Majora's Mask Symbolism! Ending Explained

HOW MANY TIMES CAN EMCEE CHANGE HIS SHIRT IN ONE VIDEO? LETS FIND OUT!

This is it guys, the conclusion of the most hard to make thing I've ever partaken in. I'm sure that's not all that...impressive, but it was one of the best learning experiences in my life. The support of this forum in particular has helped me not only get exposure, but more importantly, get more motivated. I love entertaining and informing you guys, and I love starting conversations. It's cheesy, but it's true; this has been an inspiring experiance for me, despite the difficulty, and I can't wait to have more pretentious adventures with you guys.

Here's the FINAL PART!

You can find the official channel and playlist of other symbolism videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/EmceeProphIt

And (LAST PLUG!) Check out our other channel where we talk about game design, do funny playthroughs as well as deconstruct symbolism on the fly: https://www.youtube.com/user/ModestlyProphItic

I'm so pumped for this. Just lettin' ya know people really anticipate yer videos :D I love this game, and I loved this series.

two minute in, It's funny already!

Coolshark:
I'm so pumped for this. Just lettin' ya know people really anticipate yer videos :D I love this game, and I loved this series.

Thanks man! I love hearing stuff like that. Glad I can entertain :D

Hope ya like.

Must admit, I creased up at "Why do you watch this?" I also can't believe that the architecture at Stone Tower went completely over my head, then again a lot of the enemies in that area still creep me out even to this day (those death armos man, the way they move and are completely indestructible, something about them just rubs me the wrong way) so I probably wasn't paying attention.

Really must contest the idea of Link being exploitative and deceitful in his use of the transformation masks though; it's fairly clear through the way he interacts with most of the characters that knew the original people whose shoes Link fills that he's not only helping the spirits conclude some very literal unfinished business in two out of three cases, but he also helps those who were close to these people remember them in a more positive light. When you looked at the words spoken by the <red filter> mask salesman [scare chord/] </red filter> you spoke about how a dead person can be remembered through their positive impact. The way I see it, the actions Link performs using these people's identities exemplifies their positive traits and ensures that they will be remembered fondly. I mean let's be blunt, Darmani and Mikau were fairly ineffectual in their efforts to help their respective people before dying, though not for lack of trying.

Considering the field on the moon - fully agree, though there may be some more depth there. The single feature is a tree, symbolises growth, support, and in the case of an old or particularly large tree as this one is: strength and a time-less nature. Aside from the fact that the tree in this scene is clearly alive it has a lot in common with the room in which Dark Link is fought in ocarina of time. In this case it serves to emphasise that death is a pillar of life, and the way that this representation of death is so vibrant (consider the colour palette, lots of green and blue, all high brightness and high saturation) accentuates the intrinsic Link (yeah, I'll just leave the puns to you from now on) between the two.

Furthermore Link gives up his masks in order to gain access to the Fierce Deity mask and the dialogue sections which can only really be considered the 'true' ending. While the transformation masks were clearly the identities of other people (and hence cannot be traded in this way) the others are more representations of feats and achievements that Link performed while he was travelling through Termina. (he saved the ranch wagon, he witnessed Kafei and Anju's engagement vows, he... learned to run really fast) The point is if the mask salesman's words were indicative of how a person can be remembered, Link trading away these parts of his identity to the keepers of the dead is symbolic of the opposite, how a person can be forgotten over time.

Lastly, to compliment your analysis of the Fierce Deity mask itself, this is the mask that lets Link face the embodiment of death on level footing. By default, the battle with Majora through its three phases is a one-sided battle. Link has to land far more clean hits on Majora than it would have to on him; superior skill (of the player) is what makes it level. With the Fierce Deity mask it's barely even a battle (and that's before compounding it with a bottle of Chateau Romani to make UNLIMITED POWAH) The player is meant to feel cheated out of a boss battle. This power has no place in the game, much as the power to conquer death has no place in life.

Anyway, brilliant work once more; very much looking forward to whatever you decide to do next.

Overusedname:

Coolshark:

Thanks man! I love hearing stuff like that. Glad I can entertain :D

Hope ya like.

And I do! Let me say this was a very balanced episode between humor and analysis. The PUNS WOAH thing...I actually snickered at the pun itself, but the overreaction that followed made it classic XD. And on the analysis itself, this was very...deep, to say the least. I wish I had more to add to that conversation like Hydro, but I mostly agree with everything in the vid. I like the controversy of what Link did, it's a good debate subject.

Woo! This was a great one. Can't wait to see what you tackle next, Emcee. Keep up the awesome!

This was my first episode, and I really enjoyed it, great work! I've read so many different theories, come up with some of my own, and I definitely will watch the rest of the series because I really like the way you cover more than the usual theories people will discuss. The idea about Link being in the wrong while depressing has lots of merit, I've actually felt guilty parading around as Darmani and Mikau when everyone either thinks they're dead, or don't know they have died.

I'm really glad Majora's Mask gets so much more attention now than it used to, I would love to know how far the developers originally wanted to take the symbolism and themes of the game when creating it. Either way, I never get tired of theorizing about Majora's Mask, or Zelda in general.

One final note, that box at the end may require another video, it seems waaay too suspicious to me. XD

I'll try to respond to more peeps in a bit.

Hydro14:

Anyway, brilliant work once more; very much looking forward to whatever you decide to do next.

Thank you! And I like your alternate interpretation, and I saw that angle as well...but I wanted to clarify Majora's perspective. The Fierce Deity Mask is a very difficult thing to talk about since it's so shrouded in mystery and implication, but I agree with your interpretation.

YES! Been waiting for this one for awhile now....though truth to be told, I already watched it yesterday. Great ending and you absolutely surprised me with some of the symbolism in the end there. Loved it and I hope the next one is going to be as good.

Dude are you spying on me or something? I just, just, finished playing through this game again last night, and here you come with the final entry in a series I didn't even know was going on.

You're working with them aren't you? You know who I'm talking about; those bastards spying on the conversations I have with friends and feeding them to hollywood and Disney for use as idea fodder.

Just watched the entire thing, and really liked it.
I realized most of it myself, though, like the 5 stages of grief, but the 3rd part especially had some really heavy stuff.

Just watched it yesterday :) It was amazing as usual
I was really interested in you explaining the whole tower of Babylon, shame you didn't do it in your own way.

CANT WAIT FOR YOUR NEXT VIDEOS!! :D

YAY!!!!

the last part :3

*watches*

good Ep, and dark fucking game, holy crap o.0

Hero of Lime:
This was my first episode, and I really enjoyed it, great work! I've read so many different theories, come up with some of my own, and I definitely will watch the rest of the series because I really like the way you cover more than the usual theories people will discuss. The idea about Link being in the wrong while depressing has lots of merit, I've actually felt guilty parading around as Darmani and Mikau when everyone either thinks they're dead, or don't know they have died.

I'm really glad Majora's Mask gets so much more attention now than it used to, I would love to know how far the developers originally wanted to take the symbolism and themes of the game when creating it. Either way, I never get tired of theorizing about Majora's Mask, or Zelda in general.

One final note, that box at the end may require another video, it seems waaay too suspicious to me. XD

Thanks! Always glad to see new people enjoy my silly stuff. And I had the same feeling, its very unsettling when you consider exactly what it is you're doing.

Really enjoyed the endi XD

It was a good take on the "cliched" ending XD

I almost feel like there were 15 missing episodes in this series. So much could be said about it :)

I like where you took it anyway though. What link is facing isn't so much the evil of death as the fear (and shitty decisions that fear brings) of it. The Deku's lashed out at everyone around them, and took revenge on an innocent person, and the gorons fell into the stage of bargaining by simply praying, and depending on someone else (darmani or the gods) to save them. The Zoras just sort of gave up and "went" out with a whimper of apathy and despair, while the spirits of Ikana refused to accept death on anything other than their terms.

None of these ways of coping were actually courageous (or healthy). They all refused to accept the reality of what death was and accept it. Kafei and Anju didn't though. They knew full well what would happen to them and simply accepted it. They didn't try to blame someone else, make excuses, or beg for it to go away. They didn't try to find an unreasonable way out of it or fall into despair either. They just accepted the reality of the situation. They couldn't extend the time the had together any further, but they could spend it together. They did the best thing they could do. They faced death and accepted it, and weren't afraid. Why should they be? They had each other. In their last moments, they could do what they could.

In fighting Majora, Link does this too. He isn't hopelessly trying to do the impossible, he's trying to what he CAN do. He's knows the stakes, knows the costs of failure, and even the costs of success. He chooses to do what he can and should do in the face of death. Not oppose it, not evade it, but accept it. In it's real form. The one that without an agenda. A force of nature. Majora sees it as way to end suffering rather than simply an end. That's really what makes majora's quest so wrong.

That's what I get out of it anyway :)

T0ad 0f Truth:
Really enjoyed the endi XD

It was a good take on the "cliched" ending XD

I almost feel like there were 15 missing episodes in this series. So much could be said about it :)

I like where you took it anyway though. What link is facing isn't so much the evil of death as the fear (and shitty decisions that fear brings) of it. The Deku's lashed out at everyone around them, and took revenge on an innocent person, and the gorons fell into the stage of bargaining by simply praying, and depending on someone else (darmani or the gods) to save them. The Zoras just sort of gave up and "went" out with a whimper of apathy and despair, while the spirits of Ikana refused to accept death on anything other than their terms.

None of these ways of coping were actually courageous (or healthy). They all refused to accept the reality of what death was and accept it. Kafei and Anju didn't though. They knew full well what would happen to them and simply accepted it. They didn't try to blame someone else, make excuses, or beg for it to go away. They didn't try to find an unreasonable way out of it or fall into despair either. They just accepted the reality of the situation. They couldn't extend the time the had together any further, but they could spend it together. They did the best thing they could do. They faced death and accepted it, and weren't afraid. Why should they be? They had each other. In their last moments, they could do what they could.

In fighting Majora, Link does this too. He isn't hopelessly trying to do the impossible, he's trying to what he CAN do. He's knows the stakes, knows the costs of failure, and even the costs of success. He chooses to do what he can and should do in the face of death. Not oppose it, not evade it, but accept it. In it's real form. The one that without an agenda. A force of nature. Majora sees it as way to end suffering rather than simply an end. That's really what makes majora's quest so wrong.

That's what I get out of it anyway :)

I love the essays you always write me, hehe.

Thanks yo, I'm glad you liked the end. And yeah, there could but...I dunno, I encourage people to make their own vids when things get that complicated. I can't cover EVERYTHING EVER after all.

Overusedname:
-Snip-

It's fun thinking about stuff like this in depth...

>.>

<.<

You're the one making videos about it! Don't judge me! You started it! XD

I can't cover EVERYTHING EVER after all

But you have to! You're an internet entertainer! You're required to make millions and millions of free videos because the amorphous theoretical audience I have no business speaking for demands it!

T0ad 0f Truth:

Overusedname:
-Snip-

It's fun thinking about stuff like this in depth...

>.>

<.<

You're the one making videos about it! Don't judge me! You started it! XD

I can't cover EVERYTHING EVER after all

But you have to! You're an internet entertainer! You're required to make millions and millions of free videos because the amorphous theoretical audience I have no business speaking for demands it!

You're correct, how foolish of me.

Back into the dungeon I go....

*sniff*

You're one of the best when it comes to this type of vid, I honestly already think that. Hope to see ya on a major site soon!

False Nobility:
You're one of the best when it comes to this type of vid, I honestly already think that. Hope to see ya on a major site soon!

Haha, so do I. And thank, but I think yer a bit generous. I still have a lot to learn in terms of editing and such.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked