Lord Krunk Reviews: WALL-E

Deleted temporarily. This post will return soon.

I loved this movie. And it's yet another step from Pixar away from the child audience and towards the adults. Which I don't think is a bad thing.

Pixar's film always give you that little warm feeling in yourself.

BUT, I think Yahtzee gave a fair retrospective of Pixar's movies

Quote from his personnal site: One or more lovable protagonists have existed for some time in a stable but fundamentally flawed routine, which is shaken up by the introduction of a foreign entity, usually another character, around whom attitudes are initially hostile. Attempts to deal with this character eventually lead to the protagonist(s) discovering a new, unfamiliar world, and in doing so discover the nature of the fundamental flaw in their routine. Villains are usually introduced or only become truly villainous from around the mid-point or quite late into the film. Along the way the heroes enlist the help of various lesser characters with clearly definable quirks and at one point reluctantly enter a high-speed chase. The villain is generally finally defeated with surprising ease, and everything concludes in an emotionally manipulative ending in which routine is restored with the fundamental flaw excised.

I loved WALL-E too but because all the robots reminded me of other robots from other films.

Like AUTO is Hal from 2001 a Space Odyssey

WALL-E is Johnny 5

EVE is Maxwell from the Black Hole

It's the best Pixar film so far in my opinion.

I have yet to see this..

Nice review Krunk, and don't aim your rage at me, had we really been tied like Nil thought we were, you would have won in the tie-breaker vote by one, I just got more votes in the beginning and you got more in the end.

Quote from his personnal site: One or more lovable protagonists have existed for some time in a stable but fundamentally flawed routine, which is shaken up by the introduction of a foreign entity, usually another character, around whom attitudes are initially hostile. Attempts to deal with this character eventually lead to the protagonist(s) discovering a new, unfamiliar world, and in doing so discover the nature of the fundamental flaw in their routine. Villains are usually introduced or only become truly villainous from around the mid-point or quite late into the film. Along the way the heroes enlist the help of various lesser characters with clearly definable quirks and at one point reluctantly enter a high-speed chase. The villain is generally finally defeated with surprising ease, and everything concludes in an emotionally manipulative ending in which routine is restored with the fundamental flaw excised.

Not the case with Wall-E. Parts of it sure but there are too many holes to lump Pixar's latest under that. Previous films though, certainly.

This is the first film I have ever seen that had a main character (AUTO) voiced by a computer voice. (Stephen Hawking exempt.) AUTO was voiced by a Mac-n-Talk. I have this crazy idea to replace his voice with Microsoft Sam...

Spartan Bannana:
Nice review Krunk, and don't aim your rage at me, had we really been tied like Nil thought we were, you would have won in the tie-breaker vote by one, I just got more votes in the beginning and you got more in the end.

I'm not directing rage, I'm just nicked off at the fact that I didn't qualify due to a technicality.

I'm actually quite happy that my review even made it that far.

EDIT: Also, I never expected to win anyway.

I laughed a lot when Wall-E recharged. I love this movie, and was not disappointed.

I disagree that the film is too short, and your aside that movies in general are becoming shorter and shorter. I think Wall-E was the perfect length as opposed to last year's Ratatouille that, as brilliant as it was, dragged a bit in the end. I don't see why movies need to run long or be cut short to meet the 100 minute average. A good movie doesn't waste a scene, whether it's 20 scenes or 200.

Now to rate the Pixar films (from favourite to least favourite) because I'm just such a big Pixar nut:

Monsters Inc.
The Incredibles
Wall E
Toy Story
Ratatouille
Finding Nemo
Cars
A Bug's Life
Toy Story 2

Also, as excellent as Presto was, For The Birds is still my favourite short (no surprises there).

Maet:
I laughed a lot when Wall-E recharged. I love this movie, and was not disappointed.

I disagree that the film is too short, and your aside that movies in general are becoming shorter and shorter. I think Wall-E was the perfect length as opposed to last year's Ratatouille that, as brilliant as it was, dragged a bit in the end. I don't see why movies need to run long or be cut short to meet the 100 minute average. A good movie doesn't waste a scene, whether it's 20 scenes or 200.

Now to rate the Pixar films (from favourite to least favourite) because I'm just such a big Pixar nut:

Monsters Inc.
The Incredibles
Wall E
Toy Story
Ratatouille
Finding Nemo
Cars
A Bug's Life
Toy Story 2

Also, as excellent as Presto was, For The Birds is still my favourite short (no surprises there).

I told you most people would disagree.

Anyway, I would have ranked them like this:

Wall E
Toy Story
Ratatouille
Finding Nemo
The Incredibles
Monsters Inc.
Cars
A Bug's Life
Toy Story 2

Also, my favourite short was Geri's Game. But I found that Presto gave the movie an extra boost in atmosphere, so it gains bonus points.

Good review. I loved WALL-E as well, fantastic movie. I even have a little plush WALL-E ^^

First off: Excellent review Lord Krunk. Matched my feelings exactly.

But I had one beef with this film, and it's something that I cant really complain about.
Whilst going into this film, I knew it was a marketed as a kid's film, and getting my hopes up about something completely left field was abosolutely absurd of an idea, but this film had genuinely made me identify and empathise with the characters, and the ending of the film could have absolutely blown my socks of if it had gone in the darker direction. (Those who have seen it will know what I'm on about)
To toy with the idea of identity and personality so well (which Pixar should be mightly proud of, mainly because most people I meet instantly think I'm a jaded misanthrope with nothing better to do than nitpick every piece of modern culture) the inevitable 'kid friendly' end was one of the most unsatifying things I've ever witnessed, much like whenever I hit the town insearch of female company.

Without giving too much away, if Pixar had of left the kiddies crying over their beloved hero, it would have filled my heart with glee, because
A) It would show that Pixar have the balls to do something other than kid's films;
and
B) It felt like the natural way to do things.

Despite this, WALL-E will probably end up on my list of top films of 2008, due to the fact that I felt more emotion for a character with a six word vocabulary than most serious hollywood films that are released.

--ninja

The last Pixar movie I saw was The Incredibles, I need to see this and Ratatouille.

Whilst going into this film, I knew it was a marketed as a kid's film, and getting my hopes up about something completely left field was abosolutely absurd of an idea, but this film had genuinely made me identify and empathise with the characters, and the ending of the film could have absolutely blown my socks of if it had gone in the darker direction. (Those who have seen it will know what I'm on about)

Artistically I understand wanting to stick with the darker ending, but realistically, that probably would have ruined my entire week.

famousninja:
First off: Excellent review Lord Krunk. Matched my feelings exactly.

But I had one beef with this film, and it's something that I cant really complain about.
To toy with the idea of identity and personality so well (which Pixar should be mightly proud of, mainly because most people I meet instantly think I'm a jaded misanthrope with nothing better to do than nitpick every piece of modern culture) the inevitable 'kid friendly' end was one of the most unsatifying things I've ever witnessed, much like whenever I hit the town insearch of female company.

Without giving too much away, if Pixar had of left the kiddies crying over their beloved hero, it would have filled my heart with glee, because
A) It would show that Pixar have the balls to do something other than kid's films;
and
B) It felt like the natural way to do things.

Despite this, WALL-E will probably end up on my list of top films of 2008, due to the fact that I felt more emotion for a character with a six word vocabulary than most serious hollywood films that are released.

--ninja

Actually, I agree entirely. However, I can only wonder: Can Pixar do something so bold?

Eh, I will watch it when my younger sister rents it and secretly enjoy it. As I did with finding nemo. Good review by the way.

...Moine!

TaboriHK:

Artistically I understand wanting to stick with the darker ending, but realistically, that probably would have ruined my entire week.

Heck even with the happy ending it ruined my next day! I seriously woke up, thought of WALL-E, and started crying for no reason(I still can't think of why). In all this is my favorite film, and if they made a tv series or sequel I would cry gleefully even though I know continuation is the death of everything(except Back to the Future).

Lord Krunk:
Actually, I agree entirely. However, I can only wonder: Can Pixar do something so bold?

I think it's rather bold that they didn't do it. Pixar isn't exactly a stranger to the more mature hooks to reel in an older audience, as evidenced by Linguini getting hammered with his boss after work in Ratatouille, or the mild genocide within the first five minutes of Finding Nemo. The Incredibles was especially edgy, what with all the curvy skin tight suits and balls out action sequences.

Personally, if Wall-E ended on a low note, I think it would be just too much of a departure for Pixar. Never mind the fact that it's a veritable shopping mall of ideas and commentaries as it stands.

An excellent review, and I don't just say this because I'm an admitted WALL-E fanboy. Of course, any review that gives attention to the short at the beginning as well is admirable, even the "professional" reviewers don't do that. Presto isn't quite as good as "Boundin'" but it's right up there. Probably the second best.
I do disagree about the film's length, though. I think it's an excellent length. It means it's fast-paced and doesn't outstay its welcome. To me, the SIGN of a really good movie is that it keeps you wanting more.
Nice job at going into a fair bit of depth without giving away too much of the plot, too. It's rare to see a review (of anything) that does that, sadly.
But you left out how absolutely awesome it is that the first third of this movie contains almost no dialogue. A kid's movie with no dialogue for the first third.

(and to the people who complained that the ending wasn't dark enough: WALL-E was going to get repaired by a bunch of fanfiction writers anyway, so Pixar probably just decided to avert that. ;-) )

Now, an obligatory jab at Yahtzee for criticizing it:

Yahtzee:
One or more lovable protagonists have existed for some time in a stable but fundamentally flawed routine, which is shaken up by the introduction of a foreign entity, usually another character, around whom attitudes are initially hostile. Attempts to deal with this character eventually lead to the protagonist(s) discovering a new, unfamiliar world, and in doing so discover the nature of the fundamental flaw in their routine. Villains are usually introduced or only become truly villainous from around the mid-point or quite late into the film. Along the way the heroes enlist the help of various lesser characters with clearly definable quirks and at one point reluctantly enter a high-speed chase. The villain is generally finally defeated with surprising ease, and everything concludes in an emotionally manipulative ending in which routine is restored with the fundamental flaw excised.

Except... in WALL-E, the routine ISN'T restored with just one fundamental flaw removed. The whole point of WALL-E's ending is that EVERYTHING changes.
Also, the protagonist doesn't "discover the nature of the fundamental flaw." WALL-E has no idea what's wrong with life on the Axiom. His entire motivation is his crush on EVE, he doesn't even realize that he's accidentally snapping everyone he meets out of their stupor.
Then again, Yahtzee doesn't actually say whether or not he liked it (he dodges the question with the old "objective quality aside" cop-out), so I'm wondering if he might have liked it more than he's willing to admit. Bad review get all the attention.

Sylocat:
But you left out how absolutely awesome it is that the first third of this movie contains almost no dialogue. A kid's movie with no dialogue for the first third.

Me:
Where the movie was quite minimalist, in which there was little dialogue throughout, it actually gave the world of WALL-E a life of it's own, and you really felt for the characters, their emotions linking with your own.

I sorta did, but it wasn't that well worded and was hard to see.

Thanks for the compliments, though!

Gah, I need to see this. Good review, you just made me want to se it more.

The only thing i could think of through the entire film was.

"If the autopilot offered cake to WALL-E... my life would be complete"

GLaDOS will still remain the greatest ever robot villain.

Wall-E is without doubt pixars best and let me tell you it was actually beautiful. Wall-e is my fifth favourite movie of all time.

I need to review Pixar itself once UP comes out.

I have to agree with everyone else here, Wall-E is probably Pixar's best movie to date. Great review, & to anyone reading this who hasn't seen it: go buy and watch it immediately! You will not be disappointed.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked