Dangit2019's Long Winded Rants: The Heat

Before I start this, yes, Internet, I can like a silly little movie if it works well and it has competent screenwriting. Isn't it weird how that works?

Supposedly this is the surprise hit of the year, but I don't know how anyone can say that in the year Spring Breakers came and blew our minds. Sure, it's better than most people expected, but it's not like this was Dennis Dugan's big comedic comeback or anything; director Paul Feig's last film Bridesmaids was solid comic fare despite it's problems, and The Heat follows in its predecessor's footsteps.

The Heat is a action-comedy that's not out to be smart, make a point, or subvert any tropes set up for the buddy cop genre. Instead, it's a movie that follows those tropes to the letter, but just wants to make you laugh your ass off the whole way.

The way it does this is through its near genius comedic foil duo of Sandra Bullock's Sarah Ashburn, an arrogant albeit effective FBI agent riding her past professional successes in hopes of being praised by those around her, and Melisa McCarthy's Shannon Mullins, a verbally abusive Boston PD officer who puts her duties in front of herself or her personal hygiene.

Now, I know what your saying: "I've seen this 'good cop, zany cop' routine before, it was called Cop Out last time, and it fucking sucked."

Indeed it did, but the difference here is that they have quarks setting them apart, and actual character arcs. Ashburn is basically a take on the standard action hero cop, showing that anyone that showoff-y and arrogant would come off like a total dick in the actual line of duty, and Mullins is a bait-and-switch that's tricks the audience into thinking she's the standard fast-talking wacky character before showing that she legitimately gives a fuck about those around her, more so than Ashburn with her professional, squeaky clean manner.

As for the story, it's not too much to talk about. It's your standard cop comedy fare, and it's only true purpose is to get our starlets from setpiece to setpiece, and throw a few curveballs in there from time to time so that the audience doesn't get too bored.

The setpieces themselves hit at about 90% of the time, but the jokes are delivered quick enough to where the 10% doesn't muddle the whole movie like it did in some scenes of Bridesmaids. Bullock and McCarthy work perfectly in their roles, and they have legitimate adverse chemistry through the whole movie. Even when there isn't really a joke, they fuckin' sell it like it is, and I can't imagine any actress pair doing it better with these characters.

So yeah, great little popcorn flick. You won't be bored out of your mind, you'll probably laugh a lot, and you might actually be invested in the story at times despite it's predictability. I wouldn't call it a must see, but if it's a casual sunday night, there are definitely much worse movies out right now.

I don't think you need to justify yourself at the beginning of the review because...well, this movie is really good! I agree that the movie isn't particularly special or substantial in its storytelling, but it was a genuinely funny comedy. I do hope that people will take away that, yes, female leads can actually make a hit movie and actually be GOOD.

Conner42:
I don't think you need to justify yourself at the beginning of the review because...well, this movie is really good! I agree that the movie isn't particularly special or substantial in its storytelling, but it was a genuinely funny comedy. I do hope that people will take away that, yes, female leads can actually make a hit movie and actually be GOOD.

I just put that there because people were constantly telling me in defense of a certain other movie that I needed to stop "nitpicking" a "silly little movie".

Also, I didn't feel like writing a review for it, but Despicable Me 2 was also a pretty good, 7/10, charming movie.

Dangit2019:
Before I start this, yes, Internet, I can like a silly little movie if it works well and it has competent screenwriting. Isn't it weird how that works?

Hahaha. Oh, you. Still got an ax to grind?

Ishal:

Dangit2019:

My ax is pretty sharp now.

Dangit2019:

Ishal:

Dangit2019:

My ax is pretty sharp now.

I'll bet. It was just funny, I laughed out loud when I read that first part I quoted. I know you probably didn't write it like this, but it just seemed bitter.

You aren't alone, as I'm sure you're aware. Anthony C posted a little video about his thoughts. He's a reviewer/analyzer in the fandom, check him out when you can, he's pretty entertaining. His video talked about the Deus Ex Machina too. So suffice it to say his thought probably mirror yours. Ah well.

Ishal:

You aren't alone, as I'm sure you're aware. Anthony C posted a little video about his thoughts. He's a reviewer/analyzer in the fandom, check him out when you can, he's pretty entertaining. His video talked about the Deus Ex Machina too. So suffice it to say his thought probably mirror yours. Ah well.

I just spent a good 5 minutes laughing at his first EqG video purely because dramatic British accent.

btw, it's Antony C. Not too much of a big deal, but Anthony C will get you a google search full of male bodybuilders.

Dangit2019:

btw, it's Antony C. Not too much of a big deal, but Anthony C will get you a google search full of male fashion models.

Ah Shit. Really? My apologies, man. I should have just linked it and not been lazy.

You should watch his ACW review when you have time. It's pretty lengthy though, 30 min if memory serves.

Ishal:

Dangit2019:

btw, it's Antony C. Not too much of a big deal, but Anthony C will get you a google search full of male fashion models.

Ah Shit. Really? My apologies, man. I should have just linked it and not been lazy.

I was about to leave it and let you know that I just don't swing that way. Good thing his channel was near the bottom.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked