Bioshock Infinite's Symbolism: Gameplay vs. Story...

The story, world, and characters of Bioshock Infinite are all unique and fresh. The gameplay on the other hand....

PART 4

Also, we now upload stuff twice a week...when possible that is. Each week we'll continue Bioshock (Thursday) and upload our other, more light hearted and comical playthroughs (Mondays)

Here's my personal favorite funny playthrough thus far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-U6Qj3Lr1w&list=PLktHAuVJYdOt4yZ-FVeQ2f3IHZ1Rr9-8Q

Feed back, discussion and debate is awesome, as always. Let us know what you think.

Good stuff but...Is there a new ep coming this week? This one was last weeks right? But it...wasn't posted?

SomethingWorse:
Good stuff but...Is there a new ep coming this week? This one was last weeks right? But it...wasn't posted?

The user review posts might be a bit behind the actual uploads, but I'll still be doing them. I finished the Majora Series last week, and I don't like spamming the forum with more than one video a week, as it's unfair to other people.

I'd also end up competing against myself, heh. A new Bioshock will be uploaded to the channel this afternoon.

Ermahgerd! Secret World Leader got a shout out! Neat. XD

I see what he's saying about there being a slight disconnect between the gameplay and the story. Several gameplay types could go with this story, not just a shooter. It lacks Gesamkunstwerk (totally stealing from Mr. Btongue XD), but I'm not really sure that that's unique to shooters.

Can you honestly say the "collect 10 whale kidneys" of RPG's or the nonsensical "temple" designs in Zelda or Metroid Prime are really better?

Those kinds of places are where parts seem more like connected bits than a section of an integrated whole.

T0ad 0f Truth:

I see what he's saying about there being a slight disconnect between the gameplay and the story. Several gameplay types could go with this story, not just a shooter. It lacks Gesamkunstwerk (totally stealing from Mr. Btongue XD), but I'm not really sure that that's unique to shooters.

Can you honestly say the "collect 10 whale kidneys" of RPG's or the nonsensical "temple" designs in Zelda or Metroid Prime are really better?

Those kinds of places are where parts seem more like connected bits than a section of an integrated whole.

I guess that's true.

There's some tonal dissonance, but it matches the character of Booker at least. I just wish it was more...interesting.

Also, that comic was poignant as hell, I even know what game it's referring to.

Overusedname:

T0ad 0f Truth:

I guess that's true.

There's some tonal dissonance, but it matches the character of Booker at least. I just wish it was more...interesting.

Also, that comic was poignant as hell, I even know what game it's referring to.

Well, you did do a whole episode on it XD

And a lot of gameplay innovation seems to come from places where story is less ambitious, so its not like Bioshock is particularly suprising XD

Just look at Katamari and Gears of War (whether you think that style of game is good or not doesn't matter! XD) or even earlier games like Mario Bros 2 and the first LoZ :)

They're stories are all pretty basic or even bad, but the gameplay is new, fresh, and most importantly, fun.

That's why other games take cues from them. Mass Effect 2 could pretty much be said to be a Gears Clone if it weren't for a radically different story telling style and tone :)

...Also some criticism that you can feel free to ignore (Don't hate me D:)

Honestly sometimes your symbolism comments seem forced. I don't know. I love the show, but it seems like you often go "oh yeah we gotta talk about the game some more"

It seems weirdly forced. I think it might go better if you didn't always go into everything blind, because while sometimes its brilliant, other times it seems like you keep switching from banter with corey to in depth analysis and it can seem jarring.

I mean you clearly know what you're doing better than I, but if you can, try to integrate the banter and commentary more. They're both great, the switch is just jarring sometimes :)

I've never seen any of these before, but I'm sorry to have to say I find it pretty obnoxious.
If you want to have a let's play, that's fine. If you want to discuss symbolism in Bioshock, write a script and focus your observations and arguments instead of just randomly mumbling about it while being constantly interrupted by in game events, and hardly ever getting to the point.

T0ad 0f Truth:
-snip-

Duly noted. I just feel like there's this unspoken quota I have to fill XD Final Fantasy had some full blown sillyness in it, so I feared leaning to far that direction.

chikusho:
I've never seen any of these before, but I'm sorry to have to say I find it pretty obnoxious.
If you want to have a let's play, that's fine. If you want to discuss symbolism in Bioshock, write a script and focus your observations and arguments instead of just randomly mumbling about it while being constantly interrupted by in game events, and hardly ever getting to the point.

I know this is a weird response, but I already have a show that's exactly what your asking for. But this show is different, it's for people who want analysis and improv comedy, and spontaneity. And other episodes dwell more on the analysis.

There will be an 'Overview' Video at the end of every Symbolism playthrough that will be scripted.

Sorry you found it obnoxious, but for what it's worth, we aren't aiming to be a let's play nor a scripted review.

This stuff is absolutely hilarious and insightful guys.

You have gained a subscriber.

GSP66:
This stuff is absolutely hilarious and insightful guys.

You have gained a subscriber.

Thank you! :D Comments like that keep us motivated.

I posted the next up on the escapist today:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.822472-Bioshock-Infinites-Symbolism-Freedom-of-Religion

I've never heard of you guys before, and I'm about to give it a watch, but gut reactions before knowing whether you guys agree or not, but the single most disappointing part of the gameplay was how generic it was. Infinite was a game about shooting people a lot. In the case of the handymen, a LOT. And they chucked in some gimmicks that were happily completely ignorable at no cost to yourself, but for the most part, pick your two guns and fire the bullets.

Bioshock 1 and 2 had hacking, traps, tricky plasmids like misdirecting security, Decoy, Scout and Enrage, alternate ammo types, the ability to pass through envionments without combat or to lure people/daddies into your turret filled, mine riddled, electric razor wire death traps,... There was all kinds of stuff you could do.

Infinite you shot the guys. Or sometimes you used your left trigger to cause deaths, but mostly you used your right trigger to cause deaths.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked