2010 Billboard Top 100 Review: #20-16

4 more, and then I can reveal my top 10, bottom 10, and overall impressions.

#20: "Imma Be" by Black Eyed Peas

Wow, this was a good year for BEP. This is the fourth song of theirs I've reviewed for my 2010 list.

Well, the music is nothing special. Basically, it is a weak drum beat, with some weird keyboard riff and snapping fingers. As for the singing...there is a reason Fergie shouldn't headline songs. She is just not a good singer. Then again, neither is will.i.am.

The lyrics are...well, when they aren't just saying "imma be", they are bragging about how awesome they are going to be. But hey, it's not their fault they are popular. No, seriously, they actually say that at one point.

When people want an example of why BEP sucks, this is the type of song they point to. Crappy music, mediocre singing, and stupid lyrics. This isn't even a good club song, because it has no beat you can dance to. How was this their biggest hit in 2010?

#19: "Cooler Than Me" by Mike Posner

Exhibit A for why stage names are not always a bad idea.

Well, the music is a step up from the last song. The keyboard riff is a bit repetitive, but it has a pleasant sound. That is until the verse, where this weird keyboard riff comes in. It sounds like someone trying, and failing, to emulate Depeche Mode. As for the singing...I hate to blatantly quote Todd in the Shadows, but he nailed it with this guy. He sounds like that guy who quietly sings to himself in the shower and thinks no one can hear him.

As for the lyrics, he is basically knocking down a girl for turning him down. His method of attack is claiming that the reason his attempts to woo her failed is because she thinks she's cooler than him. Yes, he is using the "I'm too good for you, anyways!" approach.

This song is better than the last one, but I wouldn't call it good. Granted, the music is catchy, and I actually started grooving to it a bit halfway through. But Mike Posner's stage whisper singing gets on my nerves, and the lyrics are high-school comeback material. Not going to be making my bottom list, but it's definitely not making my top list.

#18: "Just the Way You Are" by Bruno Mars

Solo Bruno Mars! Finally.

Music is not bad. Very piano driven, but Bruno Mars is a decent piano player. Drums are a bit generic and loud, but they aren't distractingly bad. As for the singing, Bruno Mars doesn't have a lot of range, and is a bit higher-pitched than I'd like, but he has a clean voice, which is nice to hear, and he seems aware of his limitations. No autotune is always a plus.

Lyrics are basically a love song. He is telling a girl that any flaws she sees are not flaws to him, and that he loves her just the way she is.

I absolutely love this song. Bruno Mars is not the strongest singer, but he is aware of that and makes it work. The music is gentle and soothing, fitting the lyrics perfectly. Speaking of the lyrics, this is the kind of love song that should be written more often. It's not that it is something shocking and new, because it's not. The delivery of those lyrics have one thing that most attempts at love songs lack: honesty. You really believe Bruno Mars feels that way towards somebody, and it's just a sweet song.

#17: "Teenage Dream" by Katy Perry

Yeah, you THOUGHT you'd get away without a Katy Perry song.

Music is pretty repetitive keyboard and a basic drum beat, nothing special. As for the singing...it's Katy Perry. If she has a strong suit, it is definitely not her singing voice.

Lyrics are another love song. She's basically describing her current romance as like being in a teenage dream. I guess that's supposed to be a good thing.

I should hate this song. The music is nothing special, the lyrics are nothing special, and the singing is...less than that. She manages to sell the song with everything she's got. She really seems to mean every word, and sometimes, that can be enough to make up for shortcomings. This is one of those times. It's just a sweet-sounding song, and it does manage to sell the confusing lyrics. Overall...I like this song way more than I should.

#16: "Telephone" by Lady Gaga feat. Beyonce

Another Lady Gaga appearance! And...Beyonce. I don't like Beyonce. Fun fact, this song was originally intended to be sung by...Britney Spears. Yes, it was supposed to be a solo Britney song for the album Circus, but Britney turned it down. Then, Lady Gaga considered making Britney the guest artist, but decided on Beyonce.

I've always enjoyed the music for this song. At least, in the first half of the first verse. It actually sounds quite pretty. The rest of the music is all right, but is just overproduced to hell, even for Lady Gaga. As for the singing, Lady Gaga does a pretty solid job. I don't understand why people knock her as an artist, because she is a decent singer. As for Beyonce...if you like shouting instead of singing, she's got you covered.

As for the lyrics, this song is another one of Lady Gaga's "deep" songs, although it is far more successful than Alejandro at it. On the surface, the song seems to be simply telling a guy that she's out clubbing, so please stop calling. However, according to Lady Gaga, the song was written out of her frustration about how her work life often overtook her leisure time. In other words, this song is basically what she wanted to say when she'd go out to have fun, but then have to go in to the studio to write more songs.

Overall this song is...actually decent. That's right, I'm disagreeing with Todd in the Shadows. Beyonce does not need to be in the song, granted. But the music, when it slows down and isn't just blasting you with noise, is solid, Lady Gaga is on point as a singer, and the lyrics do a good job of making sense on both the surface and a deeper look. You don't need to know the backstory to like the song, but the song gets that much better when you do know where her mind was when she was writing the song.

Well, that list was embarrassing. Time to see how many people hate on me for not disliking all the songs.

Previously: #25-21

Next: #15-11

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked