Tekken 7 - Review

Man I love Tekken games. Sadly I haven't played a Tekken game since the 3rd entry back on the PS1. So imagine my surprise when I loaded up Tekken 7 and jumped right back into playing it like I was a kid again. Tekken 7 instantly felt familiar and yet new at the same time to me. I was very happy with the game after spending quite a few hours with it in the online versus mode, trying fighters, remembering old favorites and feeling out some possible new ones. It was great.

Then something occurred to me. I haven't played a Tekken game in forever, yet combos were exactly how I remembered them, button inputs the exact same. What have they done to change the game in the past four generations? Sadly the answer to that is not a whole lot.

So Tekken 7 is simply a Tekken game. The fighting is as tight and as deep as it has always been, because it hasn't changed. If you have been keeping up with the series throughout it's lifespan then you'll not find very much different here. You might think of it as a good thing, all your combos will be the same, all your tactics will continue to be effective here, which means after maybe a round or two of shaking out the rust you should be back to just about where you were with the last game.

That isn't to say Tekken 7 isn't adding anything new, it just isn't really changing anything enough to make any meaningful differences in my opinion. What they did add was something call "Rage Arts" which basically act like super moves that you can active once your character falls below 20% health in a fight. They are designed to be a comeback mechanic that don't really work that way. Unless the match is one-sided this Rage Arts are going to be activatible for both opponents pretty evenly. Which boils down to whoever connects with their Rage Art first, wins. It's a neat concept in theory, but it just stinks like Tekken is trying to complete with the other fighting games on the market which all have super moves now, something that never really fit in Tekken before-hand.

It's an okay mechanic, and I suppose it does allow for flashy endings to matches. They aren't a game-changer though and the majority of the fighting remains unchanged from previous Tekken games.

So what else is new? Well there is a big story-mode now (again like most other fighters on the market except Street Fighter V), in which you follow the story of the Mishima family through the happenings of the previous Tekken games. It's shit. Really. The story makes no fucking sense, it isn't told well, and it fails as a story-mode when compared to other games. In Tekken's story you only play a handful of characters, mostly the Mishima's, and the fights are pointless or simply make no sense in the context of things. It is a failed attempt to do what Netherrealms has done with the previous Mortal Kombat and Injustice games.

It's so bad, I skipped through the story about half way through and just rushed through the fights.

The biggest disappointment for me though, is the lack of a individual character arcade mode. In previous Tekken games, you beat the arcade mode with every character and every character got a little movie at the end of it. It was awesome, and the reward i most looked forward too when beating the game with every character. In Tekken 7 that doesn't exist.

Sure there is an arcade mode. But you get no story from it. It's just a handful of fights that end with the same boss characters and that's it.

There is actually tiny little story bits for each character that you unlock after beating the trash main story. But these are stupid too. Basically you pick a character and get some text storyline, then you fight ONE round, and winning gets you a short little story movie that is more often than not, completely lackluster.

So to sum it all up Tekken 7 is more Tekken. Personally I have been away from the series for so long, it is nice to just be able to jump into a Tekken game again and being familiar with everything out the gate. The online play seems tight to me, I didn't notice any lag or connection issues (I played on PC so console online experiences may vary). The new stages are cool, and some have some cool transitions like round two changing the stage completely or being able to knock your opponents through walls and into new portions of the map, all cool stuff but nothing really unique to fighting games anymore. The game runs beautifully, the fighters all feel great, the controls are responsive.

There isn't much more to say other than it is a Tekken game. If you have played Tekken games in the past, but have been away from the series for a while, this is a worthy game to get back into. If you've been playing every previous Tekken entry, chances are you aren't going to find much worth while here. Not enough has changed in terms of the fighting itself, and the new modes are trash.

I'm having fun with fighting people online though, and it is nice to play Tekken again. However I can't honestly give the game as high of a rating as I would like because it just doesn't feel new enough and what is new here isn't very good. So 6/10. There is fun to be had here if you don't have high hopes for new fighting mechanics or modes.

I always found Tekken more fun because it was so easy to button mash the shit out of everything. None of these complicated directional inputs (unless Tekken has that too, its been almost a decade). Yeah, I willfully admit I am dogshit at fighting games.

But there is no way I would pay full price of it. I have a hard time buying fighting games that have good story modes, and that'a all I would ever play in a fighting game.

Bob_McMillan:
I always found Tekken more fun because it was so easy to button mash the shit out of everything. None of these complicated directional inputs (unless Tekken has that too, its been almost a decade). Yeah, I willfully admit I am dogshit at fighting games.

But there is no way I would pay full price of it. I have a hard time buying fighting games that have good story modes, and that'a all I would ever play in a fighting game.

To be fair Tekken has some stupidly insane combo inputs. There are several combos with 60+ inputs required.

I haven't played Tekken in forever, not since 5. Tekken 7 was like seeing a dear old friend again and realizing I still have just as good a chemistry with him as before.

Yeah, the story mode is trashy, but I enjoyed it for what it was. The only real negative was that it was over before I felt it'd even began. If they'd been able to splice in the character episodes within the story mode then I think they would've really had something.

And yeah, the lack of character FMVs at the end of arcade mode was a shame, though the character episodes pick up a bit of the slack in that department. I loved Paul's, and Eddy being forced to being a back-up dancer.

No Lei Wulong though. :(

I put most of my thought of the game in the fighting game thread suffice to say I enjoy it but it should have been a whole lot more. Its not as disappointing as SFV but it pales in all aspects to something like Revelator 2 (except for the fighting in which both allow a high skill ceiling and are very different from one another).

For single player there is also a treasure battle which is basically a ghost mode where you get money to unlock customisation items and customisation items outright. Its pretty fun for what it is which is basically a non stop battle mode where you see how far you can get before you are defeated but you are gaining rewards along the way.

There is a customisation mode allowing not a lot of (good) customisation bit like Injustice 2s but without stat boosts.

There is a gallery/cinema mode allowing you to see lots of artwork and all the CG from the series which is pretty neat, so good to see Tekken 2 stuff again aka the best in the series for me still. Bring back Michelle dammit and get rid of Julia although neither are in this game. Even better than GGs tbh so kudos there.

PS4 version has a jukebox mode allowing you to listen to all the music for the series which is neat.

There are no other modes so no Tekken force (dont care personally as always thought it was garbage) and no Tekken Ball :(. There will be a new mode coming later and apparently it is rumoured to be Tekken bowling from tag 1 so dont get your hopes to high.

Online has rooms, rank, player and online tournament mode.

Have been unable to check online for me because for a lot of people myself included it is near impossible to get a match. Yup online matchmaking problems again ala SFV. Hopefully they fix it pronto.

Netcode is delay based and the game has higher offline delay than previous Tekken games much like SFV has and like in that game it is suspected as being a very lazy way to get a parity between online and offline play i.e instead of make online better make offline worse. Apparently however for those lucky enough to get a match it feels fine. As people drop off however it may not be as good.

Also it seems you will more likely have online problems on PS4 than PC although both are likely.

The game does not feature crossplay so plus one point to capcom I suppose next to their mound of -1s.

There is a season pass which will feature 2 new characters from other series apparently so bit like Akuma maybe and one new mode. Buying it also unlocks some new customisation options. It does not look like they are going mad on DLC unlike Capcom and Netherealms but it seems very pricy if that is all we are getting like even more than Arcs (none with Rev 2 though so good job there).

decided to give the game a try. I'm surprised theres no tutorial mode, or combo trial mode at all. Seeing as this is a mainstream game, compared to most fighters.

online matchmaking is terrible in this game. can't enter rooms, sometimes you are stuck till a match ends, because it doesnt let you leave room.

tekken seems to take some getting used to. it seems like execution is pretty easy for simple combos, compared to many games. It's just knowing what combos into what, and either spending time figuring it out, or looking for online resourses. I only learned to backdash faster by looking up some youtube vids.
it seems kind of turn based to me. Mainly reading high, low, mid, waiting for combo to end, and counter string. I just can't think of any other fighting game that plays like it. Though I just started and the only other 3d fighting game I played was DOA, which plays nothing like this. after being used to examu/aksys 2d air dashers, and doa, this game does feel really slow paced.

I might play this a bit more and get decent at it, not that much time to game atm.
I havent had time to digest the story mode. customizing clothing is fun, though takes awhile to get fight money, and I think there should be more skirts for the girls.

Is there a beat-em-up mode like in Tekken 6? Cause...that was the fucking best! 5 had it too, but 6 did it way better.

I'm going to shuffle this thread across to the user reviews forum.
I think it'll be more at home over there.

Saelune:
Is there a beat-em-up mode like in Tekken 6? Cause...that was the fucking best! 5 had it too, but 6 did it way better.

Sadly, no. They better had not made it DLC. Tekken 7 is a great game and fun to play though.

CoCage:

Saelune:

Sadly, no. They better had not made it DLC. Tekken 7 is a great game and fun to play though.

...Welp, Im not buying.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here