Dangit2019's Long Winded Rants: Snowdrop

"Also, I read that review you posted. I'm not usually one to critique other people's reviews, but yours frankly came off more like a long-winded rant than an examination of the faults and merits of the movie."

It's shite.

Okay, I kid, it's not that bad. I wouldn't call it show quality yet, but it's far above the standards set by some of the other fan-made material I've reviewed. Also, reviewing it allows me to put off finishing the script for my own short film for 2 more hours, so I can't see it being too nasty.

So we start the shenanigans with a corny, overblown speech about how awesome snow is, but that's okay because it fits the tone of the story. Sometimes big sentimental stories are done best in a corny "I can't believe someone just said that with a straight face" writing style. It's the reason an extremely cerebral and clever writer like Joss Whedon could never write something like A Miracle on 34th Street.

The voice acting is a mixed bag. Some of the smaller parts sound grainy and unconvincing, but the bigger roles like Celestia, or the titular character sound like the pros.

The animation is...fine. It's not really the selling point of this, nor is it ever bad enough to become distracting, but just don't expect studio quality out of it.

Once we get past the intro, we flashback to a time before snowflakes, where snow was just frozen water. I'm not sure how that's that big of a difference, but I'm a dirty Grinch who likes ruining everyone's fun (which I plan on doing in 3, 2...).

So, we enter a classroom and the biggest problem with the short comes forward: the dialogue. Not its quality so much as its quantity. There's just too much of it going around, and it's about as enchanting as a Middle Earth dictionary. Really, guys, we aren't telling a high concept sci-fi here, we're telling the movie equivalent of facebook copypasta set in the My Little Pony universe(which, again, is just fine), just give us the basic essentials that the story needs and leave the rest to the fanfic writers.

So, there's a big project going on where students of the class are to invent ways for Cloudsdale to "invigorate the seasons" and present them to Princess Celestia herself. I don't know why they're relying on children for this task, but what the fuck do I know.

So our dear blind Snowdrop didn't get a partner to work on the project with (because children in Christmas movies are the most heartless sentient beings ever conceived), and tells the teacher that she's been working on one all by herself.

By the way, I figured out why so many people got choked up by this movie: it's the music. I don't know who was in charge of score, but holy shit is it some of the saddest music I've ever heard. They say 90% of video is audio, and it shows. If you were to take out the music, it would be one of the most awkward, creepy animations ever shown, but with it, suddenly the feels come a'rushin'. For a good example:

But that's fine. The medium itself is emotionally manipulative, it works just so long as you keep respect for your audience.

After the lead voice actress gives her Oscar clip performance, Snowdrop sheds a single tear, which freezes. Out of that, she carves the first snowflake with one of her own feathers. Ooo boy.

On the day the projects are presented, Snowdrop comes rushing at the last minute (I don't know why, she had already finished the snowflake days ag-NITPICKING NITPICKING NITPICKING) and presents the single snowflake to the princess. Her Cunty McCunterson classmates all make fun of her because, again, basically robots in terms of compassion. Snowdrop has another Oscar moment asking why winter can't be happy like the other seasons (a good question), and presents the snowflake as the answer. Celestia is sold and asks Snowdrop to make more.

She does this for years and years, but unlike Celestia and Luna, Snowdrop's years eventually run out. Luna and Celestia mourn over the last snowflake she made, and they release it into the sky as the music swells and the credits roll.

Yeah, I didn't cry on this one. I'm not trying to sound like a big manly man (especially not when reviewing stuff related to MLP), I cried my eyes out in Toy Story 3. It just wasn't enough of an emotional dark to really get me in the feels. I'm sure a lot of other people will, though, and that's fine. I'm just a cynical bastard who pops children's balloons in parks and then steals their lollipops.

In conclusion, I look forward to Silly Filly Studio's future projects, as I see some real storytelling potential here. It does my heart good to see a fanwork try to tell a story instead of trying in vain to copy the show's charm or just having a big reference-wank. So, even with its flaws, I would still recommend you watch Snowdrop.

As for the ending, I guess I was just blind to the emotional writing. I really don't see how this is all that tear-jerking. Maybe the creative team just lost sight of what was important. Perhaps I- THE JOKE IS THAT THE MAIN CHARACTER IS BLIND LAUGH YOU CHEEKY CUNTS LAUGH.

AM I YAHTZEE CROSHAW YET?!

Next Time on Dangit2019's Long Winded Rants: A Shitty Non-Pony Movie

The best thing about this was Luna's reaction to Snowdrop. The fact that she was able to empathize with something that was under appreciated and therefore understand and accept snowdrops snowflake. Snowdrop herself was at the heart of the matter looking to be validated, and ultimately she was through her special snowflake.

I've heard her snowflake compared to something like a Jackson Pollock painting. Not many people care or like his style, but some people did and it got put into museums and made famous. Snowdrop was able to touch a pony of influence (Luna) and thus achieved her goal. It was pretty clever imo.

The music was subtle, what got me at the end was "for all the dreams you never knew came true... goodbye..." then the piano. I'm susceptible to that sort of thing, but I relate to snowdrop in a way. I'm the only one of my friends who likes snow and doesn't become a grump when its winter. So there's that.

Ishal:
The best thing about this was Luna's reaction to Snowdrop. The fact that she was able to empathize with something that was under appreciated and therefore understand and accept snowdrops snowflake. Snowdrop herself was at the heart of the matter looking to be validated, and ultimately she was through her special snowflake.

I agree. That was nice use of the characters.

The music was subtle, what got me at the end was "for all the dreams you never knew came true... goodbye..." then the piano. I'm susceptible to that sort of thing, but I relate to snowdrop in a way. I'm the only one of my friends who likes snow and doesn't become a grump when its winter. So there's that.

I like winter as well. Maybe it's because I've become such an A/V nerd that I have a habitual liking to the even lighting in overcast skies.

BTDubs, I'm editing some of my past reviews to include illustrations so that they won't be so wall-of-texty. I've already finished Double Rainboom.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked