collection of unfunny lines and phrases that will undoubtedly be echoed for years by the same YouTube generation that thinks putting "I Love Lamp" on a T-shirt is hilarious. It's poorly executed and a sloppy mess in general. If the material were approached differently, the crude humour would've worked in the films favour. Instead, it just glorifies the problems of the film, and the whole thing is completely satisfied falling as far away from being a good movie as possible.

Maet:
**I've been reviewing movies for a year and a half. This is simply just the first one I've posted here. I hope you enjoy it.

In my pursuit of becoming a legitimate and beloved writer, I feel it's necessary to write about things I hate with the same compassion that I write about things I enjoy. Keeping this in mind, I walked into Step Brothers, a movie I knew for absolute certain that I was going to hate, in order to put that thought into practice. I was not looking to be pleasantly surprised, nor was I looking to entertain such puerile and embarrassing material with kind words and reassurances. I walked into Step Brothers looking for something to destroy. I wanted something I could dismantle without a bias. Something to legitimately and passionately breakdown without betraying my cold objective stance on film, and to a broader extent, art. In this regard only is Step Brothers a roaring success. It is a reprehensible failure in every other aspect.

Step Brothers is a film about two grown men who live at home with their newlywed parents, Will Ferrell belonging to the mother of the partnership, and John C. Reilly belonging to the father. As soon as the four of them sit down for the first time together, the movie becomes a predictable cycle of typical family conflicts that escalate to no significant climax. The brothers hate each other, the brothers love each other, the brothers become a burden to their parents, the parents split up, the brothers wonder if it was their fault, the brothers grow up, the parents get back together, the brothers resume being man children, etc. etc.

Despite the relative simplicity, the plot has potential for poignancy as there is a lot of room for genuine character driven drama, as well as the obvious comedic prospects in fraternal love and rivalry. Step Brothers could've been funny and heartfelt. Instead it's just inane and shallow, slapping depth in the face because it's apparently too much to aspire to.

But Step Brothers isn't merely content to rubbing it's testicles on decent material that has yet to be tapped. Step Brothers seeks to systematically destroy everything that makes a film passable, let alone good or excellent. There is no cohesion as the film essentially plays out like an overlong episode of Jackass that is somehow miraculously more shallow. Nonsensical comedic set pieces are introduced and dismissed with an odd rhythm, and the film lacks a distinct flow that keeps it moving because of this. There is no character to like or admire because the world of Step Brothers is apparently one where everyone is in a crippling state of arrested development. Whatever energy exists between the antics of Ferrell and Reilly aren't so much rebounded and kept afloat by their costars so much as it's just consumed, digested, and defecated. Perhaps worst of all is that there is no tangible idea or moral concept to grasp because just as there's a time when you have to grow up and act your age is being presented as the clear theme for the bulk of the film, just be yourself even if you're an oafish idiot sweeps in during the last ten minutes with a knock out punch.

Step Brothers has no idea was it wants to be, so it settles for being little more than a collection of unfunny lines and phrases that will undoubtedly be echoed for years by the same YouTube generation that thinks putting "I Love Lamp" on a T-shirt is hilarious. It's poorly executed and a sloppy mess in general. If the material were approached differently, the crude humour would've worked in the films favour. Instead, it just glorifies the problems of the film, and the whole thing is completely satisfied falling as far away from being a good movie as possible.

Am I the only person on this earth that wishes will ferrel would die and stop making movies like this over and over?Also those spoof movies should go get fucked with him..

My goodness someone hates something.

And I bet that someone is you and that something is Step Brothers.

meatloaf231:

They are better films about brothers, Take Four Brothers for example. Its about 4 orphans brought together by a mom they were so bad no one would take them so she did. None the less instead of being serial killers they are mostly normal people. The mum dies and they go on a fuck brooklyn lets pop these motherfuckers spree. It shows many things that brothers do for each other this film just comes off as trying to make people laugh and then straining it together by story moments that are as interesting as a mans balls jiggling.

Bulletinmybrain:

meatloaf231:

They are better films about brothers, Take Four Brothers for example. Its about 4 orphans brought together by a mom they were so bad no one would take them so she did. None the less instead of being serial killers they are mostly normal people. The mum dies and they go on a fuck brooklyn lets pop these motherfuckers spree. It shows many things that brothers do for each other this film just comes off as trying to make people laugh and then straining it together by story moments that are as interesting as a mans balls jiggling.

I've seen it and it is a quality film, yes it is.

Yeah, Four Brothers was pretty frackin' sweet.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked