Redlin's ramblings - POKÉMON! - Episode 1: Music

***If you have a slow connection, I might recommend liberal use of F5. There are a lot of Youtube videos embedded in the following spoilers. Don't say I didn't warn you!***

Here's how this thread will work. I'm going to break up each generations music into sections. Some generations will have plenty of material to draw from due to them having remakes within their time but I'm placing my judgements on the quality of the experience, not the sheer quantity alone. Note this will not be an exhaustive list of all the music in the games but will give you, dear reader, a sense of the evolution of Pokemon's soundtrack. I am including the remakes in the categories as well as the remixes for those games were, for the most part, superb and deserving of recognition too. Yes, I did listen to all of them AGAIN for this thread. :P

I will put my 'winner' of a category under all the examples and give my reasoning. I hope this will make more sense as we go on as I'm writing this quite late and have a lot of music to search up on Youtube.

So, without further ado...

POKÉMON MUSIC REVIEW

HOME THEME

This next one is going to be a big one and take me a LOT of time to put together...

ROUTE MUSIC

All the music you hear on your travels. This excludes special areas, caves and town music. I'm not going to include every song, just a selection of my favorites from each game. Let's jump in shall we?

Alright, let's get to something easy and with less of a library behind it. These are the...

WILD POKÉMON BATTLES

Enough with the wild Pokemon, let's get to the good stuff. Real trainers only relish one kind of battle...

TRAINER BATTLE MUSIC

This is gonna get bloody.

Enough with these regular trainers, we care about...

RIVAL MUSIC

TOWN/CITY GENERAL

Excluding the starting town or city, there are a lot of individual tracks for cities in this series thus far. Time to find out which generation collectively had the best!

Here comes another hard one.... What else is in cities besides....

GYM LEADER BATTLES

What's that? Something malevolent is in the air?

TEAM THEMES

So this is how I'm going to do this one. This includes all the area music that the evil Team is associated with as well as the grunt music. You'll see what I mean.

BIKING

SURFING

And also Diving where applicable. All the Pokemon water technique themes.

FOREST THEMES

Most of these games have a forest you have to go through. Let's hear them!

CAVE/RUIN/TOWER GENERAL

All the caves with all their secrets. All those mystical chambers where Legends sleep. All the towers where monks train alone and desolate Pokemon spirits haunt what remains. This is where we hear the songs of places less well traveled.

Hmmm, I think I want to go gambling with all the money I got after selling Nuggets found in caves...

GAME CORNER THEMES

I really wasn't looking forward to this one... -.-

POKÉMON CENTER THEMES

They'll never leave me.... o.o

Alright...

Alright...

*slow breathing*

Alright, I'm ready...

LEGENDARY POKÉMON THEMES

You've foiled them over and over again. Now their leaders want to challenge you...

TEAM LEADER THEMES

Well, this is winding down now. Ready for the big ones?

ELITE FOUR THEMES

FINAL CATEGORY

CHAMPION BATTLE THEMES

This is the climax of the Pokemon experience. The toughest trainer[1] of the region stands before you! Your team has been trained and put through the Elite Four. You might be low on items or, if you were young and dumb like me once, you had no items! This is what Pokemon is about and its time to see which generation is the Champion!

SCORES

Generation 1: 2

Generation 2: 2

Generation 3: 4

Generation 4: 3

Generation 5: 3

Generation 6: 4

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh

This wasn't what I was expecting. I was going to crown the generation with the most points as the generation I thought had the best music on average. A tie doesn't serve me! D:<

Hmmm...

I know a tiebreaker that would work. The songs Gamefreak closed their games with!

TIEBREAKER: THE CREDITS!

So here it is: Ruby's credits vs Y's credits.

Based on sound alone (reading the lyrics would have given X and Y too much power over me, I know it) I have decided to give the win to Generation 3. I just like the simple nature of the credits song for Ruby better when just lying back and listening to the sound. Simplicity wins it for 3.

Both are beautiful ways to end a Pokemon game however. Both are very worthy of the points they earned in the process of writing this. It was tremendous fun listening to all of this again, even if it took many hours of my summer.

And this is how I'm ending this review. There will be other Pokemon reviews in this series, none of which will require nearly as many Youtube videos to be embedded into it. I'm very excited for Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby. The communicast I participated in today was the immediate motivator for me to push this out but I've wanted to put out my thoughts on Pokemon as a whole for a long time now.

Pokemon is the one series I've kept on with since childhood and it still occupies my time the same way. I still smile when I think of these games and that's not likely to change soon.

Till next time, have fun playing friends~

-Red

[1] Generally! At the very least, they get the coolest rooms to live in.

Too long, did not listen. Also, all those post reserves added nothing to the conversation.

NeoAC:
Too long, did not listen. Also, all those post reserves added nothing to the conversation.

Banned for Low Content

NeoAC:
Also, all those post reserves added nothing to the conversation.

Don't know what you're talking about.

It's done btw. Hope work went alright.

And you MUST do a series of Professor Oak Senility videos of some sort. That shit was hilarious!

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked