Dangit2019's Long Winded Rants: MLP: Dusk's Dawn

"Also, I read that review you posted. I'm not usually one to critique other people's reviews, but yours frankly came off more like a long-winded rant than an examination of the faults and merits of the movie."

Pre-viewing:

So, after reviewing Double Rainboom, I found that its claim of being the first fan-made MLP episode was not as authentic as I was led to believe. Indeed, I read up on an earlier full-length fanimation by the name of Dusk's Dawn, and the only thing I know about it is that it's supposed to be horrifically shitty on a level that makes Rainboom look like an Orson Welles production.

Neato.

So, here I go into the abyss...

Post-viewing:

This film...oh sweet Lord Almighty this film.

YOU HAVE TO SEE IT.

It's hard to put into mere words the experience of watching Dusk's Dawn. I'm amazed that it's as obscure as it is.

Look, there's EqG, which was misguided, and there's Double Rainboom, which had no creative direction, and then there's just this.

Okay, do the fucking math on this:

Tommy Wiseau's accent + Troll 2's line delivery + The Asylum's production values + Battlefield Earth's writing + shitty pony OCs (Original Characters) = ?

That ? is the masterpiece that is Dusk's Dawn. It is how not to animate. It is how not to voice act. It is how not to write. It is how not to do anything well at all when making a short film animation.

Shit is firing on all cylinders, and it is glorious. The only legitimate note of quality for this movie is the singer who sings the original song, but even that has laughable lyrics and is accompanied by animation that wouldn't make the cut in a cheap PMV.

I REPEAT: YOU HAVE TO WATCH DUSK'S DAWN. It's one of the most entertainingly bad things I've seen in years, and this is coming from someone who frequents the "who can find the worst deviantartist" threads on /mlp/ daily.

WHAT ARE YOU EVEN READING THIS FOR, SCROLL UP AND WATCH THAT SHIT.

Dangit2019:

snip

It's sad. And I'm genuine when I say that. I can't laugh at it, not without feeling a bit empty on the inside. Fanfiction can be challenging to write in and of itself for people who enjoy the MLP universe enough to try and create their own characters. The whole fandom has a gigantic stigma against OC's and this shit doesn't help. /sigh

Oh well. Guess it makes you appreciate the show that much more, even the worst eps of the show are gold compared to this.

Ishal:

Dangit2019:

snip

The whole fandom has a gigantic stigma against OC's and this shit doesn't help. /sigh

It also doesn't help that so many inexperienced writers who use OC's in fanfics aren't making characters, but instead either obvious inserts of themselves or nigh-almighty badasses who can do everything all the time.

Dangit2019:

Ishal:

Dangit2019:

snip

The whole fandom has a gigantic stigma against OC's and this shit doesn't help. /sigh

It also doesn't help that so many inexperienced writers who use OC's in fanfics aren't making characters, but instead either obvious inserts of themselves or nigh-almighty badasses who can do everything all the time.

Yes, those are all terrible tropes. But the self-insert is a fallacy. People only think they know what a self insert is. Think on the true meaning of that term. How do you or I possibly know the author well enough to say he/she just copy-pasta'd themselves into the story? People just tend to label mary/gary stu OC's as self inserts. Authors put themselves in all characters, period. The key is to breath life into them so that they can exist on their own with desires, and vices and friends and enemies. It can be tough to find, but there are good ones out there.

here's one of them

Ishal:
Yes, those are all terrible tropes. But the self-insert is a fallacy.

I wouldn't go thaaat far. Self-inserts are a stigma because they are obviously self-inserts. Like it's super unmistakeable that the writer is just throwing themselves in somewhere for an ego trip. That said, it does get overused by people who are confusing "self-insert" with "terrible character."

Norithics:

Ishal:
Yes, those are all terrible tropes. But the self-insert is a fallacy.

I wouldn't go thaaat far. Self-inserts are a stigma because they are obviously self-inserts. Like it's super unmistakeable that the writer is just throwing themselves in somewhere for an ego trip. That said, it does get overused by people who are confusing "self-insert" with "terrible character."

That is pretty much my point. People should just say "terrible character" instead of using a meaningless name. Self Insert is catchy and people think exactly what you just said, they think its obvious, but there is no way to truly know for sure. Maybe they just like making a character that gets a long with everyone? If I write a character like that I generally just want to make a nice character that isn't driven to conflict all the time, and doesn't attract drama... welp that must be me putting myself right in the story.

I know what you mean, the master of none scenario and then they sex the main cast of whatever story it is. But just call it what it is, bad.

Ishal:
That is pretty much my point. People should just say "terrible character" instead of using a meaningless name.

That's cool. What you wrote just seemed to hint that it's never a valid label, which made it seem kinda far-reaching.

Dangit2019:

Tommy Wiseau's accent + Troll 2's line delivery + The Asylum's production values + Battlefield Earth's writing + shitty pony OCs (Original Characters) = ?

Just watched this before reading any of your review, and the very first thing I thought of was Tommy Wiseau.
The OCs weren't as bad to look at as some of the ones that I've seen, but the characters themselves were obvious inserts mixed with a blend of personalities from the mane six. The story was really crappy.

However, the only parts that I would really consider laughably bad were the walking animation, and the voice acting. Everything else was just a weak meh.

I also noticed that they were taking criticism into account with their next episode. That's good.

Also, seeing as you reviewed two fan-made episodes already, are you going to do Snowdrop?

Mocmocman:

Also, seeing as you reviewed two fan-made episodes already, are you going to do Snowdrop?

I might as well. I probably should review something that doesn't suck now and then. Either tomorrow or sometime next week.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked