Saints Row 4 review

Well, I certainly had misgivings about this game before it came out; it looked rushed, the superpowers looked uncreative, there wasn't an appreciable difference between the graphics in SR3 and this one- it looked like a DLC that had been repackaged into a sixty dollar game. Plus, previews said that it was going to involve aliens and a simulation of Steelport; setting it all in a simulation was just asking for lazy cop-out writing and plot related bullshit. I was prepared for the worst.

Well, it's been two weeks and two characters later, and I'm glad to say I was totally, totally, wrong.

Saints Row 4 is actually BETTER than Saints Row: The Third. It's better structured, more fun to play, less obnoxious... just better. It's the closest we can get to a Prototype or Crackdown 3, a great big bundle of every superhero game made in the past ten years, bolted onto the assets and structures of The Third.

Plus, since this is a simulation, the craziness in The Third actually makes more sense here. Weapons now have custom skins, like turning the heavy pistol into Deckard's gun from Bladerunner, or your assault rifles into the pulse rifle from Aliens or the railgun from Eraser. You don't need to steal cars anymore, but if you want, it's there. You don't need to have homies, but if you want, you can call them (and they get superpowers of their own). The prevailing philosophy seems to be, "Just throw it in there, someone will play with it," and I really appreciate that.

If there's one issue I have it's that it's impossible to fire guns while in the air. While I suppose it cuts down on the jump-n-fire tactics that make Crackdown a cakewalk, it's still annoying. Also this game is really unstable, and crashes frequently, usually behind loading screens. Fortunately, it autosaves often.

Writing is way, way funnier this time around, with judicious use of sci-fi references, parodies of famous movies and games, and just general wittiness. I found myself laughing harder at this game than at any other game before (including Borderlands 2).

I whole heartily recommend this game to anyone who likes Saint's Row, sandbox superhero games, or just good games in general.

Is there an unlockable invincibility like in The Third and if there is can you switch it off?

piinyouri:
Is there an unlockable invincibility like in The Third and if there is can you switch it off?

Not that I know of. But by the end game you're pretty much untouchable anyway, so there's not much point.

Machine Man 1992:

piinyouri:

Not that I know of. But by the end game you're pretty much untouchable anyway, so there's not much point.

Well, I guess that's not quite as bad as being outright un-killable.
That bothered me a lot ion The Third. It was fun at first obviously to let loose a rocket point blank at a tank or whatever and be absolutely fine, but not having the ability to turn it off seriously hurt the fun of screwing around.

Anyway, I've heard some surprisingly good things about SR4 (this review being one of them) so I'll probably borrow it from my friend sometime.

piinyouri:

Machine Man 1992:

piinyouri:

Well, I guess that's not quite as bad as being outright un-killable.
That bothered me a lot ion The Third. It was fun at first obviously to let loose a rocket point blank at a tank or whatever and be absolutely fine, but not having the ability to turn it off seriously hurt the fun of screwing around.

Anyway, I've heard some surprisingly good things about SR4 (this review being one of them) so I'll probably borrow it from my friend sometime.

Just be ready for some crashes. It has this really annoying habit of crashing behind loading screens, requiring a reset.

Also there is a loud locust from MIB in the "Let's Pretend" in Brickstone, shoot the door that says employees only.

I've found it a super fun game. The jokes are great, the guns are great and the story is intriguing.

Good review :)

I loved SR2 but found SR3 boring and repetitive. Where abouts would you put SR4 amongst them?

Klagnut:
Good review :)

I loved SR2 but found SR3 boring and repetitive. Where abouts would you put SR4 amongst them?

It's such a different beast from SR2, I'd put it in a category of it's own.

piinyouri:

There is, but it's part of the Executive Privilege Pack.

Not that you'd need that bit of DLC - you're unkillable by the time the game ends.

IamLEAM1983:

piinyouri:

Not that you'd need that bit of DLC - you're unkillable by the time the game ends.

Well, apart from the end boss. Bit of a wake up call there.

While it's nice to hear positive things, I still think I'ma wait a while and get the complete pack on sale. In a year, it'll be a lot closer to what I'm willing to risk on a game after a disappointment like SRTT.

IamLEAM1983:

piinyouri:

Not that you'd need that bit of DLC - you're un-killable by the time the game ends.

As in you've got so many powers/guns ect that they could never hope to kill you even though they may damage you a bit, or your health bar just doesn't move at all?

piinyouri:

IamLEAM1983:

piinyouri:

Not that you'd need that bit of DLC - you're un-killable by the time the game ends.

As in you've got so many powers/guns ect that they could never hope to kill you even though they may damage you a bit, or your health bar just doesn't move at all?

Pretty much. It's a satisfyingly slow climb to that point, but once you're there, you realize using trainers or cheats for this particular game is entirely moot.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked