Lord Krunk Reviews: The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello

Please provide some constructive criticism to this review; it is one of my first, and with my intention to make more, I would love to know what I should change/remove/improve.

Thank you.

LORD KRUNK REVIEWS: THE MYSTERIOUS GEOGRAPHIC EXPLORATIONS of JASPER MORELLO

In a world of iron dirigibles and steam powered computers, this gothic horror mystery tells the story of Jasper Morello, a disgraced aerial navigator who flees his Plague-ridden home on a desperate voyage to redeem himself. The chance discovery of an abandoned dirigible leads Jasper through unchartered waters to an island on which lives a terrifying creature that may be the cure for the Plague. The journey back to civilization is filled with horrors but in a shocking climax, Jasper discovers that the greatest horror of all lies within man himself.
Set in the dark silhouette world of the Shadowlands, "Jasper Morello" is an epic steampunk adventure in the gothic tradition of Jules Verne and Edgar Allan Poe."

- The Blurb

The Mysterious Geographical Explorations of Jasper Morello (Or, due to upcoming sequels, Jasper Morello and the Lost Airship), is an Australian silhouette animation inspired by the works of Edgar Allan Poe. It was released in 2005, and has since won a multitude of awards, and has even been nominated for the 2005 Academy Award for Best Short Film. It also just happens to be one of my favourite short films.

Jasper Morello:
"One degree is not a large distance; on a compass it is scarcely the thickness of a fingernail. But, in certain conditions, one degree can be a very large distance. Enough to unmake a man."

My main reason for enjoying this film would mainly be its unique style and artwork. If you watch it, you will notice the multitudes of elaborate mechanisms. Hence the cogs on my avatar.

Another aspect would be the creativity. There is so much in this film to interest; from the rather interesting main menu to the theme song of the film.

The Main Page. Different, huh?

Anyway, enough of my praise, let's get down to business.

The film shows a lot of innovation in design, architecture and the Victorian gothic horror theme in a steampunk world. In fact, I would go so far as to say that without the innovation, his film could be deemed Sci-Fi Horror.
A pile of skulls in a refrigerator on an abandoned ship in uncharted airspace. See what I mean?

The story is well-worded and put through; however, I would have to nitpick as to a lot of explantion is still needed. For example; what happened on the ship to make it abandoned?
Another thing that agitates me is the aftermath of the ending; I will not go into this because I refuse to give spoilers.

The film's graphics, however, I can find few problems with, besides the effect of having silhouette characters in a 3D landscape, which tends to look a bit jumpy in parts.

In particular, special praise goes to a particular character, Dr. Claude Belgon, who makes an excellent philosophical counterpart to Jasper.

Claude Belgon. Like Kleiner, but evil

That is all I really have to say on the subject, except for the fact that I am giving it Lord Krunk's Seal of Approval (Shut up, I'm making one).

Watch it, given the chance. You can probably even see it on Youtube, although I don't know how lucky you'll be.

9/10 copyright symbols from me.
©©©©©©©©©
Yesss...My Preciousss.....

EDIT: Sorry Mods. Didn't know that.

This looks like an interesting film. Very interesting art direction, even if steampunk doesn't make much technological sense. Still, I might well check this out.

As for the review itself, I like the style. It's technically well-written, although I'd prefer if you could work in your own blurb for the movie rather than using the one that they used, and worked in that quote into a flowing piece of prose.

RAKtheUndead:
As for the review itself, I like the style. It's technically well-written, although I'd prefer if you could work in your own blurb for the movie rather than using the one that they used, and worked in that quote into a flowing piece of prose.

Thanks! As for the blurb, I would have put in my own, except it was really tricky to avoid spoilers.

As for prose; I'll work on that.

Wow I thought I was the only one who loved this.
It's truly excellent and your review does it justice.

Wow, I've had a shot from that movie as my BG at home for ages, I had no idea it was from a movie. Where the heck does one find this film?

PedroSteckecilo:
Wow, I've had a shot from that movie as my BG at home for ages, I had no idea it was from a movie. Where the heck does one find this film?

Various places, I own it in a collection of Australian short films that is in my DVD compartment.

Here's the DVD cover, to help a bit.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked